Best Yarn/Crochet hook for teaching kids?

Emily Bernstein

Question

Hello all! Looking for some help! I'm a teacher, and I may start teaching an afterschool class at my school with crochet. It would be potentially 2nd grade-middles school ages. I'm pretty comfortable with how to teach and in what order (thinking I'm going to start with chains and see how it goes).  What I'm really looking for is specific recommendations for yarn and hook size. The kids will be picking the yarn up before class, so I'm looking for a yarn that is readily available at a chain store like JoAnn Fabrics or A.C. Moore. Doesn't have to be the absolute cheapest available, but not expensive, available in a variety of colors (I'll tell them to pick a light color). It also can't be wool (allergies). Any ideas?

If anyone has other recommendations about a specific pattern (probably going to start with chain, go to single crochet and make a simple scarf) or ideas for teaching them how to position hands correctly, I'd certainly love to hear that as well! Thanks so much!

8 answers to this question

How wonderful for you to take this on!  I'm sorry I have no clue on what a "good" hook size for children learning would be but wanted to tell you what a great idea you have in doing this!  Oh and I love the kitty on your shoulder too!  :)

My one recommendation is to try an H or I hook to start the chains.  People often start the chains quite tight and getting into those chains can be hard.  A larger hook creates the larger chain without having to worry about making the chain larger.

I've never had an issue with acrylic, you just want one that doesn't split too easily.  While I like the softer yarns for my hands, the downside is they split more easily which can be tough for a beginner.

I agree with Bailey4, my first hook was an I size, which worked nicely with Red Heart Super Saver or equivalent.

Granted, I was about 15 when I learned to crochet, but I'd been embroidering with a much smaller sewing needle and thread since I was 5 or 6.  I've seen some people suggest bulky yarn and huge hooks for kids, but second graders and older have the motor skills to handle the 'normal' stuff.  Plus, RHSS is tough stuff and can stand up to ripping out a few times; it's also inexpensive and available everywhere.

I'd suggest maybe something smaller than a scarf, that's sort of a large project - unless you use it as a continuous 'never ending' stitch pattern sampler (x inches of SC, x inches of DC, etc).  If not long enough for a proper scarf, could be seamed for an infinity type cowl.

I remember that one of my first projects was a hat, worked as a rectangle, sewn up the sides into a tube, gathered at the top with a pom-pom.

Fingerless mitts (calling them texting gloves might make them more interesting to kids) can be super simple, just rectangles with an interrupted seam up the side to leave a hole for the thumb.

Maybe a cowl, the type that is just a tube pulled over the head, or a strip that is buttoned (chain stitch button loops would be easy); or an earwarmer/headband.

my grandma taught me at a young age and I started with an I hook too. I had no trouble with it, easy to hold and see the stitches

I learned w/ H and I hook I to start the chain and the first row and then to switch to a larger I hook for the rest of the rows....Yes and scarf would be a good start or even a wash cloth.... I would suggest Red Heart or now Joanna has there own brand called Big Twist Value Brand which is similar to Red heart....

P.S. Find simple patterns & also teach them to read them...for doing the wash cloth or the scarf this teaches 2 things :O) plus if they go home and get another patterns online they know what to look for after they learn to read a pattern too....

I have taught many children of all ages from 4 to 18 and I always started with an I/9 metal hook. It was always Boye hooks years ago until Susan Bates hooks became more readily available. The yarn was cotton and the stitches to start were chain, then sc and when the student was comfortable they made a 9" dishcloth with a sc border, then potholders. Their sense of accomplishment has been so rewarding through the years and fun to them as well as me. I have seen a few pieces the kids (now grown) have made through the years and all the teaching and patience was more than worth the effort. Some of their works are downright gorgeous. Have fun on your endeavor and Happy Crocheting.

Thanks everyone! I'm thinking I'm going to try it with an I hook. I'm borrowing some kids on Thursday to use as guinea pigs before the class starts =). The class will be six hour-long classes, so in the class I'm going to start with a chain and pretty much go from there depending on how the individual kids. For my 'guinea pig' session I'm going to do both some chaining and have some started squares to teach sc with, we'll see how it goes! Wish me luck!

Hmmmmm I usually recommend a K.  My reasoning is that larger hooks make larger loops that are easier to see both by the student and teacher.  Not spoken from vast experience, but from my own meager attempts at crochet and watching my grandaughter learn.

Archived