Lace & Bobbles Crochetalong

JulieKay

Hi Danielle.

I'm glad you're still out there and certainly didn't mean to forget you ! I am in so many CAL goups, it's hard for me to remember who is in which one .

I'm glad you guys are all still in here together to help each other out ! :)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good grief... is this STILL post holiday burn out? I've put away my smaller projects and hope to get this and at least some of the GFG done before I get going on anything else. I hope to get through row 47 tonight. I know, my sig line is wrong, but not for long!

I must confess, spring fever has hit, and I've been spending more time at geocaching.com than I have been here. We dusted off the GPS this week and it felt great!

I found Crochetville tonight while doing a search for a... ah.... help with this pattern where it becomes square. I'm working on two at once, since that seems to be easier for me, and I left the pattern at home. (It's extremely slow at work right now and I'd rather do something constructive than read.) I was able to count stitches and finish the medallion center, but due to the shiny thread in the pompadour yarn, I couldn't get the count for the second row where it begins the square.

Friends introduced me to this pattern a few years ago. I told them they were crazy. I've crocheted since 1977, and made baby sweaters my Mother never attempted from a pattern book copyright 1954. Momma said I didn't know I couldn't make that fancy sweater. My neice asked me to make an heirloom baby afghan for her, since she had a miscarriage everytime her Mother started one and she didn't want to jinx the pregnancy. My friends finally talked me into trying this pattern, so I suggested it to my neice, after I started my scrap version. A true scrap afghan. (Pretty is not a word people use for that thing.) I forget how old Miss K. was when I started the scrap thing. Then, when I was getting over half done with the pink/white version, I was told to make a blue/purple/white one. Since both of her children have afghans, I'm working on yellow/green/white for child number three. Yes, it is just as beautiful in baby yarn.

If you'd like to see what it can look like in baby yarns:

http://www.louisville.edu/~mmberr01/photos/MVC-877S.JPG

In the background is the THING. For those using old 4-ply yarn, I will warn you the popcorn/bobble rows will take about 4 oz.

Let's see, I made the scrap, the pink/white, the blue/purple/white and then I decided to try a single color. I used various white yarns. Well, one of my friends turned around and did it in white thread. (Size 10.) Then, I used the pattern on the rows after it becomes a square and made a triangular shawl in shades of burgandy/maroon. I've made so many shawls in the past, this was a challenge, but not that difficult. Oh, yes, I did use the pattern and make a poncho. (Leave out the medallion.) It was shaded from light pink to burgandy. I don't have a photo out where anyone can see it right now. I sold the thing on eBay and I kept a photo. I need to create a scrapbook of my work.

For the baby version, I mixed Red Heart, Bernat and some TLC baby yarns. We don't generally think of moving away from the reccommended weight of yarn. It works as long as you keep the entire thing in the same weight. I didn't come up with the idea for using baby yarn. My friends did. If you'd like to see some more variations go to www.sisterscreations.com. Vicki and Barbara have won blue ribbons in the Kentucky and Indiana State Fairs with this pattern.

Someday I'll chart this *&^%!! pattern so I won't go through the fight every time because I don't work in the round. I change direction every row. My biggest problem is when I get to the cross-stitch row, I never have the number of cross-stitches the pattern calls for. Vicki told me it has to be the corners. THEY have no problem.

I'm right after the cross-stitches on the baby one, and ready to begin the square on the Mexicana/red/yellow/purple/green...... one. Not sure what all will be used. My friends chose a variagated yarn and then use the colors in the varigated yarn. I'm using the Mexicana to move from cirle to square.

Nice to have found this wonderful forum! I learned to knit properly in December, but crochet is my first love.

I found Crochetville tonight while doing a search for a... ah.... help with this pattern where it becomes square. I'm working on two at once, since that seems to be easier for me, and I left the pattern at home. (It's extremely slow at work right now and I'd rather do something constructive than read.) I was able to count stitches and finish the medallion center, but due to the shiny thread in the pompadour yarn, I couldn't get the count for the second row where it begins the square.

Friends introduced me to this pattern a few years ago. I told them they were crazy. I've crocheted since 1977, and made baby sweaters my Mother never attempted from a pattern book copyright 1954. Momma said I didn't know I couldn't make that fancy sweater. My neice asked me to make an heirloom baby afghan for her, since she had a miscarriage everytime her Mother started one and she didn't want to jinx the pregnancy. My friends finally talked me into trying this pattern, so I suggested it to my neice, after I started my scrap version. A true scrap afghan. (Pretty is not a word people use for that thing.) I forget how old Miss K. was when I started the scrap thing. Then, when I was getting over half done with the pink/white version, I was told to make a blue/purple/white one. Since both of her children have afghans, I'm working on yellow/green/white for child number three. Yes, it is just as beautiful in baby yarn.

