hot pad question

ratdog

Question

How do you make your hot pads and pot holders?

do you use cotton? Do you use a single or double layerI made a hotpad from cotton but only a single layer. Should I add a second layer by making another square and sewing them together?

thank you

13 answers to this question

I always use cotton.  I have some older patterns that call for acrylic yarn, but I always use cotton.  Most of the patterns I have require you to put two together.  I recently found a Halloween one that created the double thickness by having you use two skeins at a time.  I had never tried one that way before, but it worked out fine.  I don't find the single layers are really thick enough.  I have used the one thickness as dishcloths if I liked the pattern and didn't feel like turning it into a hot pad.

I have several hot pads that are single layers, and they work fine.  I don't use them for potholders, though - just as a protected spot on the counter to put a hot pan out of the oven or off the stove...   :)

My potholders are all at least double layered, and I have some of both acrylic and cotton.  I like the cotton better, personally.  

Love the Santa Potholder.

I too either make 2 pieces and sew together or use a double strand of thread.

Acrylic can melt, as will nylon based yarn. I use strictly natural fibers as the others have mentioned like cotton. Hemp works too but much scratchier. I'm not fond of wool because it can smell when heated since it's hair. The only drawback on cotton is that it fades. I tried "setting" the colors with a vinegar wash before using but, they still fade. Maybe something will be discovered to someway prevent the fading in the near future--- I hope.

Cotton with double layers is best. I have a hot pad pattern where you crochet 2 circles the size of a used canning jar lid (the flat circle) with a multiple of 4 stitches in the last round. You place the lid between them, crochet them together with a square border. Example: if your circle has 24 stitches you make your border by [sc in 6 stitches, ch 2] 4 times, join with sl st. The second rnd is: sc in each sc, [ sc, ch 2, sc in ch 2 sp] join with sl st, finish. This makes a nice drink coaster, you make as many "coasters" as needed for the size hot pad you want and sew them together and add a border if you want. If your circle is a multiple of 6, you can make hexagon coasters. Example: if your circle has 24 stitches you make your border by [sc in 4 stitches, ch 2] 6 times, join with sl st. The second rnd is: sc in each sc, [ sc, ch 2, sc in ch 2 sp] join in 1st sc, finish, sew hexagons together. This makes a sturdier hot pad.

Ellie 13

Archived