Save on yarn?

CrochetAK

Do you live close to one of the big craft stores, JoAnn's, Michael's, AC Moore or Hobby Lobby?  If yes, use their coupons.  They all take each others coupons, so check all four of the sites, including any that aren't in your area.  The coupons are typically 40-60% off of one regular item.  (I only use the ones that are 50% or more.)  JoAnn's and Michael's both take multiple coupons as long as they are from different stores.  It's called stacking.  So you can buy 3 or 4 items at a time, using the coupon from each one.  AC Moore is in the process of deciding if they want to allow stacking.  I'm not sure about Hobby Lobby's policy.

Typically the coupons on the regular price are better than their sale prices.  However, they all put yarn on sale every week.  Sometimes the sale price is just as good as the coupon.  For example, AC Moore puts their 4-ply cotton, Premier and Sugar N Creme, on sale for 10 for $10.  So, watch the sale prices as well as the coupons.  Also, they all have 1-2 days where they offer 15-25% off of your entire purchase, including items on sale.  The extra discount typically brings sale prices down to the same as using a higher coupon for one regular item.

Lastly, check out their loyalty deals.  AC Moore has 2 loyalty deals.  Sign up for their rewards program and they'll send you $10 in the mail when you accumulate enough points.  They also do buy a $50 gift card and get a $10 gift card free.  I buy gift cards and only use them when buying yarn.  It's like getting an extra 20% discount.  JoAnn's has an extra discount if you're a teacher, student, professional crafter, non-profit or military.  Michael's has an extra discount if you're a teacher, military or senior.

Note: If you're buying multiples of the same yarn and need the same dye lot, make sure that the store you're using has enough of that dye lot.  Use the coupon stacking to get 3 or 4 at the same time.  Put any more that you need at the back of the bin.  Go back the next day to get more.  Don't wait too long to go back.  The chances of someone else buying the same yarn with the same dye lot are slim within the same week or so.  The chances increase if you wait too long.

If you don't live near any of the big craft stores, Walmart has the best non-coupon prices.  They'll also match sale advertising from the big craft stores, but not their coupons.

If you don't live near any of these, JoAnn's and Michael's offer their discounts with online purchases.  Amazon is slightly higher for yarn, but offers free shipping.  Buying yarn online is risky, because you can't control the dye lots.

Edited by redrosesdz

If you are buying online, sign up for emails from the company and you will know when the yarn is on sale and also get coupons that may include cheaper shipping. The only problem with online coupons is you can only use one coupon on an order.

I buy from Joann, Mary Maxim, knitting-warehouse.com, and sometimes from the yarn companies themselves. I seldom buy online if it's not on sale because shipping makes the price higher to start with.

There are quite a few online shops that I've used and would recommend.  If you follow thier facebook page or sign up for emails, you get notified of sales.

Webs  http://www.yarn.com  has a huge variety of yarn and offer discounts when you order a quantity.   They have a huge sale in the spring but also always have several things on sale.  Their Valley Yarns are less expensive alternative for natural fiber yarns.  

Patternworks http://www.patternworks.com  also great selection, free shipping if you order $50 or more.

Jimmy Beans Wool  http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/secure-html/onlineec/yarnsHome.asp

Fiber Wild https://www.fiberwild.com

Also look for the websites of the small local shops in Alaska.  Even if you can't get to the shop in person, they may offer online ordering.  One shop in my area does this and offers $3 flat rate shipping for example....whereas if I drive there I will use 2-3 gallons of gas.  Although that is very much worth it to see and feel all the yarns lol.  But if I already know the yarn, or can't find it locally, i don't mind ordering online and paying for postage.  

This is very helpful in many ways and I thank you all for your opinions and experience, while I still encourage others to voice theirs as well still. In Anchorage, I have had some good experiences and some bad ones involving the hunt for bargains on yarn. It has been quite the adventure and struggle all in one. 

Where I am located, I am near a Micheals, Joanns, Walmart and Fred Meyers (aka Kroger for some). I have been to all four, each leaving a different taste in my mouth. My first yarn adventure was when my husband and I went to Walmart. I picked out several skeins, each of a different color but all were Red Heart. In my defense, I was very new still and learned from this experience to grab a couple, for they may not be there when you want them again. I don't know if its because we are so far north that shipments are ever constantly delayed or lost, or if my local Walmarts just forget to take inventory of the yarn section; which is also not even a full aisle mind you. There for when I returned to acquire more of previous said colors, they were not there, nor were they there for two months.