If you'd like to see what it can look like in baby yarns:

http://www.louisville.edu/~mmberr01/photos/MVC-877S.JPG

In the background is the THING. For those using old 4-ply yarn, I will warn you the popcorn/bobble rows will take about 4 oz.

Let's see, I made the scrap, the pink/white, the blue/purple/white and then I decided to try a single color. I used various white yarns. Well, one of my friends turned around and did it in white thread. (Size 10.) Then, I used the pattern on the rows after it becomes a square and made a triangular shawl in shades of burgandy/maroon. I've made so many shawls in the past, this was a challenge, but not that difficult. Oh, yes, I did use the pattern and make a poncho. (Leave out the medallion.) It was shaded from light pink to burgandy. I don't have a photo out where anyone can see it right now. I sold the thing on eBay and I kept a photo. I need to create a scrapbook of my work.

For the baby version, I mixed Red Heart, Bernat and some TLC baby yarns. We don't generally think of moving away from the reccommended weight of yarn. It works as long as you keep the entire thing in the same weight. I didn't come up with the idea for using baby yarn. My friends did. If you'd like to see some more variations go to www.sisterscreations.com. Vicki and Barbara have won blue ribbons in the Kentucky and Indiana State Fairs with this pattern.

Someday I'll chart this *&^%!! pattern so I won't go through the fight every time because I don't work in the round. I change direction every row. My biggest problem is when I get to the cross-stitch row, I never have the number of cross-stitches the pattern calls for. Vicki told me it has to be the corners. THEY have no problem.

I'm right after the cross-stitches on the baby one, and ready to begin the square on the Mexicana/red/yellow/purple/green...... one. Not sure what all will be used. My friends chose a variagated yarn and then use the colors in the varigated yarn. I'm using the Mexicana to move from cirle to square.

Nice to have found this wonderful forum! I learned to knit properly in December, but crochet is my first love.

WELCOME and your baby ghan is just GORGEOUS! I took a look at the other combinations and they are just lovely too! I never thought about doing this in baby yarns. Might have to try that at some point.

I hope you got the pattern to figure this out soon and I know that we are here to cheer everyone on that is doing this afghan!! It can be trying at times, but it is such a gorgeous ghan! I know that once I finish mine, I will be starting a second one as well.

Big hugs and welcome again!! :hug:hook

Hello Garden -

Welcome to the gang. Looks like you have lots of experience with this afghan ! I LOVE the pink one. Wow, is that pretty ! The others are petty too, but the pink is my favorite !

Drop in , stick around and post whenever you want. It's always nice to have a new person in the group ~ :)

For the last couple of years, Vicki & Barbara (co-workers) have been brining in the Lace & Bobble afghans for me to photography for their web page. I'm looking for suggestions on how to photograph the thing. I have the photo they took ages ago of the baby version, and I don't think it's necessary to lay it out flat every time, but does anyone have any ideas how to drape the afghan to show the use of colors? I don't have any place where I can get high enough to lay it out flat and get a decent photo. It's also hard to find a bright enough location to give even lighting in the building. I've been known to take some photography paper to an unused lobby and lay the things on the floor.

I'm asking this in part because after posting last night, I read all of the copyright information. My head will quit spinning someday. I will eventually get their web page up to date.

Well, I remembered to bring the pattern into work with me this afternoon, so I'll rip out round 14 and get that section to finish the square done.

For those who wonder why I chose "Gardenhumor" you can read my commentary on gardening and humor: http://www.mmberry.com/garden_humor.html

I've got to bug a family member to fix my password again, so I can login and update my main webpage.

Looking at Gardenhumor's pink baby ghan, which is beautiful, it occurred to me that in baby yarns this pattern takes on an heirloom quality. I fully intend to make it as a scrapghan (one day), but I'm going to keep this pattern in mind for my next baby blanket, too, as it would just knock a new mama's socks off, I think.

Looking at Gardenhumor's pink baby ghan, which is beautiful, it occurred to me that in baby yarns this pattern takes on an heirloom quality. I fully intend to make it as a scrapghan (one day), but I'm going to keep this pattern in mind for my next baby blanket, too, as it would just knock a new mama's socks off, I think.

Natasha, I thought the exact same thing! I just think it is just sooo beautiful and old world looking.:manyheart

:eek I need help ladies!!! :eek

On my L&B I used the magic ring that Donna has on her webpage. I love it!

Okay, well, last night I see that the whole in the center of the medallion is big (not small like I made it) -- THEN I see my daughter sticking her finger in the middle of it and THEN I notice the *tail* sticking out!!!!! The magic ring has come undone!!

