Mr. Snowman

earthwhisper

I like him without arms!! Great job on him....who says that Snowmen have to be perfectly round? I think that it is the wobbly ones that looks like one good push will send them rolling that are the best...theys got car-rat-ter as my nephew would say!

He's perfect. I agree with stick arms though. ( I was actually thinking that when I saw him but see others had the same idea.):)

Thanks everyone! I will consider writing the pattern up. I have to get some Christmas presents done first though or my husband will strangle me. He told me I could only write the pattern if I charged 1 million dollars....

I guess he thinks that is how much my time is worth right now, ha ha. :lol Don't worry, it will be a freebie and I bet I will have it done before December. It is a fast crochet, so once I get it written it will only take a few hours to make.

I can tell you a simplified version of the pattern without going into details. I started out with a flat round surface...you know, crochet in the round like you are making a crocheted round pot holder or coaster. Then, work upwards evenly you do this by not increasing. I did the bottom in sc and then everything else was hdc, because I was kind of impatient.

When you get to where you want the first snowball to end, you throw in a few decrease rows...try to space the decreases evenly. The next snowball, increase a row or two then work evenly again without increasing for the second snowball. Decrease a row or so when you are ready for the last snowball, then do a row of increase for the head and work evenly until you want the end of the last snowball...decrease again, this time work the decreases until you get to where you can comfortably stuff him, don't close off the hole yet.

Stuff him and then decrease until you have a handful of stitches then bind off and sew through the top stitches and sinch him closed.

For buttons, chain 2 then work 4 sc in first chain, bind off...you have a button. Make 3

For eyes, chain 2, bind off in first stitch...(I think this is what I did.) You can also just do a french knot.

For nose...chain to length of nose you want, then slip stitch back a few stitches and sc the rest to the base of the nose. Working back towards the tip, try to slip stitch the width of the nose together to make a tube. I really don't know how to explain this, but I kind of played around with it until I got a nose like shape.

Scarf, Chain to length of scarf you want, dc one row, then dc in back loops second row. Bind off...add fringe.

Hat...ch. 2, 4 sc in first chain, increase evenly until you have the width of the top part of hat you want. Then, work evenly without increases to get the tube part of the hat. When you are ready to do the brim, you increase again. I ended up with kind of a wavy brimmed hat.

So...those are the basics of Mr. Snowman. If you can follow these guidelines, you can pretty much make your own version. If you like following a step by step pattern, I will *try* and work one up before December starts...think the last week...or day of November. ;)

• 2 years later...

Archived