Stash busting.

I had a bunch of sock yarn sitting around and decided to get rid of it by making a jacket. I am almost finished.   Needless to say, the colour pattern is not symmetrical.  It is a real clown-like hodge podge of shades, as I used a double strand.  So, I had Red; Flax; and Variegated.  That's 3 yarns in different permutations and combinations.  Do the math!

So, my question is:  I know there's no Crochet Police lurking about,  but do any of you just go for broke in using up your yarns and not worry about the colour result so long as the shape of the garment is nice?  This is a warm jacket and I do intend to wear it in public...

Dare I publish a photo of it here?  😝

Edited by Horsy
  • Like 1

Of course we want to see it. If you like it or even if you really don't but it's a good warm jacket, that's all that matters. I don't make garments, but I've used up random small balls making potholders and dish cloths without regard to the colors going into them.

@Greyhoundgrandma.  Many thanks for the encouragement.  All I have to do is make pockets (my least favourite job) and block, and then haul out our 20-year old, barely-functioning digital camera...

I've never blocked such a thick, heavy garment; I wonder how that's going to work out. Hope it doesn't go moldy. 

Have you published photos here of your little stash busting projects?

Using sock :yarn for a jacket, interesting. Sock :yarn usually self-stripes with the right pattern. If you really think it's bad, you can wear to an "ugly sweater" party :lol . Wasn't there a "coat of many colors" in the bible :think ?

Ellie 13

Edited by Ellie 13

@Ellie.  Yup.  When I hear of the biblical "coat of many colours", my jacket is exactly what I think it might have looked like (assuming a literal interpretation of the Bible.)  Thanks!  

I used 2 strands of sock yarn because that is what I had on hand and did not realize I would end up with such a thick, dense, heavy coat.  

Never heard of an ugly sweater party...😆

• 3 weeks later...

Ugly sweater party: when people throw party where everyone wears a sweater that you wouldn't be caught dead in. Most are thrown at Christmas time and the sweaters have snowmen/reindeer/elves/etc., some even light up or glow in the dark.

Ellie 13

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks.  The rear view looks shorter than the front because it was stretched horizontally and pinned that way on a structure instead of hung on hanger.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...