So I grab it and try to weave and tuck it back in the best I can -- but I have a feeling it's not going to last!!! :eek I'm really terrified that it'll come undone and I'll have a huge mess of a formerly beautiful ghan on my hands.

I was thinking of trying to tie on more yarn to the end of it -- if I can locate it and dig it back out -- to give me more weaving power and then maybe tie a knot around one of the dc in the center? I don't know how to repair this one!!!!!

Any suggestions?

:eekI need help ladies!!! :eek

On my L&B I used the magic ring that Donna has on her webpage. I love it!

Okay, well, last night I see that the whole in the center of the medallion is big (not small like I made it) -- THEN I see my daughter sticking her finger in the middle of it and THEN I notice the *tail* sticking out!!!!! The magic ring has come undone!!

So I grab it and try to weave and tuck it back in the best I can -- but I have a feeling it's not going to last!!! :eek I'm really terrified that it'll come undone and I'll have a huge mess of a formerly beautiful ghan on my hands.

I was thinking of trying to tie on more yarn to the end of it -- if I can locate it and dig it back out -- to give me more weaving power and then maybe tie a knot around one of the dc in the center? I don't know how to repair this one!!!!!

Any suggestions?

I don't know what the magic ring is? Do you have a link? Then maybe I can help you out?

Well, I've never seen anything like that before!

When I make my center ring for anything, I leave a tail long enough that I can crochet whatever stitches OVER that tail all the way around. Then when I sl st to complete the circle, then I can pull on that tail and it will make the hole smaller. Seems to be on the same idea, but you don't have to crochet around a ring of yarn. That seems to be loose and can come undone, but my way never can as it's anchored by the sl st in the original chain. Plus, it's buried under all the original stitches in the circle.

Does any of that make sense??:think

yep, that makes perfect sense. I never thought about it ever coming undone......or that my kid would stick her finger in it and *play* with it!!!! Kind of makes me mad -- she's 18, not 4!!! Ya know? You'd think she'd *notice* the yarn coming loose and undone???

Anyway, I really need a solution!!!

Is there any way to weave it back in? That's the only thing I can think of. Get a darning needle and go for it. I would definately be knotting it somewhere to make sure it didn't happen again though.

Good luck and let me know what you end up doing!

:hug

Hi there! I'm back from a long weekend in Lake Tahoe. Took this afghan along and got to row 40. I think I frogged as much as I crocheted :frog:2frog:frog:2frog:frog:2frog because I was interrupted and distracted so many times (family trip) but it was still nice to work on it. I took a pic which I'll post soon. I am so excited with how gorgeous it is coming out in the alpaca! I know I will have to add rows to make it large enough but I don't care. It is so pretty and fun to work on! Can't wait for you all to see it!

Welcome, Garden! Your baby ghan is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing the pics of your friend's, too, because it is fun to see the many faces of the L&B!

Cristin - when I read about your dilema, I envisioned some 5 year old poking at your ghan... then I read this was your 18 year old~!!!! I can relate. What I'd do is try to tie it off if you can locate the end again. What a drag!

Cheers! Mare

Garden ~ I neglected to comment on your beautiful versions of the L&B! LOVE the pink baby version.........now I just need someone to have a GIRL! Lots of boys lately.

I haven't even sat down with it again to attempt further repair. I'll try to get it from the point where I would traditionally sl st it to the chain 3 in the first round.....see if I can add more yarn and weave it in really secure. I talked to her about it - she said it was an accident (I KNOW she didn't *mean* to, it just freaked me out).

I have company again this week (everyone loves Florida in March!!), so I'll sit down with it again next week for sure. Meantime, it's stashed away from pokey fingers... :lol

Well, as you can see... it's a slow go for me but progress is being made. This is up to row 33. I am so loving this alpaca yarn. It is soft and the stitch definition is awesome.

Image is clickable

th_march14row33-2.jpg

Mare

IT'S BEAUTIFUL!!

I may have to get rid of all of my *ahem* Red Heart yarn and join you in the alpaca world! It's simply gorgeous!!

So, what does one do with a truckload of Red Heart?????

So, what does one do with a truckload of Red Heart?????

Thanks, Cristin... That truckload of Red Heart is wonderful for all the usefull afghans! This alpaca ghan is for my friend... she lives alone and even her grandkids are pretty much grown so this ghan won't have to be thrown in the washer all the time. The alpaca is very strong - unbelievably strong for how fine it is, but as a natural fiber, it won't take rough washing in the washing machine... it would felt! I do love it, though! Very soft and warm!

You guys won't believe this, but I'm actually caught up (for the moment) with gifts - so my next project is a tote bag. After that, I'll have to start searching out some afghan patterns! :lol

Archived