How do you choose your next project?

I have so many patterns on my computer (and FORGET when I go to Ravelry...) and so many people that I can make things for, I get STUMPED when I figure out what to make next. :eek

Also, there's so many designs I'd like to make for myself, but I look at my little niece or my best friend's mom, and I just can't decide...

How do you guys figure out what your next project is? At the moment I'm trying to figure out what to make for my Crochet Olympics entry. :think

Any advice? I'm beyond a kid in a candy store since I've come here, I'm suffering from sugar shock! :hook

If I don't have any "requests" then I usually just look through my patterns and see what jumps out at me :) Or make a list of your top 5 or top 10 favorites at the moment and start on one of those, then you can cross it off the list! I also usually see what I can do with the yarn I have before needing to buy more (trying to use up my stash before I move :) )

The Top 5 list! I love it!

Actually, the decision was taken away from me! My sister just asked me to make her a TARDIS blanket of her own, and she wants it done as a 'sheet' instead of a blanket - as our heat controlled apartment tends to the boiling in the winter. She requested this be done in crochet thread instead of yarn, and the size is 40"x75".

I'm gonna be busy for QUITE some time...

BUT! I'm going to make that Top 5 anyway!

Oh wow!! I used crochet thread once to make a flower and my fingers were killing me afterwards, good luck with that!! :)

Well, I made a snowflake once. ONCE! I'm going to see if she'll let me use a lace or fingrring weight yarn if i do a relatively open weave...

• 3 weeks later...

Do you have a picture of your blanket posted somewhere, Je-Rel? I'd love to see it!

And to answer the question as well - I do about the same. I have a list of patterns/ideas, and a stack of yarn, and try to work with that. I do try to give priority to WIPs, but I'm often not very good at obeying myself there - I'm hoping that finishing off my to-do list is going to be easier in the future!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a folder on my computer filled with subfolders and a million patterns that I just plop in there when I'm browsing around. I also walk through the store and usually buy any type of yarn on clearance simply because it's on clearance. That's how I decided I needed to try and make socks haha, found sock yarn on clearance.

Sometimes I get inspired to make a specific item or come across the perfect idea for a gift. Other times I want to try a new technique. And the rest of the time I just see a pattern or a yarn that speaks to me and decide I need to make something right now. I usually have 3 or 4 crochet projects going on at one time and just work on whatever one I feel like working on.

I have a folder on my computer filled with subfolders and a million patterns that I just plop in there when I'm browsing around. I also walk through the store and usually buy any type of yarn on clearance simply because it's on clearance. That's how I decided I needed to try and make socks haha, found sock yarn on clearance.

Sometimes I get inspired to make a specific item or come across the perfect idea for a gift. Other times I want to try a new technique. And the rest of the time I just see a pattern or a yarn that speaks to me and decide I need to make something right now. I usually have 3 or 4 crochet projects going on at one time and just work on whatever one I feel like working on.

That's how I do it. Clearance and yard sale yarns. Patterns that talk to me begging to be made, :lol. Of course there are those special items, like gifts, swaps, or charities...but I usually have the yarn I need for them and if not and I can't substitute, then I search online for the right yarn at a good price. I try not to go over 3 WIPS at a time, so things don't get out of hand.:hook

I make lapghans for charity and have a few go to patterns that I nearly always use. So I just sit and gaze at the stash until a few skeins start yelling "Me! Me! It's MY turn!" Then when I pick the yarn I match it with a pattern.

I have a lot of WIPS right now because I made a lot of starts deciding what to do the Olympics challenge. Once they were started, I couldn't use those, so had to start others. So for a while - maybe quite a while - I'll be working through those.

I have a system of sorts so that I alternate between items for others (including charity) and items for myself. I also alternate between large and small projects, and acrylic and cotton projects.

What helps is that I keep lists of family and friends birthdays, and when anyone says "Oh I love that!" it goes on their list, or if I see a pattern for anything I think one of them will like, it goes on their list. I keep a Christmas list, and Other Holidays list. I keep a ME list.

Everything on every list is subject to change, deletion or may be pushed into another year. At any given time, I work on what makes me happy to make. If I'm not happy with it, then why am I doing it?

Sometimes my next project finds me sometimes it may be a pattern or yarn that really makes me wonder what it would look like made into something. Sometimes it is a stitch I been dying to try out. Right now many ufos hanging around trying to get back and finish a few since some so close to being finish. My health issues sometimes are so bad that I can't seem to get with a project but, my mind keeps looking or getting a yarn that really grabs my attention.

I have a folder that I labeled "work to be done." I keep adding patterns to it, so it seem never ending especially since I don't go by it exclusiviely. I make things for charity and as gifts and if someone order something. However, when nothing is in demand I just go by what's in my folder since there is always tons of patterns in it. Also, I always have at least three different projects working on.

So I just sit and gaze at the stash until a few skeins start yelling "Me! Me! It's MY turn!" Then when I pick the yarn I match it with a pattern.

That's pretty much how I pick my projects too. I always say my yarn speaks to me. :eek:eek:think

• 1 month later...

I always have tons of ideas and I find it hard to narrow it down to only start making one thing. Right now I have an idea for another blanket, pillow case and 2 ideas for scarves. I decided to start with the pillow case as it's an easy project that I'll hopefully finish soon. A quick project is always good :-)

I usually end up needing to make something for someone that I end up on to another project..Example I needed a utensil holder for my stuff for work.. My mom saw it and wanted something for her PC mouse so I made her a small bag sized about cell phone bag w/ clip she could hook on to her bag.. I also recently was getting board w/ hats so I thought about doing some winter scarves but I came across a shawl pattern & thought I can't do that....but it looked easy w/ pictures of how I thought can't loose trying to do that I have now made 4 :O)

I am finishing up a hat and scarf for my BF. This morning my feet were cold so I got to looking at my yarn stash, found a combination of 2 colors I like, and decided the next project will be slippers for my feet. Usually though if I have no inspiration I will make a baby something until a different idea comes along.

Archived