Boxing Day 2017 (any charity work!)

babypoohsmom

How is your hat box looking Darski?? It must be getting full.

Not sure which hat pattern I'm going to use this week. I need some inspiration or it will be a plain old DC hat.

Maybe I'll just do a double or triple strand hat. I haven't done one of those in a while.

And Hi to Cindy! Glad to see you popping in for a look.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at me, ahead of the game. I did hat #9 tonight.

I bought this mill end yarn...

post-13802-0-45554000-1488171064_thumb.jpeg

I had to run it through the ball winder 3 times (long story) and then started a basic hat. But this is that kind of yarn that goes thick and fluffy to really, really thin. The thin part was just too thin for a series of stitches in a hat. It looked like a big hole. I tried to pull it out after about 4 rounds, but it kept catching on itself and eventually the yarn broke. So I tossed it out and started a new hat with the yarn and some plain black RHSS held together. Success. I must have had a premonition that I would be doing a two strand hat!!

post-13802-0-58310600-1488171076_thumb.jpeg

Yes, the box is almost full now.  I'm not putting in the hats that became baby sets but it is still quite full.

I'm going back to my red/white Sesqui ghan for a while.  I'm at the boring 'just do dc until your eyes cross' part now.  :eek  :rofl

Well, sorry you are at a boring point in the beautiful Canucks project. For me boring = relaxing. I mean, I do enjoy learning new stitches and trying new patterns, but for after work at night, same old same old is ok with me!

In fact, I decided to make hat #9 a twin brother. Almost done...!

Check out this Larksfoot st inspired ghan.  I have to make one of these - a wheelchair ghan size at least.

found it from a Facebook post.  I keep planning to leave FB but then I get notices like these :shrug

I really like that afghan....but it looks like sewing is involved. I hate sewing squares together and those projects take me forever to finish.

Check out this Larksfoot st inspired ghan.  I have to make one of these - a wheelchair ghan size at least.

found it from a Facebook post.  I keep planning to leave FB but then I get notices like these :shrug

I really like that afghan....but it looks like sewing is involved. I hate sewing squares together and those projects take me forever to finish.

Darski, I like that pattern, but I never have luck with the larksfoot because I crochet too tight and can't loosen up that drop stitch.

Are you still working on the Cannucks ghan? Or has your new "boyfriend" been too distracting?

I used this Red Heart pattern:

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

To make hat #8

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

The problem is that the hat circumference is only 60 stitches instead of 72 like you see very commonly.

It fits me very tight, so I'd like to make it bigger, but I am not too clever at figuring out "the math" of repeats. But I sure do like the look of this hat. My brim has a few more rows, again, because of my tight tension.

Nice hat. I have the opposite problem, my tension is always too loose.

Look at me, ahead of the game. I did hat #9 tonight.

I bought this mill end yarn...

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I had to run it through the ball winder 3 times (long story) and then started a basic hat. But this is that kind of yarn that goes thick and fluffy to really, really thin. The thin part was just too thin for a series of stitches in a hat. It looked like a big hole. I tried to pull it out after about 4 rounds, but it kept catching on itself and eventually the yarn broke. So I tossed it out and started a new hat with the yarn and some plain black RHSS held together. Success. I must have had a premonition that I would be doing a two strand hat!!

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Nice hat. I like the colors.

How cute is that? Is the bunny just overlayed on that block? (My iPad won't open the PDF right now)

And the hat is just too cute. I saw some Teenaged Muntant Ninja Turtle hats that were made a lot like the Minion hats that were so popular a few years ago. I need to put both of the hats in my queue.

#10 hat didn't turn out to be a twin, but a cousin instead. Pictures tomorrow. Tonight after volunteering, I planted myself in front of the boob tube and crocheted a dish cloth. A few weeks ago I started one where you were supposed to alternate front loop and back loop sc, easy right? Not for little Miss Crochet McTightly, so I pulled it out. It was so tedious. Then I used the same yarn to start over.

There is a Michaels right next door to the Petsmart where I volunteer so tonight I picked up an interesting and very new house brand of yarn with my coupon for $2.60. It's very soft. Again, photos tomorrow so I can explain it better.

Also, tomorrow is yarn day with my friend so I am going to try to take pictures of some of her lovely projects to share.

I "had" to take Monday off because my vacation time is maxing out, so maybe I can get some sewing done this weekend too! Yay!

The baby set is def a charity item but the Neon hat and cowl may just end up staying home.  the variegated yarn is much better looking in person.  I started with the hat and then added the sweater.  I used the remainder to start the ripple and one last row.  I had enough left to make a goodly flower but no more :rofl

post-4896-0-73531700-1488923643_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-56543800-1488923645_thumb.jpg

The hat would let me use my (really big) earphones and the cowl is so comfy cozy.

post-4896-0-64036200-1488923640_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-04469000-1488923642_thumb.jpg

I think that I have officially got my crochet back.  still start and stop but I can keep going.

Woo hoo! Nice work Darski. The colors really pop on that star. I really do have to try one again (I had that disaster with the blue one last year). Yours always look so FUN!

