No Recent Crochet Successes

As many of you know, I just started crocheting this summer, and I have been working on a variety of projects pretty consistently since then. I'm getting discouraged though because nothing I have crocheted recently has turned out well. By this I mean, it isn't good enough for me to wear or to give to someone else. You must understand that I am a perfectionist, but I am not unreasonable. I can live with a minor flaw here and there. Here is a list of what I've been working on and the results:

Wool Ease Thick and Quick Crocheted Purse-Came out too wide and design wasn't useful.

Dot's Ditty Bag-My ONE recent success.

Lisa Gentry's Mary Beth Purse-Came out way too loose. Woudn't stand up. I know that this is because I went up a hook size. It was too hard to work with otherwise.

Easiest Shawl Ever from CrochetMe-Wasn't nearly as big as the one shown in the photo, and I ended up using three skeins of yarn rather than two! The triangle was very flat as well. I know that my base chain came out a little long, but would that make THAT much difference?!

SLK Baby Hat-Came out too small. I know this is because I went down a hook size, but when I used the H hook, the stitches seemed too loose, and it didn't look good. I know next time to use worsted weight yarn and an H hook for it to work out.

Miss Essie's Hat from the Fall 2005 Crochet Fantasy-Came out WAY too big. I cannot figure out what happened here. I followed the pattern exactly and my gague was correct as far as I can tell.

Adult Size Crocheted Rolled Brim Hat by Janelle Schlossman (found on CPC)-Came out too small, but I admit I do have a large head. It would be okay except there is a long straight piece of yarn at the top of the hat where I started the round, and it is a flaw that I cannot live with.

Finally I made one of the Delicate Booties from the Annie's Attic booklet "Precious Baby Booties." I ended up with 32 rather than 36 stitches around the circumference of the bootie, which makes the attached sole bunch up. One top of that, it just doesn't look very well made to me, but I am willing to admit that my expectations may be unrealistic.

I also started the Lion Brand Homespun Crochet Ripple Throw but I never could get the number of stiches in the base chain to work out, so I've given up for now.

I don't want to give up crocheting. I keep finding patterns I want to make. But I am very discouraged. I would appreciate your feedback and advice.

Thanks!

Katy

Maybe you could find a SUPER easy pattern (scarf?) that is fairly quick so you can finish it and have a sense of accomplishment?

I know how discouraging it can be.

Also, be proud that you finished all these items!! I've been crocheting off and on for at least 15 years and I can't even count how many projects I scrapped because of lack of interest or whatever.

I agree. Look for something that's a one skien project, maybe a scarf or something simple that you can enjoy rather than stress out over and build from there. When I started, I wanted to make large projects, but always lost interest. Once I learned more stitches from making smaller projects (I have some very interesting dishcloths) :) the larger and harder projects made more sense. Hang in there; it takes time. Definitely don't get discouraged. Perfect or not, the fact you have finished that many items is an accompolishment. Also agreeing with Hooker, I can't tell you how many projects I haven't completed because of frustration or loss of interest. Just keep looking and trying, it will get better!!! :cheer

Kathy you have done alot of project this summer you should be proud of the fact that you have learned how to read patterns and follow through, yes they may have not turned out but like Hooker said and I totaly agree I also cannot count the project I have gave up on for some reason or another.. I been crocheting for years but only learned how to read a pattern like 2 years ago, still they are all written different. Sometimes I would geuss that the pattern was written wrong and do something else second geussing it and that is also wrong because I have found that I have to do exactly as the pattern says not what I think it should hook size well all hooks are a little different aswell a susan bates H will look very different from a steel H in my opion I have all kinds of hooks and they rarely match up in size from brand to brand they are off the tinyest bit, but then that is why they give you the gauge to use, which I rarely do as well.

I recently tryed to make my first sweather Jacket a pattern in Crochet World Oct issue. I am convinced this is written way off I spent a week on it first I tryed the large way to big , the small is way to small and the med is way to big I had the right hook with the right gauge etc. I have since started to turn the Jacket into slippers and a hat and a scarf and more whatever else.

Maybe you should for your next project take all the things you learned and make your self a small project that you make up the stitches as you go and then you can go back to a patterned project later. Just know your going to be ripping out alot of stuff we all do or scrap it all together. The point is to enjoy yourself. Be very proud of your efforts and trudge on is what I say:cheer

hi, I think th eimportant thing is that you seem to have learned from all of your oopsies. I have not been crocheting for much longer than you have so I know exactly how you feel, I can offer this, If you really want to do the ripple, have you tried the ripple formula? Its not a pattern but a formula so that you cna make it as large or small as you want it. i cant find that link right now, but maby someone else has it, or i can look again if you are interested, just let me know. Also, I would suggeast this pattern, it is my brainless crochet project and can be done in any kind of yare suitable fo ran afghan and any colors, I always have on going.....

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/ccusa-grandGrannySquareAfghan.html

but kudos to you, at least you didnt give up!

