Boxing Day 2017 (any charity work!)

babypoohsmom

Ha ha Darski, your "pretend" projects are a major accomplishment to me! I do like the instant gratification that comes with making hats. I use patience when quilting so I guess crochet is my way of getting a quicker reward.

Cindy, thanks for the link. I agree with you, sometimes flowers overpower cute hats!

Looking forward to a long weekend. (Martin Luther King holiday on Monday). Maybe I can get more of my C2C project done. I really like the way it is turning out!

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finished up a skein of yarn after making the square hat with a sweater and half a hat :rofl

I'm not sure which hat to use with the sweater.

post-4896-0-31062700-1484402255_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-30452100-1484402265_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-02484100-1484402227_thumb.jpg

I'm ahead by a couple of days on hat making by finishing up some bits of skeins.  that is where baby hats are so useful.

I finished up a skein of yarn after making the square hat with a sweater and half a hat :rofl

attachicon.gifset01.jpgattachicon.gifset02.jpgattachicon.gifset02a.jpg

I'm ahead by a couple of days on hat making by finishing up some bits of skeins.  that is where baby hats are so useful.

Nice sets. I favor the traditional looking hat at the bottom, but I know the square hats are very popular. You could consider including both hats.

Sooooooo cute! I agree with Cindy - the square hats are very popular but I do like the traditional hat. The flower makes it perfect! You really do lovely work.

I watched both NFL games today and very nearly finished my C2C afghan. My hands were just too tired to push on to the finish. I may put this in my Etsy shop (which is empty) because the shelter needs some cardboard scratcher boxes that attach to the kennels so if I sold a few things, I could order them. I guess it is still technically for charity, but on a longer road... I also have a quilt that just needs binding that I will list too. I have my hat for week #3 done and just need a picture of it.

post-13802-0-43285400-1484458838_thumb.jpeg

attachicon.gifset01.jpgattachicon.gifset02.jpgattachicon.gifset02a.jpg

Those are very cute.

Sooooooo cute! I agree with Cindy - the square hats are very popular but I do like the traditional hat. The flower makes it perfect! You really do lovely work.

I watched both NFL games today and very nearly finished my C2C afghan. My hands were just too tired to push on to the finish. I may put this in my Etsy shop (which is empty) because the shelter needs some cardboard scratcher boxes that attach to the kennels so if I sold a few things, I could order them. I guess it is still technically for charity, but on a longer road... I also have a quilt that just needs binding that I will list too. I have my hat for week #3 done and just need a picture of it.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

It looks very nice.

Here is hat 3 for week 3. Same yarn from Micheals that I have used many times.

post-13802-0-68538500-1484541953_thumb.jpeg

I started a baby hat today, according to my chart, it should be about 3-6 months.

Darski, since you make so many baby outfits, how do you know what size they are? Is there some chart that shows the size the back (or something) of those baby sweaters has to be for a certain size? Bob Wilson 123 has a handy chart for hats, but I haven't found anything for sweaters.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I started a baby hat today, according to my chart, it should be about 3-6 months.

Darski, since you make so many baby outfits, how do you know what size they are? Is there some chart that shows the size the back (or something) of those baby sweaters has to be for a certain size? Bob Wilson 123 has a handy chart for hats, but I haven't found anything for sweaters.

Nice work. The colors on the c2c are so pretty.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Nice hat.

I just make them starting with Moogly's Baby in Bloom pattern and figure it will fit some baby sometime.  I do pretty much the same thing for hats... they will fit someone somewhere and I leave it up to God to match them up.  I'm sure some people with large heads or small heads are happy to find a hat to fit.

Ha, ha, I like that...let God match them up.  Never thought about it that way.  I imagine that someone at a crisis nursery or something would have an easy time eyeballing sizes, but not me.  If I find anything while digging around the internet, I'll let you know. 

