anyone recycle yarn

I made two blue and white small crochet throws for my new conservatory from recycled yarns.

I had a old cardigan which I unraveled and picked up a couple more one from charity shop and another from a friend.

These are the results

post-68010-0-17875200-1375384089_thumb.jpg

post-68010-0-58658700-1375384239_thumb.jpg

Has any one else tried this before?

I unravel thrift store sweaters all the time! Where else can I get luxury fibers like cashmere for usually less then $5? Plus, for some odd reason the process of deconstructing and unraveling is very soothing to me...instant stress relief!

Nice job on the afghans!

Those are just beautiful. I haven't yet used recycled yarns yet, a Goodwill store opened near me and I have found skeins of yarn but never thought to look for sweaters. Now I have more things to look for when I go there. Thanks for sharing.

And I also find it very relaxing when I have a tangled skein and I just untangle and roll it into a ball.

LI Roe

I love that. I remember being awed, when I was a kid, when women said they recycled sweaters in this manner (though I don't think recycle was in the vocabulary then!), and I still think it's a cool idea. Maybe I could find some of those elusive subtle colors of yarn in used sweaters. I know, "the grass is always greener," but I think you have better color selection across the big pond. Anyway, good job!

I frogged an old pillow somebody gave me and a UFO :think from a bag of donated :yarn . I don't go looking for things to recycle, they find me :lol . But I'll have to try it sometime. There's always things at yard sales.

Ellie 13

I have a long term project I'm working on out of recycled yarn and small scrap balls of yarn. I'm spool knitting a cord and then crocheting it with an S Hook to make a floor mat for my chihuahua. 

Haha, Smokey!  I've recently gotten into plarn and I told my son that cutting the bags and looping them is "very zen".

I've never recycled yarn but I think I understand the appeal :D

Beautiful throws, Aisles!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you ladies, it's something my mother used to do when we were tiny.

She'd come home from charity shops with sacks of old jumpers and then she'd wash them all.

Later she would unravel them and I loved helping to wind them into balls.

She would make us amazing pretty knitted and crochet blankets, soft toys and jumpers. :)

Archived