I think my most disappointing time though was when I went to Micheals. I had heard that I was able to stack coupons there as well as use competitors coupons there. So it was my birthday, received a gift card, my husband gave me some cash. I hunted down the best day for the sales, had my stack of Micheals coupons, and my stack of other coupons. I was so excited, i thought I had figured it all out and was going to make a grand escape with a ton of yarn for a little tiny price. I go in, I am shopping, I stack my tiny cart full of skeins, my husband sneaks in a crochet book. We go to check out and find that out of all my coupons, i could only use 1 micheals coupon only. That was all. I must of had this look of "exploding head syndrome" or something because then she said that she would let my husband use one as well in a separate transaction. That being said, i put the yarn on the counter silently, my husband takes the book. I get rung up and pay, my husband hands the book and coupon over, only to be told that the coupons do not work on purchasing the books in the store. Needless to say, I have not returned since.

My husband is also all over town all day when he is working, so he will occasionally stop in to Fred Meyers and take a look at the yarn and crochet hooks, (I think he is just trying to find stuff I don't have) when low and behold he found the color yarn I couldn't find at Walmart. Of course he bought one to show me, told me the bin was full. we went back a few days later in tow to buy a few more only to find that they of course are out. But then I saw a bin of Lions Brand Landscapes. It said $1.99 each, and next to it was a 20% off coupon. Again, I thought that I had found my deal. I had never worked with something so soft either and the ideas were flowing. I grabbed three of two different kinds (they had perfect lot numbers) and coupons, determined as ever. Go to check out, and they are $5.99 each with one 20% off coupon. I showed the manager the problem I was having just to be told there's nothing he could do. I admit, I had fallen in love with the yarn and guiltily still bought it. This is where the lesson of looking at the yardage came in to play, but that's a story for another time.

Thus far, my only good experience was with Joanns. I can use competitors coupons, competitors sale prices, multiple coupons from multiple companies all at once. I went in and grabbed a good $50 worth of yarn, went to check out and used my coupons and with the sale prices. I saved $26 dollars spent $24. I have been a Joanns fan since. They have a huge selection and a wonderful staff. Even the cashiers try to give you saving advice.

Admittedly, I haven't bought yarn online yet, I fear it wont be what I think it is. Like it may look soft and fluffy but really be course and itchy.  And this is the reason why I asked for advice and opinions so please everyone, keep them coming because I cant learn without YOUR knowledge!

Thank you all!

CrochetAK

PS I haven't checked small local yarn companies. I do support local, but never thought that would be a local shoppe ideal. So thank you for that and I will see what I can come up with.

I've never been able to stack coupons, but I do have DH wait in line to use a second one for me from time to time. 

If you have a smart phone I'd also suggest getting your favorite companies apps.  I find the coupons to be handy when I've forgotten to cut them out of the paper.  I also get additional offers that I don't get by email, mail, or paper.

I also would recommend Kniting Warehouse for online shopping.  I've had great experiences there.  I tend to comparison shop between JoAnn's and Knitting Warehouse because depending on the sales and shipping offers I go back and forth.  I don't tend to buy LYS type yarns so I only occasionally have to reach out beyond my local stores and those online options.  The few times I do need something beyond the basic brand yarns I tend to look at Knit Picks and Webs.  My attempts to use the local LYS stores to meet those needs have been more than frustrating.  I find it easier to shop online and find what I need.

As for local shopping I tend to use AC Moore first, Michaels and Joann's second, and Walmart as a general catch up since there is no way to predict what they'll have.  The prices are generally cheapest at Walmart, but selection is minimal.  AC Moore has the best local selection and price.  JoAnn usually has pretty good selection but prices can be higher locally than online.  I like Michaels own brand, but lately the selection has been really limited.  We recently got a Michaels one town over, so I'm visiting more frequently, but the yarn selection just isn't there.

As for books if you are interested in something specific check out Knit Picks and keep an eye out for their 40% off book sales.  I've gotten some amazing deals on crochet books there.  JoAnn's also has books on sale occasionally as well.

This time of year around here some of the Senior Centers have yarn at their holiday sale white elephant tables.  I've gotten some good deals but selection very limited.