I think you are doing great. Don't get discouraged I know when I first started to crochet it seemed like EVERYTHING I made came out wrong......Made a sweater that ended up fitting my little sister, hats too big, things too small etc. The important thing is to keep on doing the projects, I promise it will get easier and you will "develop" your tension and skills. Also don't be so hard on yourself (yes I know easier said than done) Again I say keep at it :hook

hi, I think th eimportant thing is that you seem to have learned from all of your oopsies. I have not been crocheting for much longer than you have so I know exactly how you feel, I can offer this, If you really want to do the ripple, have you tried the ripple formula? Its not a pattern but a formula so that you cna make it as large or small as you want it. i cant find that link right now, but maby someone else has it, or i can look again if you are interested, just let me know. Also, I would suggeast this pattern, it is my brainless crochet project and can be done in any kind of yare suitable fo ran afghan and any colors, I always have on going.....

I agree... try doing something really easy and brainless for a bit. I've been crocheting for almost 30 years but most of the time I make afghans or dishies so that I don't have to think too hard or concentrate on the pattern. I'm usually too tired or busy ot devote the brain cells :lol It's nice to do the fairly brainless projects because you are still getting something done without all the stress.

Hang in there!

Katy,

Don't feel discouraged. Some of the problem could be in the patterns themselves. Often patterns will have the guage wrong or a misprint in the stitch count, etc, even published patterns. We have all run into these kinds of problems and we have all had patterns that just don't work to our satisfaction. Here is a post about this very problem.

I agree with what the others have said, in that maybe choosing a simple project (like a scarf) would help to restore some of your confidence. Another idea though, might be to go through the show and tell or original patterns postings and see if there is something there that you would like to make. That way you know that someone has worked the pattern and had it work out, and there is someone around to ask if you run into a problem. We are a very friendly group and I know I would not hesitate to help someone on a pattern I have already worked.

Something you can do with your undesireable projects is to donate them to your local homeless shelter. You may not feel that they are worthy of giving to anyone, but I am sure that there is someone out there that will love it regardless of it not being perfect. As long as it is functional, I wouldn't worry about giving it away.

I think we all go through this at one time or another.

My strategy is to turn to something that I know I can do well, have done it before.

See if this thread can help:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12591&highlight=brainless

Smaller projects like hats, potholders, squares might help you get through a period like that. Or taking a break from crocheting, just looking at patterns, yarns might work, too.

Also, we need to make mistakes in order to learn new skills. It's just hard to accept them.

Good luck:)

Wow I think you have a lot to be proud of! It took me several months to be able to read patterns after I started. I agree with the suggestions to try making some small projects ... make a simple hat, a scarf, something that will work up quickly. There's absolutely nothing wrong with making something simple - some of my favorite projects are the really simple ones. :)

I have never ever been successful with baby booties. I'm not sure why; so I think I just accept it. lol.

I'm trying to figure out how to say this without sounding cruel... but I've donated a lot of my projects to charity because I didn't like them. Not that I'm trying to clothe the less fortunate in ugly crochet, because they weren't super ugly. They just didn't look good on me. And I figured it could keep someone warm.

I've also frogged a lot of projects. I have made 4 different things with one skein of yarn until I finally made something I liked.

I do find that a well-written pattern makes a world of a difference. Stay away from Leisure Arts. And when in doubt, blame the pattern ;).

I still make mucho mistakes, and I have to force myself to count stitches in every row to make sure I'm doing things right. Counting stitches is so much easier with plain yarn; so staying away from novelty yarns may help.

Another thing that helps is realizing that it'll never be perfect. If you don't like it, give it away. Other people are unlikely to see the "flaws" that you see in the project.

Don't give up! And if you want to feel better about crochet, maybe try knitting. I finally tried knitting and was so bad at it! that made it so nice to go back to crochet!

IMy strategy is to turn to something that I know I can do well, have done it before.:)

I totally agree! When I'm frustrated, I make something that I've made before and it turned out nicely. When I finish a project that I really like, I usually end up making it again - good confidence booster. lol.

Don't be too hard on yourself!!! I, too, am a perfectionist at everything I do and have mellowed a bit. One of the things I have to keep reminding myself is that just because a button hole may be off, or one sleeve may be longer than another, that adds to the uniqueness of it! If I make something that I truely do not like, I frog it! My recent Cat Afghan took forever to make and when I look at it, I see all the mistakes I made with it. When others see it they usually say the same thing "WOW"...

I took the Wilton Cake Decorating classes last year and was always very hard on myself with my cakes. My instructor always told us that we are our own worst critics. I would look at another students cakes and say "That's beautiful, I wish my roses turned out that nice!" And she'd say "Yuck! They're off centered and I don't like it at all. I really like your cake though. Even though your roses didn't turn out looking like roses, they are a great mistake that I wouldn't know was a mistake if you hadn't told me."

