My First Hairpin Lace Shawl

redrosesdz

This shawl is from the Tammy Hildebrand book that I'm working my way through.  I was going to post the shawls as I finished each chapter, see pineapples and motifs, but I'm so thrilled with this one, that I couldn't wait!  It's by far my favorite.

post-57407-0-63681100-1432991750_thumb.jpg post-57407-0-25913000-1432991775_thumb.jpg

I wish my camera picked up how sparkly it is.  The white has a gold thread through it and the black has a black metal thread through it.  They're both from Lion Brand's glamor collection.

That is really pretty.  I remember my Mom doing that.  I will have to try it one day.

You should!  It's super simple to do.  I finished this shawl in 3 days, because I was having so much fun with the hairpin loom and it went so quickly.  You do such beautiful work, that I'm sure you'd turn hairpin lace into something gorgeous in no time!

This shawl is from the Tammy Hildebrand book that I'm working my way through.  I was going to post the shawls as I finished each chapter, see pineapples and motifs, but I'm so thrilled with this one, that I couldn't wait!  It's by far my favorite.

attachicon.gifDSC00911.JPG attachicon.gifDSC00912.JPG

I wish my camera picked up how sparkly it is.  The white has a gold thread through it and the black has a black metal thread through it.  They're both from Lion Brand's glamor collection.

Fantastic shawl!  Giving me incentive to take a tutorial in hair pin lace crochet.

Thank you everyone!!!

Katyallen, I've seen your beautiful work, you could totally do this!

Wright, you should try it!  The start is confusing, but youtube makes it possible.  Once you get the first loop, it's really easy.  It's just wrap, sc, repeat.

Thank you everyone!!!

Katyallen, I've seen your beautiful work, you could totally do this!

Wright, you should try it!  The start is confusing, but youtube makes it possible.  Once you get the first loop, it's really easy.  It's just wrap, sc, repeat.

Thank you, I will try.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow that is very pretty. I have always admired hairpin lace patterns. I used to have a thingy to make it with, it came with a learn to crochet kit I had gotten years ago, but I think it's long gone. I will check joann and see if they have one. I think I will give it a go. I will use one of my 50 percent off any one item coupons they send me.

Thanks for the link. I went out and bought the hairpin lace tool yesterday. It was seven something and after the coupon it was 3 something! If I can ever finish this shawl I'm working on I will find a project to start. Also my daughter (who is 15 lol) wants this to hang from her ceiling but there is no pattern that I can find so I am just going to wing it.

post-5389-0-25874600-1434035150_thumb.jpg

and then there is this which is just too cute not to make

post-5389-0-98559800-1434035321_thumb.jpg

*sigh*

But I think I may try for a hairpin lace baby blanket depending on how hard it is. How long does it take to do one section on the thingy?

Those are really cute! Once you get the hang of hairpin lace, it doesn't take much longer than a row of scs.  The most time consuming parts are making sure that the first 2 stitches are in the middle and counting loops.

ETA: Hairpin lace isn't good for babies, because they can get their fingers and toes caught in the loops.

Good point. I could size it up for a toddler perhaps. I happen to have 2 of those lol. I would say we could do a.hairpin lace cal but whenever I have tried to start one no one has joined up. Are you planning on doing more h.l. projects?

Thanks for the link. I went out and bought the hairpin lace tool yesterday. It was seven something and after the coupon it was 3 something! If I can ever finish this shawl I'm working on I will find a project to start. Also my daughter (who is 15 lol) wants this to hang from her ceiling but there is no pattern that I can find so I am just going to wing it.

attachicon.gifowl mobile.jpg

and then there is this which is just too cute not to make

attachicon.gifsheep.jpg

*sigh*

But I think I may try for a hairpin lace baby blanket depending on how hard it is. How long does it take to do one section on the thingy?

That ceiling hanger is cute!:). That would be great for a nursery.

Redrosesdz is right that would not be a good idea for a baby blanket. I think that type of work it would not be suitable for any age and any blankets. It looks to me to be to "delicate" for that. But, that is only my opinion:).

Krys

Good point. I could size it up for a toddler perhaps. I happen to have 2 of those lol. I would say we could do a.hairpin lace cal but whenever I have tried to start one no one has joined up. Are you planning on doing more h.l. projects?

I just finished blocking my 2nd hairpin lace shawl this morning.  (I need to get my camera out, now!  LOL)  I'm moving on to broomstick lace.  Once I finish learning all the new techniques I want to learn this year, then I'd be up for a hairpin lace cal.  Wright might join us.  She's learning right now, too.

Archived