And hey, charity starts at home. You have to keep yourself warm, right? That yarn is so cheerful even though it's 50% black.

Glad you are back in full swing.

I have a baby hat in the works and another C2C on the hooks as well. Did a dishcloth on Sunday, but I'm keeping that...have to get some made for Christmas gifts. I really need to buy some sock yarn so I can try that crochet sock pattern. So many fun things to do. A friend at work is retiring this month and I am so jealous. I hope she spends her precious time wisely!

well I started an octo but then I found the rules and my work is not tight enough for them.  I think I will finish it and donate it anyway.

it isn't that far off the mark and it would make a cute addition to the newborn nursery.  I don't think our hospital keeps preemies.  Not set up for it.

Wow, the octopus story is pretty incredible!! How do these things get figured out?

I am not sure I understand the last bit. Are you making a "plug" so to speak, to close the bottom?

My crochet is so tight that mine would probably turn out to be a preemie octopus. Hmm. I guess I will have to take a try at it. I actually have a yarn octopus I made when I was 7. It started out with 11 legs...I started over and it had 10, and the third time it came out with 9 legs so I just decided to keep it that way. I have the world's only 9 legged octopus!! I remember making one for our mailman.

But I digress. Thanks for sharing the story Darski!

well I started an octo but then I found the rules and my work is not tight enough for them.  I think I will finish it and donate it anyway.

it isn't that far off the mark and it would make a cute addition to the newborn nursery.  I don't think our hospital keeps preemies.  Not set up for it.

ETA:  well my octo did not work out at all.  One of the tentacles does not curl properly.  It is quite sad actually  :cry  - pathetic looking :eek 

Aw, poor little octo! Can you get an orthopedic crocheter to fix his tentacle?

Or he can be a septapus? (Ok, clearly I don't know what a creature with seven legs would be called!)

Hi everyone. Hat #11 is for a little boy. I had a bit of this baby yarn left over. I took two pictures. The first one was in my room on the bottom of my laundry basket...

post-13802-0-06253600-1489362919_thumb.jpeg

The second one was sittIng on the cat tree next to the sunny window...

post-13802-0-29008100-1489362933_thumb.jpeg

Boy, they sure don't look like the same hat at all. The color is most like the one I took next to the window.

Darski, any surgical options for your octopus? Or have you decided that octopus toys are not your calling and are halfway through a new star blanket?? Lol...

Hi everyone. Hat #11 is for a little boy. I had a bit of this baby yarn left over. I took two pictures. The first one was in my room on the bottom of my laundry basket...

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

The second one was sittIng on the cat tree next to the sunny window...

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Boy, they sure don't look like the same hat at all. The color is most like the one I took next to the window.

Darski, any surgical options for your octopus? Or have you decided that octopus toys are not your calling and are halfway through a new star blanket?? Lol...

I love, love , love that green hat :manyheart

the standards are apparently very strict and I can't crochet tight enough to meet them. I used WW cotton and a 4.mm hook - no go.

I enjoyed making the little guy but I can do other stuff so I'll put my talents there.  and yes, I am working on a black/white/grey 10 point ripple that is just wonderful.

I'll post a pic when done but it is adult sized rather than a baby ghan.  I might try this ghan pattern with a pink or blue instead of the grey in a baby ghan.

Ha ha, I knew it! I knew you'd be on another blanket by now.

I get what you mean about the octopus. Why fight to make one when in the same time you could make a dozen hats?

I feel the same way. I like to try new things but I don't dwell on what doesn't work.

My next hat will be from the pattern called Brainwaves. It's free on Ravelry. I have gone back and started to re-watch some of Margaret Olander's old you tube videos and jotted down some of the hats she did that I wanted to try.

I took the messy bun hat to my friend yesterday. As I feared, it was a bit too small. Need one more increase round. So she's going to give it to her sister who lives in CT and has two boys that play hockey, so she spends a lot of time in the cold!!

So...the "brainwaves" hat did not work out. My brain was obviously not working right. I had the right number of stitches on round 8, but it didn't look right. So, #12 is just a DC basic made with two strands...one an old Joanns store brand that is supposed to be a #5 chunky and some really thin mill ends. I started with a K hook then went down to a J hook.

post-13802-0-02266700-1489817735_thumb.jpeg

post-13802-0-66953200-1489817754_thumb.jpeg

Hat #13 is the same as the one from yesterday, only red. The mill end pack came with 4 skeins of pink and 1 red.

I tried to take a picture of the two yarns I used, but the yarn balls were too much for the cats to ignore. First Sunshine came after them...post-13802-0-71134400-1489906075_thumb.jpeg

Then Panda...post-13802-0-51517300-1489906091_thumb.jpeg

Here is the hat! There are white highlights in the yarn, that's not the white from the foam head.

post-13802-0-38536400-1489906104_thumb.jpeg

And a better picture of what the pink mill ends looked like:

post-13802-0-12966700-1489906118_thumb.jpeg

Archived