63 Wannabe Club

JulieKay

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope this is not a repeat, I can't remember if i have posted. I would love to make the 63 square afghan. I just got the book from my sister:cheer(she had 2). It will be a scrap afghan, I need to use up the leftover yarn I get from my mom...lol

Welcome, Tonya! Great idea! This project seems like a good way to use up all those bits of extra yarn. :)

Vims-

I have also been meaning to ask you, when you said you lived over here for 6 years- what state were you in and how did you like our country ?!

Hi Julie,

Didn't mean to be rude not replying to you:) Just missed this and read it only today.. I lived in Rochester NY for all those 6 years!!! Never once felt that we should move to a warmer state (coming from the a very tropical climate you know!) Though DH hated the snow we stuck in Rochester !!! Loved every day of my life there! Its a pity we couldn't stay longer cause we wanted our kids to have a taste of what its like to be an Indian and to know our culture. Please don't get me wrong here we just felt that they should know about our system and values and then when they were old enough to take decisions they could move to wherever they wanted!!

Even today we(me and my daughter )were reminescing(sp?) about Rochester about all the good times we had shopping at Michaels and Biglots when Dh and my son were at work and school lol!!

On the Squares front I have finished till square 10! yippee!! but i hated doing the trinity stitch!! Hope to post pics soon!

take care

hugs

Vims

Hi Vims

I bet your kids loved seeing the snow, didn't they ? What is the coldest it EVER gets in India ? Cold enough for a jacket ? Or is it always hot-hot-hot ?

I'm glad you guys liked it over here . NY isn't too far from me.

Do you guys have any types of crafts stores over there where you are ?

Sorry if I sound nosey -it's just so interesting to meet people from another country !

PS- Great job on the squares -- keep on going !!!

hi Julie:)

It does get cold here to warrant a light sweater !! no jacket! atleast not in the south. In the north like Delhi and Kashmir it does get very cold I believe. Never been there:)

Ummm .. craft stores are there just not comparable to Michaels or JoAnn's or even Wal-Mart! We have to ask the shopkeepers specifically what we want and then they will take out from some hidden cupboard somewhere! It took them some time to understand that I just wanted to see what kinda stuff they had before I decided to buy any lol! But once they knew I was a regular customer I got a lot of discounts (no coupons just the shop owners discretion!!!) Also I used to buy ( i mean really buy lots of stuff ;) )like beads floral stems crochet thread and yarn and didn't haggle for the price so that was new to them ! They have seen tailoring units buying like I did and they were surprised that a single person could do that!!! Little did they know about my yas and tas and pas!!! Ocassionally you will find a foreign book(usually a book from UK ) or a Dover series booklet but no patterns like how you guys are used to there!!

SO thats how we shop here lol! I ask my Dh to get me any specific yarn like chenille or funfur when he goes to NY on business trips! but the problem is he doesn't know what color to get and so I have 5 skeins of orange funfur yarn !!!

Hey and I don't think you are nosey at all! Man I would have been curious about your place too if I hadn't visited !!

Take care

hugs

Vims plugging away at square #12

Vims,

You are making your country sound SO exciting and exotic. I have lived in this same little one-horse town since birth so anything like India is just amazing to me --- I could go on and on, asking all kinds of questions. I don't want to be rude or offend you with any of them . Ever since I have read the books by Rohinton Mistry about India, it has sounded like one of the most fascinating places on Earth !

Can I ask --- I hope this doesn't offend you . Please say so if I'm getting out of line, but do you wear those beautiful outfits -- I don't know how to describe them, they are like long flowing wraparound type dresses, made of the most beautiful colors of fabrics --- all kinds of bright colors and designs ?

Do I sound like some HICK from HICKVILLE ?

If so, it's because I am !!! :lol

And do you make all the spicey Indian dishes or do you make like I do -- meat loaf and mashed potatoes ?

Please don't be offended -- this is just SO exciting to meet someone from India !

You can ask me nosey stuff if you want --- I'll tell you anything ----- well, just about .:eek

Just grab a pillow and blanket , because MY boring life will put you to sleep .

I wear jeans and sweatshirts . I make meat loaf . I watch TV . I crochet .

