New to crochet

happytee40

Hello, I just started learning to crochet. I found this site last week and noticed the crochet-along. Cathedral Window I am sure I will not be able to do this one yet but I would like the pattern. Where can I find? :think How long does it take to feel like you really know what you are doing and how to read the patterns. The class I went to was only 4 nights and I dont think I have the reading thing down yet.:(

Welcome to Crochetville! I've been crocheting now for 5 years. When I started I felt like I was all thumbs, and now I'm even doing intricate doily patterns with size 30 thread. As you go along and make more and more things, you will remember more and more and won't have to stop in the middle of directions and ask what does that mean all the time. Two things I did that helped me get going (I was mostly self taught). I got one of those I Can't Believe I'm Crocheting Books (a self-teaching book) and then very methodically went through each lesson. I ended up with little swatches of SC stitches, HDC stitches, DC stitches, and then a circular little thing as I learned to crochet in rounds. Start out in yarn in a light color as it is harder to see your stitches in dark colors. Take your time and go through the book learning all the stitches. Next I got a book that had some pretty dishcloths. I got some Sugar-n-Cream cotton yarn in all kinds of colors and made some really beautiful dishcloths and learned how to read patterns more. To show you how ignorant I was when I started, I remember one of the first dishcloths I made, as I followed the pattern along, at the end of the 2nd row it started putting how many stitches total I should have. They had the number in brackets at the end of the row. Only I didn't know it was the total number of stitches in the row I just crocheted. I thought I had to do something that many times. I must have spent an hour trying to figure out what that number was in the brackets!! :blush Finally something clicked and I was off. I hope you do better than I did! It is such a rewarding and wonderful hobby. I wish you much success and joy in your future projects.

Again, welcome to Crochetville!

Archived