Eyelash afghan

badrhinogillett

A project that large out of eyelash yarn -- you are my hero. I never attempt anything large because I always end up having to frog something. You CANNOT frog that stuff!!!! You must be awesomely perfect or really patient. :D

Thank you..... I"m new here... what does "Frog" mean? And Actually, while most eyelash yarn makes you want to stick the hook in your eye rather than rip back, the Carmen is so monumentally soft that it just glides when you need to rip back. That being said, I"m only double crocheting the whole thing, so there really isn't anything complicated going on. Plus, I think combing it with the RH helps.

Chrome, I know what you mean about the Carmen. I've crocheted a couple of scarves with it, and I've developed something akin to a fetish. When I'm wearing one of the scarves, I can't stop petting it! I think I'd be afraid to cuddle under a whole afghan made of it. I'd probably go mad!

Badrhinogillet wrote:

Thank you..... I"m new here... what does "Frog" mean? And Actually, while most eyelash yarn makes you want to stick the hook in your eye rather than rip back, the Carmen is so monumentally soft that it just glides when you need to rip back. That being said, I"m only double crocheting the whole thing, so there really isn't anything complicated going on. Plus, I think combing it with the RH helps.

:2frog:frog Frogging is a for-real word that means to rip out what you have done...get it? Rip it, rip it, ribbit.. It is also a term used in knitting.

How many skeins so far? I think about 22. I ordered 40 off of Mary Maxim when they had a yarn sale and got it, with shipping, for about $120. Expensive, but half the price of Michael's. Right now the afghan measures 51 inches long and about 53 inches wide. I'm using a P hook. The afghan is for my DH, and he likes to be able to bury himself up in it and have plenty left to cuddle.

I figure that I'll make the afghan around 7 feet.... since he's 5 foot 6 that should be more than enough to wrap around his feet and cuddle up by his neck. The 40 skeins should more than last...... and if they don't, then the afghan ends up shorter. I told him I wasn't paying full price for it.

My daughter likes to cuddle under it already as I'm working on it, and we've discovered that it can go over all three of us, so it will be nice for family time.:manyheart

No way is that a bad deal! $3.00 a skein for that stuff is excellent. Not to mention that if you bought it at a craft store, they wouldn't be all the same dye lot or have 40 of the same in stock. Are they all the same dye lot? Not that you can tell anyway, since there are some variances in the colors. I was thinking of making a LB Suede throw, and it will take about 18-20 skeins. Luckily I have about 15 skeins of different colors, but I still paid about $4.50-$5.00 a skein! I would consider that an expensive blanket/throw!

Too bad that you are using a beige color, a few weeks ago I picked up two skeins of Carmen in a greyish color and I have no idea what to do with it. I was thinking of a trade of sorts, maybe for some more LB Suede! :D

Ok... I'll be done with the body of this in the next few nights. Now I need to figure out how I will finish it off. Any ideas? I'm just doing Double crochet, so I figured I'd boarder it in a round or two of SC. THen, last night, my husband asked if it was going to have fringe. But I don't think Carmen would make good fringe, do you?

Any help would be appreciated.

Carmen most definitely would not make good fringe. It would become a fuzzy mess in no time, trust me. I think it would be a waste of effort to make a fancy edging, as well. You wouldn't really see the definition in the stitches. A couple rows of sc or hd should be just fine.

Frog :2frog means to rip :rip something out. (rip-it, rip-it.....ribb-it, ribb -it) Not fun.:thair. I love the afghan. Very soft and cuddly, I'm sure. :c9 (When are you making me one??? JK!!!)

Whoo... I'm glad to have that finished. My DH and daughter are snuggling under it right now!:c9

No sooner had I put it on their laps than I picked up a different skein of yarn and have started in on the Giant Granny Afghan for my daughter's day care provider. That's just another project for christmas.. I'm figuring it will go fast.

Archived