That about sums up MY life !!!! :ohdear

AND GREAT JOB ON THE SQUARES !!! Once you get a good start they seem to go faster and faster, don't they ?

i haven't started anything yet. do i really have to buy all my yarn in advance? i am using the cotton yarn, the sugar & cream brand because i LOVE that stuff. i hate itchy yarn. With these skeins being only 2.5 ounces it is going to take A LOT of yarn and i don't think i can afford to buy it all at once. will the dye lot difference be that noticeable?

wf

I've never had a problem using different dye lots with the SOLID sugar 'n cream yarns, but I did have to buy all one lot when I made my MIL a yoga mat bag using their variegated yarn. I'd suggest bringing a finished square or two with you when you go for more, and comparing the colors before you buy. Remember, your squares will be separated from one another, so a slight difference won't be noticeable! Happy Crocheting! :hook

ps-- I can't wait to see how this 'ghan looks in sugar 'n cream!

Hi Jennifer ,

I have no idea about the cotton yarn . I'm not real familiar with it ,so don't have any good answers for you . I'm not sure about the dye lots , if they are like regular WW and have no dye lot or they do. I would think the variegated has dye lots, but not sure about the solids.

Does anyone else have an idea on this ?

Great job, Celeste

You're going like Gangbusters on this afghan ! Hope you find some more time this weekend to get a few more done !

I just added photos to mine - I now have a total of 32 Squares done !!!

Hope I can keep going at this pace and don't have a meltdown !

:angry:eek:(

Hi Celeste

I just looked at your album -- you have done some interesting ones that I havent gotten to yet. 40 is still my favorite-- it is so pretty .

Was 42 real flimsy when you got it done ? I was kinda worried about that one -- it looks like it's so holey that it'd be real flimsy, but maybe not !

You are doing a great job too.

If Law & Order is helping you to get them done, maybe you should buy the DVD set of one of the first seasons-- you'd have all 63 squares done by the end of the DVD !

Haha :) John (my fiance) really really wants to own all the seasons, but I tend to lose interest once I've seen it and know how it ends! I've reached out to Numb3rs and a few other shows to supplement my crocheting time :hook

42 is really holey, but I think it's fairly sturdy. Edging it and then trying to get it to lay flat was obnoxious, and I'm thinking about trying to block it. . . not sure how well that will work with acrylic yarn though! The nice thing about it was that it went fast :)

Sorry I didn't post yesterday, it was a "I can't seem to get out of bed day". I did get square one done. I also finally chose my colors. I'm using Red Heart TLC in Linen, Lt Sage and Dark Sage. It's going to be a Christmas present (this year, hopefully) for my brother.

Wow Celeste and Julie I think you are going to be done even before I get to 20!!! I hope to get a lot done today because after my half hour here my kids will be breathing down my neck with" are you done yet?" lol!! Also my son has set a goal for me , he says that he is giving me till Oct 25th to finish the ghan!!! still no luck with the camera , something is jinxing it! I can see the pictures on the camera but it is having trouble downloading!!

Libi the colors you have chosen are very yummy! I love sage!!

Julie, yes I wear the 6 yds of fabric draped around me sometimes but usually I wear whats called a Salwar Kameez (let me see if I can get a pic from the web for you) . I have hair a little below my shoulder which I always put in a pony tail... I wear skirts too and yes I cook spicy food. We are meat eaters and are heavy on chicken and fish. Beef is not made as the cow is a sacred animal. Our staple food is rice:0)

HUgs

Vims

Celeste -

I haven't watched any of the shows you mentioned. My favorite is Survivor -- I never miss it !

Yes some of these squares are pretty stubborn when you try to take a photo. They want to curl and not lay flat. I think once it's sewn together, they'll be fine though .

Libi

Glad you made it out of bed ---:yawn:sleep And now you got the hard part over-- you have chosen your colors and gotten started .. Just keep going at a steady pace. You'll be surprised how quick it goes if you just keep at it . It is going to be beautiful -- I LOVE GREEN !

Vims -

Thank you for answering my questions. Fascinating !!! I guess if you live in one place your whole life, that you get a little used to the same old routine . When you hear of something exotic like another country, it is exciting !

I think your son has set a good goal for you and one you could reach . You'd have to work hard at it , but could do it. Maybe he thinks you will work better under pressure if you have a deadline to meet ! I hope you get your camera figured out soon so we can see those pictures . I don't know how to take them off the camera and put them on the computer-- my husband does that part for me, so I wouldn't be much help to you .

Maybe if the kids like getting on the computer so much, they will spend a lot of time on there and give you more time to crochet ! You are making good steady progress too . We are all running neck and neck at this point -- one of you could jump ahead of me if I took a couple days off . Or maybe we have some lurkers out there who are crocheting up a storm and will get on here one of these days with their finished afghan ! They might beat us all, who knows ?

Anyhow, I will plug away at mine again today. Weekends are best for me since I have more free time then .