Remember, nothing in Crochet is ever supposed to be perfect except in Magazines! LOL

when i first started, well when i second started, i kept with just making hats.... sometimes they would turn out bad and too small. i tried different patterns until i found one that i liked and then after i mastered it a few times i got creative with it by changing up a stitch or adding shells and similar things. i really understand how frustrating it can be!!! i am also a perfectionist!! maybe you can turn the hats into little purses by adding a long chain of yarn and weaving it through them and when you bunch it up they make wonderful little purses:) just a thought. anyway gooooood luck:)

jenny

Wow, Katy! You've been so busy with all those projects! I'm stunned by how much you've done since summer.

I agree with what everybody else says about not being too hard on yourself, and perhaps making something easy for a change (scarf?) so you'll have a sense of success.

Here's something else to think about: athletics. Take competitive swimming, for example. At swim practice there's lots of emphasis on getting kids to swim a bajillion lengths. There's often no concern at all about quality of stroke - it's all just building up strength and endurance - and speed, later on. The coach knows that with enough practice, the basics will be there, and the swimmer will eventually be able to develop a perfect and powerful technique.

Like those would-be champion swimmers, you've been putting in lots of basic development work, and all that will help so much in the long run. And you've learned so much lately! The work you've done on the projects you've listed will all help in some way down the road, even if those projects didn't turn out as expected.

I'm sure you'll flourish.

This is an easy one to do! It was the first thing I ever crocheted. Maybe you should try something easy like that.:hug

hi, I can offer this, If you really want to do the ripple, have you tried the ripple formula? Its not a pattern but a formula so that you cna make it as large or small as you want it.

I thought about this, and after I read your post, I looked up the ripple formula in my Encyclopedia of Crochet (EOC). It is different from the Lion Brand pattern, so I'm going to try again using the formula in EOC and see how it comes out. Also, I have been wanting to try the other pattern you suggested, so I'm glad to know it's a good one. Thanks!

As many of you know, I just started crocheting this summer, and I have been working on a variety of projects pretty consistently since then. I'm getting discouraged though because nothing I have crocheted recently has turned out well. By this I mean, it isn't good enough for me to wear or to give to someone else. You must understand that I am a perfectionist, but I am not unreasonable. I don't want to give up crocheting. I keep finding patterns I want to make. But I am very discouraged. I would appreciate your feedback and advice.

Thanks!

Katy

Dishcloths. They are quick and have that instant gratification factor. If you do them in soft cotton, they are lovely gifts. There are tons of patterns out there and you don't even really need a pattern. Any stitch pattern can be a dishcloth. You don't commit to a huge project and it helps you learn how the stitches all work together. If you have to frog it, you haven't put that much time into it so you can always start over.

Hats are also small projects and good for learning, especially rounds.

I think your being to hard on yourself altogether. You have done fantastically well to even attempt half of what you,ve done. In everything you see mistakes and problem. Hey you couldn't do it at all once! If you truly hate what you've done pull it out and make something else. But think if you were teaching some one would you be this hard on them, I think not. So be your own best friend and be kind to yourself. You have learned a lot of valuable things from every "mistake'. That in itself is a lesson no one else could learn from. Write a diary of the things you learned through the faults you see and you will look back later when your head is in a different space and you will see the value of what this has taught you.If you were already an expert there would be no need to learn anything. Be kind to you , you've done brilliantly just to have a go. Jacqui

:eek I am not a perfectionist in any shape or form and I dont want to be one.

If you want something perfect, get it made in a factory by a Robot. That is my motto.

A pattern is really only a guide so if you want to change it, that is just what you should do. Learn the dynamics of Crochet and you will then be able to adapt patterns to suit you.

I know it is hard when you are just beginning but believe me, it will get easier, especially if you ease off on perfection.

:hook Years ago, I decided that if something was too fiddly to make, I would not waste time on it but give myself permission to stop in the middle of it and start again on something else.

You have been very ambitious with what you have attempted so have really set yourself up for failure. Pat yourself on the back and give yourself a medal, then unravel anything you dont like and start again. Maybe some of your items can be adapted into original ideas.:think

The simple things are great for learning stitches on so, as others said, try dish cloths and scarves and work back up to the bags and purses.

My experience covers 50 squillion years so believe me, I have had failures too as have everyone else here. :grandma :rose

Have fun.

Colleen.

Katy, from my prospective I think you are trying the wrong things since you just started crocheting. Why not try a simple scarf, or maybe a simple potholder or hotpad...and then work into more complex things. Don't give up, remember "one stitch at a time".

Remember: if you screw up once, it's a mistake; twice, it's a pattern. :lol

Think of them as learning experiences rather than mistakes. I've found that unsalvagable learning experiences make really good pet toys. :cat :dog

Also, everyone is right. Don't worry so much about being perfect. Perfect is for tax returns and brain surgery. Crochet is for fun. :yay

Archived