Fisherman's scarf

francesca

I was commissioned by my mother to make a few scarves and other gifts this holiday season. I decided to crack open the Vogue scaves book and challenge myself with the so-called Fisherman's Scarf. It wasn't until I took the WIP to my Stitch & Bitch meeting that I learned why it's called that--the narrower, ribbed section at the middle keeps the scarf from slipping off the neck and keeps the nape of the neck nice and warm.

I had bought a gigondo cone of Lamb's Pride worsted yarn in raspberry and thought this was a good project to try it out on. The middle section of the scarf is incredibly boring to do--29 rows of 80 SC in the back loop--but the two "lace" ends are fun.

Here's the result:

62276838_080d61c733_m.jpg64511450_ffcf2bd8f0_m.jpg

Thanks everyone!

I just was looking at the pattern again to see that it's actually a Seaman's Scarf. Duh. I got confused after the discussion with my S&B friend who asked if it were a fisherman's scarf. From what we understand, it's the same thing/concept.

How beautiful! I was just thinking I wanted a really pretty scarf that I could make out of a single color, and that seems perfect. Now if only the copy I checked out from the library didn't have a HOLD on it. . .:blush

I think I need to break down and purchase my own copy.:hook

Thanks, everyone. I do think this scarf works best in a solid color, to show off the texture & stitches. I think they would get lost in a variegated or even heathered yarn. I used Lamb's Pride raspberry worsted (did I already mention that?).

Archived