Thanks for posting a lot you guys -- that makes it more fun to hear how everyone else is coming along !

:yay

Hi All! I've finished square 11 which means 1-11 is done! I'm going in order since that's what kind of person I am! Number 11 is the wonkiest square I've ever seen! It likes to roll up into a neat, little tube. My goal for the weekend is to finish 12 and 13 today and 14 and 15 on Sunday. :P

Today I promise to get a photo gallery up on photobucket like Celeste's. Beautiful job on your squares, Celeste. They look terrific! :tup In fact, I'm enjoying looking at everyone's finished squares and choice of color. Clearly this ghan is going to look nice in a variety of colors.

LibiLou, I love green! The TLC sage combo is very pretty. :)

Vims, I hope you can figure out the camera thing...I look forward to seeing your squares! Also, JulieKay and Vims, I live in the bay area in northern CA which is extremely diverse. More than 40% of the population speaks another language at home. There are large Latino, Asian, Indian and Philipino populations here in the bay area. Most of my kids friends are bi-lingual. Makes us feel kind of like slugs for only speaking English, however my kids are studying Spanish in school. Many of the Indian ladies wear the outfit that consists of a long tunic and pants that are very colorful and made out of beautiful material. On hot days I think, man, I want to get out of these jeans and where something like that, too pretty! Needless to say, there are a great many diverse restaurants here as well. My husband usually goes somewhere with a co-worker that we then go try. However, with kids that aren't quite so adventurous we tend to hit our favorite burrito place, Chipotle. Yum! :D

Great going, Sue !!!

Sounds like you are working at a steady pace and keeping up well with all of us !

Can't wait to see your photos today if you get them on -- drop us a note and let us know if you do .

It sounds like you are very lucky to live in such a diverse area . I live in as white-bread of a place as there ever was ! It's like a town of CLONES here --- we all look about the same, dress the same, eat the same foods , etc . ( Kinda like the Stepford Wives, only in reverse ----- no one here looks that good . ) :2eek

Our most exotic restaurant is Burger King -- no lie . In fact, it's about the only one. We do have a couple pizza shops . I think one serves pineapple on their pizza, but I don't know if anyone in town has been brave enough to try it . :lol

Your kids sure are lucky to grow up around so many different types of people . If we all learned to do that, the world would be a much better place .

I will now step down off my soapbox and go work on another square .:hook

Thanks, Sue! Drop me a line if I can be of assistance when you're setting up your album. What's really great about photobucket is that you can post multiple pics at the same time, and it makes it really easy to individually name them all. I made a 63 Square album on it, to separate my squares out from family pics ;)

I'm sidelined at the moment with a baby 'ghan for my mom to give at a shower. . . wish me luck! I hope to be done ASAP! :hook

I finished square 12 and 13 today, woohoo! That makes 1-13 for me. :) I also got pics of all my squares, got them uploaded into their own special photo album on photobucket but alas, there is where I'm stuck.

I copied the url of my 63 square photo album to place in my signature but when I tested it, I got to a page at photobucket that wanted my password! :think That's not right! Any words of advice, Celeste? Yours is quite spiffy.

I'm also curious as to how folks get a link in their signature that simply says something like "my blog" and not the actual url. I still have lots to learn! ;)

Sue, the linkie stuff in the .sig is easy, but it took me a while to figure out too. Instead of just clicking on the Insert Link icon and pasting your link into it, first type the words you want to appear ... "My blog", "63 Wannabe", whatever you want. Highlight the word or words, and THEN click on the Insert Link icon and insert your link in the popup box. Presto!

As for the photobucket album, you'll have to make your album public in order to link it I believe. If it isn't public, a password is required to view it. The setting is under Account Options at the link just above the Add Pictures button.

Ooohh! That's how you do it! :) Thanks so much for the very clear and very easy explanation. Now my posts can look spiffy too. :lol

Wow, Sue !

Your posts now look spiffy ,and so does your photo album ! NICE job on the squares -- they are all so nice and neat . A lot of mine look kinda whopper-jawed , but yours are all so SQUARE .

Doggone ....

I'm just hoping mine all come together properly when I sew them all into one afghan , I think they will.... I hope they will. :think

Anyhow, to all of you out there in the race to the finish line , here's your chance to catch up to me. I have 2 comfortghans that I need to get put together this week, so I won't have as much time to devote to this project til they are completed -- I'm still going to try and work on my squares a little each day, but want to get this big project moving this week !

You all are doing so GREAT !!! This is exciting !

Archived