Most expensive pattern ever?

Afghaniac

I'd love to have this pattern, but 50 bucks, no way! I don't think I've seen flower squares that big before. Guess I'll have to improvise if I want to make it. Maybe some group of crocheters watching the auction will go in it together to buy the pattern and share.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grandmas-Flower-Garden-Annies-Crochet-Afghan-Pattern-Instruction-Leaflet-RARE-/161103893879?pt=US_Crocheting_Knitting_Patterns&hash=item25828a5577

I've seen your work, Afghaniac!  You can make one of these--withOUT a pattern!  You KNOW you can!!

Thank you, Avon Lady! I was thinking that if I could find four large flowers that I like I could make that. The flowers are nice, but I think the colors could be improved upon.

Funny you should say that. I recently spent  way over my limit -- $10 for a Field of Flowers afghan from an OOP magazine. I'd already invested quite a lot of time and yarn in it before I realized that the flowers are, with a couple of exceptions, pretty flat and mundane looking -- something I didn't notice in the photo. I am finishing it up, but with a bad attitude, and constantly thinking that I could have just improvised another floral sampler the way I usually do, culling flowers from all the wonderful books and websites available now. Well, I have gotten a couple of little ideas and learned a couple of techniques from the motifs, so I guess it's not a total bust.

I can't wait to get done and move on!

Good idea. I'll check fp. Might even email AA to see if they might republish it.It did work when I contacted another publisher recently.

I'd check freepatterns.com to see whether Annie's Attic has put the patterns up (they do that a LOT with older patterns.) $50 is a lot of yarn!

$50 PLUS shipping! Wow that's nerve! She probably found it in a yard sale box with a bunch of others, but no matter what, it's not that great. A lot of people here create items as good and better.

Excellent! In all these years of trawling through the online crochet world, how did I miss that!!??

Just when I think I've seen and maybe even own every single crochet pattern I'd ever want, one more will pop up.

isn't it awesome?!?  You can search by leaflet #, too.

I really like the pattern also.  pretty with the big flowers.  It sold and they put another pattern up so I don't know how many they would have for sale and where did they get all these brand new rare patterns?  It seems familiar to me and I don't know it is the flowers that I have seen before or the whole afghan.  I will have to look through my stash and I will let you know if I find it if I have it. 

I also may have seen it, but sure don't remember. Sometimes I do find that I have a pattern in my stash that I didn't notice or remember!

What I like about this one is the size of the flower squares. Using the prescribed J hook probably would help enlarge some flowers that I've made, but probably not that much. As I often do, I'd change the colorway and add a different border more proportional to the large blocks. Come to think of it, I could try making some of the gorgeous thread flower patterns with yarn and a large hook.

I really like the pattern also.  pretty with the big flowers.  It sold and they put another pattern up so I don't know how many they would have for sale and where did they get all these brand new rare patterns?  It seems familiar to me and I don't know it is the flowers that I have seen before or the whole afghan.  I will have to look through my stash and I will let you know if I find it if I have it. 

• 3 weeks later...

That is pretty outrageous. Even for the rarity, I wouldn't pay that. Only for a super special technique or stitch that has not been invented yet (possibly impossible) would that price be almost desirable. And that price would only last a year, based on the business cycle. Even 50 for a top secret technique is a price set too high for industry standards.

Archived