Purple felted bag

francesca

Here's my most recent felted bag--before and after. It's a birthday/Xmas gift to a family friend who is known affectionately as Queenie.

I made it with Lamb's Pride worsted wool/mohair yarn and also a variegated Noro worsted yarn in 100% wool. Fortunately, they felted quite well together despite differences in fiber content and weight (the Noro is actually a bit lighter in places than worsted).

Here's the before felting photo. Look how sad and droopy it looks!

69425386_f9b9d07067_m.jpg

And here it is after--happy and sturdy and ready to be filled up!

69425380_aefeedf3ce_m.jpg

Thats pretty cool, I've never felted. Think I'm gonna have to give it a go. But first....finish a few items already laying around. Getting tired of picking them up to vacum :eek

Do you line your bags? Is it open, or does it close? Snap? Zipper, velgrow??

Thanks everyone!

Just to answer a few questions:

Yes, you can very easily felt in the washer. Hot water, lots of agitation, a drop of detergent, and lots of vigilant monitoring! After the bag came out of the washer, I dried it upside down over a piece of cardboard so it would have a square shape in the bottom.

I've thought about lining the bags, but I don't know thing one about sewing. I mean, I know the very, very basics, but I wouldn't know how to shape a sewed liner. I have two friends who are amazing sewers & I even thought of sending a couple of my felted bags to them to make linings!

Since this is kind of a tote bag, I didn't put any closure on it. I'm making a small handbag next, and will probably sew in one of those magnetic closures.

Thanks for the info regarding lining etc. I agree tote doesn't need it, just trying to wrap my brain around this type of project for on down the road. Keep us posted on the new one.

Thanks everyone.

Indeed I am also addicted to felting. I'm assembling one bag today to felt & then starting on the next one! My laundry room smells like a wet sheep.

Did you use the same or different pattern?

• 2 weeks later...
I love your bag, did you use a pattern or free-hand wing-it? Love the colors. :dance

I just sort of winged it. I crocheted a square and then started crocheting in rounds, in a spiral. The accent yarn I used was strongly variegated so when I changed yarns it still didn't look too obvious even with crocheting in a spiral.

I've felted 2 more bags since then. It's been fun, but I am getting a little tired of wet-sheep smell, pulling little balls of wool out of the washer, and having wet bags dripping in various corners of my house! I'll post the pictures soon. Frankly, I'm happier with the bags I didn't use a pattern for.

Francesca,

Have you tried putting your pieces in a pillowcase and securing the end with a rubber band? That way you don't clog your washer with lint? I've used the spin cycle on my small pieces and they have come out well, they still take a while to dry, but not as long.

Francesca,

Have you tried putting your pieces in a pillowcase and securing the end with a rubber band? That way you don't clog your washer with lint? I've used the spin cycle on my small pieces and they have come out well, they still take a while to dry, but not as long.

I spin mine also and have not had a problem with getting creases. I've also tossed some peices in the dryer and they've come out great, too.

I use one of those zippered pillow protectors that you put on a down pillow. I think I paid 3 or 4 bucks for it at Sears and I've used to for at least 5 bags and it's not showing any wear yet. This works well, too, if you want to do your straps and bag at the same time. If they are done together in a loose washer, the straps can end up wrapped around the agitator or each other or the bag and end up not fulling properly.

Cheers!

M

Francesca,

I use one of those mesh "delicates" bags which protects the piece, but does let lint balls out. I might consider one of those zipper pillow-protector bags one of these days.

Archived