In case anyone is interested, I found a 20+ page PDF at a site called yarnstandards.com that had all kinds of sizing charts, needle and yarn conversions and stuff like that. I printed off the 3 pages I think I would use the most and bookmarked it in case I need anything else. I guess you can find just about anything on the internet these days.

another hat and sweater in blue this time.  I can work on the granny ghan over time.

post-4896-0-74999000-1484631936_thumb.jpg

I decided to treat myself to a special box for this year's hats.  I'm desperately trying to find crafting time and I have no room for crafts :(

post-4896-0-46211600-1484631950_thumb.jpg

another hat and sweater in blue this time.  I can work on the granny ghan over time.

attachicon.gifset03.jpg

I decided to treat myself to a special box for this year's hats.  I'm desperately trying to find crafting time and I have no room for crafts :(

attachicon.gifbox1.jpg

what a lovely set,Darski,especially that adorable hat

Darski, I absolutely love the blue. I know I sound like a broken record but that is an adorable set. And I like your "hat box"!!

Cindy, that is just chunky wonderfulness! Is that chunky yarn or more than one strand held together? I've never done anything like that before. My bestie would love that. I promised her a messy bun hat that I have not made yet (oops).

I played yarn chicken with this C2C and lost. 6 skeins and it is only about 28" square. I guess that is ok for a wheelchair or lap blanket for a senior. It is very soft and thick. Now I *have* to go to Micheals and see if I can get another skein. It was on clearance so I am concerned about finding another one. There were knots in all 3 of the decrease skeins, so just the bit of yarn I used to skip the knots seems to be all of the difference.

post-13802-0-25011000-1484801080_thumb.jpeg

Lol, I just realized that Panda photo bombed my picture.

Well Cindy, that is the perfect yarn for that hat. Nicely done!

I went to one Micheals store tonight. They had some of that brand left, but not that color. I was going to go to another one on my way home from volunteering but it's pouring rain here and people in Arizona really don't know how to drive in the rain, so I'll try agin tomorrow. We absolutely needed the rain we have been having to snap us out of the drought we've been in. It's nice to see the lakes back up at the proper level.

Of course this invariably means that everything will grow like crazy and then we will have fires in the summer when all the greenery dries out, so I guess we can't win!!

Well. I gave up driving to different Michaels stores after #4 and called #5 and yup, they say they found one skein. I was very happy. Probably a little more excited than a person should get over a skein of yarn, but oh well. I'll go tomorrow after work and hope it really is the right yarn!

Also, I forgot to post a picture of hat #4 for week #4. I don't have the ends weaved in yet, but here it is. A baby hat in the Tezzie pattern. The pattern is very cute in this tiny scale. Maybe it's hard to tell scale, but trust me, it is small. I don't think this pattern really needs a flower.

post-13802-0-11871100-1485231296_thumb.jpeg

I am doing well on the hat front - I have enough for January and one to start Feb.  :eek

I started this ripply ripple ghan a good while ago and this new CAL has got me going enough to finish it.  I so hate making ripply ghans but by the time I discovered how badly it ruffled I was too far into it to stop.  I knew if I started over I just wouldn't start another. :(  I know where I went wrong but that doesn't help this one :rofl

post-4896-0-89608900-1485360616_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-06848200-1485360615_thumb.jpg

post-4896-0-44981800-1485360618_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-09802700-1485360620_thumb.jpg

It really is pink, white and navy (not black)

I made this set because I wanted to use up the yarn with a sweater after making the hat and now I have started a blankie butt hat could take months to finish.

post-4896-0-88578700-1485360632_thumb.jpg

Hey Darski, everyone here told me that my ripple that didn't lay flat was ok, so I chose to believe! At least you know what happened to yours. I have no idea how mine went wonky. If the baby gets all wrapped up in it, who cares if it's wobbly? A nice flat project would probably get stretched out by a baby anyway.

I did finally get my hands on that skein of yarn to finish my C2C. Now I just have to figure out the math on those. I either have way too much left over or come up short. More on that later. I've been fighting a cold all day and need sleep.

Archived