Great new crochet mag!

I was grocery shopping yesterday. I went by the magazine rack, not really expecting to find any crochet or knitting mags. But I ended up finding and buying one that I'd never seen before. It's called "Love of Crochet." I looked it up online and found that this is the very first issue.

Wow! I haven't found an issue of a magazine that has this many patterns that I want to make in yrs if ever.. It has several summer garments, including a couple of summer sweaters. I love the fact that most of the garments are made with light-weight yarn, not just DK weight either, all the way down to fingering. For an example of why I'm so excited about this, there is a great granny afghan that isn't so new or fancy, but with the colors the designer used it looks totally fresh and new. I'm sure many of you already know about this mag and maybe even have patterns in it, but it's totally new to me.

My crocheting has really been downhill for the last year or so. I've been making the same old baby afghans and not even bothering to take pics of them. These new patterns have really sparked me up! BTW, I am in no way connected to "Love of Crochet." Here is a link:

http://www.loveofknitting.com/issues/Love_of_Crochet_Summer_2013

Thanks for the link. I looked at the free pattern and like the fact that it lists a yarn and then gives three alternatives in different price ranges. I'm a sucker for patterns so I decided to give it a try.

and like the fact that it lists a yarn and then gives three alternatives in different price ranges.

That is excellent.

I looked at in Walmart the other day and didn't really see anything I liked so I didn't buy it.  However I do like the yarn alternatives.  Crochet Today sort of does that.  They say look in the back for different yarns to use; then they list all the yarns by weight. 

I checked out the link and there is a Spring 2013 issue as well as the Summer 2013  which are also

available digital.

I have seen crochet magazines in different grocery stores but not consistently.

LI Roe

very nice patterns.  I love the pineapple valance so ordered the Summer magazine.  I did digital as it would only ship usps to Canada so will save on those charges   thanks for the link.

I discovered this magazine the other day too on a rare trip to Barnes & Noble!  Hubby was with me and not only did he consent to me buying this magazine, but I got it's sister "Love of Knitting"!  I didn't even have to use my sad puppy dog eyes :lol

• 3 months later...

Since Crochet with Heart went out of business, I haven't seen any mags I like as well. Subscribed to Crochet! for a while, and now letting my subscription to Crochet Today lapse. Each issue is more disappointing than the last.

I find the most original and innovative ideas online these days -- many of them free. What I do like about the mags is that the patterns are usually well edited. Especially anything that Leisure Arts or Red Heart publishes.

The online patterns -- even the ones I've paid for -- often do not use conventional, easily understood crochet "language" and take too many shortcuts with instructions. Also, some have too many photos, so that I have to completely reformat before printing them to save on paper and ink.

I concur on this one Kay.

I received a free year of Crochet Today mag but did not renew, even though it was very inexpensive. There were so few patterns that I would use, so, I could not justify taking up room in my closet or memory on my PC.

I also like when Crochetese is used in patterns. i.e. first=1st, Round=Rnd, not using "the" throughout the pattern or the word "work", excess verbage. etc.  In other words, abbreviating words when possible. It saves on ink and paper for me and at $30+ a dinky cartridge, believe me, I skimp since I print a lot.

Since Crochet with Heart went out of business, I haven't seen any mags I like as well. Subscribed to Crochet! for a while, and now letting my subscription to Crochet Today lapse. Each issue is more disappointing than the last.

I find the most original and innovative ideas online these days -- many of them free. What I do like about the mags is that the patterns are usually well edited. Especially anything that Leisure Arts or Red Heart publishes.

The online patterns -- even the ones I've paid for -- often do not use conventional, easily understood crochet "language" and take too many shortcuts with instructions. Also, some have too many photos, so that I have to completely reformat before printing them to save on paper and ink.

Archived