As for the books in store and coupons, I almost never buy in store.  With my Amazon Prime and Barnes & Noble and waiting for online sales JoAnn's and Knit Picks I can almost always do better than in the store.  I've had problems with AC Moore taking coupons for books/leaflets too.  So, I just tend to look there and buy online.

Most of my yarn has come from dollar stores, Michael's, Joann's, and individuals who want to get rid of their stashes.

Even so, I have an on-line site I check a few times a month where I have gotten some beautiful yarn at bargain prices. It's Spinrite's own site. They own Bernat, Patons, Sugar and Cream, Peaches & Creme, and part of Caron. They have an e-tent where we can shop for discontinued colors and yarns. They also often have free shipping. The yarn is sold in bags of matching skeins, except the largest ones, like the Monster Balls. I actually have 2, 2 lb Monster Balls I bought there.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not have a large choice for yarn or craft shopping where I live either. I receive Jo-Ann's coupons by e-mail, snail-mail and use my cell phone app when I do get to go to a brick-n-mortar store many miles away.  Each of the stores (in different cities) take all my coupons, as long as the items are not on sale already- that's the key point. Last time I shopped there I saved $30 with coupons. I was thrilled! My biggest problem is just making sure the dates are for current use. LOL. Sometimes they are post dated. In fact, there is a new coupon available right now for 25% off total purchases. (I don't work for them- just sharing info).

I hope this gets resolved for you as I understand the importance of the need to crochet. :D 

So it finally happened. The day you go to the store with the intent to save money (while spending money) and win! So at the beginning of the month, we went into Joanns and once again I was in yarn heaven. Ideas were flinging, yarn was getting tossed in the cart at random. I dont know if your like me, but I will put several things in the cart, look it over and then proceed to put some back (where they belong of course), but this was one of those days. The ideas were just going so quickly before I noticed, the tiny carts they give you, was full. My husband laughed and asked if I was going to get all of that, it appeared to be over $100 to $200 worth of yarn. Sheepishly, I said no, then proceeded to grab a few more skiens that joined the cart. 

Needless to say, I went to the counter with my full cart, (this was a big deal to me after all, never have I bought so much yarn yet alone owned this much). I had made an agreement with myself and set myself with a limit of a double digit total, not a three digit total. All the while, I'm waiting for my husband to say something about how ridiculous this was or how crazy I am; none of which came.

Scan, scan, scan and the total was three digits. Then I remembered coupons and competetitors coupons and went diving into my phone. The cashier seemed less than pleased but what do you expect from a teenager dressed in a leopard print body suit and teen angst dripping from every pore. 

In the end though, I felt like I conquered the yarn venture this time with a total amount spent being $77.89 and a massive savings of $67.74.

Yes....now I feel better about this yarn pandemic. To top it off, my husband swiped his card before I could pull mine out, so proud he was of me and he left with a bigger smile than he did going in. He says this will be a tale for his book he will one day publish called "How to be a Real Man".

• Like 2

:lol (post 10)  Hail the Coupon Queen!  Well done!

Yeah, Michael's doesn't stack coupons (and in the tiny print, says the coupons don't apply to a lot of things including books unfortunately).  I hardly every go to Walmart for yarn, and if I do, and manage to find enough for a project, I buy it all at that time and don't count on it being there on the next visit.  Joanns has the best selection where I am, too (Oregon).

Herrschner's is another site to look at, they frequently have clearance sales; notice there is a companion site "Willow Yarns".  Someone mentioned Mary Maxim above, that site has a lot of free patterns as well.

Oooh! I love it too, How to be A Real Man! That's great!

I think you've got it now - spending $78 while saving $68 is real yarn shopping!

• 5 years later...
On 10/27/2015 at 9:04 AM, greyhoundgrandma said:

If you are buying online, sign up for emails from the company and you will know when the yarn is on sale and also get coupons that may include cheaper shipping. The only problem with online coupons is you can only use one coupon on an order.

I buy from Joann, Mary Maxim, knitting-warehouse.com, and sometimes from the yarn companies themselves. I seldom buy online if it's not on sale because shipping makes the price higher to start with.

On 10/27/2015 at 9:04 AM, greyhoundgrandma said:

I found I got great deals buying direct from yarn company, but the product came in smelly and filmy feeling. What I have discovered since then is how you can wash the skeins of yarn before you start a project; which made my crocheting project much better to work with.