63 Wannabe Club

JulieKay

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, maybe I'll do a scrap afghan. I'm not sure it's as much to my dad's taste, BUT he will appreciate that I didn't go out and spend more money on something for him (that would really bug him, he knows we're strapped for cash right now). And I think I might be able to keep it in the appropriate color family for the living room, I just might have to get a few skeins for joining (although maybe not - gotta do some rummaging through my stash).

DARN Monique !

I'm not sure if they sell it in Australia or not -- maybe if you'd list your request on the board -- what is that section called-- like the Want Ads ? The place where people have things they will sell or trade you ?

Or, I'd think it'd be available to buy online someplace . Do any of you guys know ?

Celeste & Faith Get Gold Stars !

:sstar :sstar :sstar :sstar :sstar :sstar

Thanks for keeping the board moving and active. I can't do it alone ! ( I guess I COULD, but it'd be pretty boring posting to myself 20 times a day .)

Celeste --

Thanks, glad you are enjoying this board - as long as we keep it active and post a lot I think we'll be able to get these done this time !

and Faith -

I think as long as you make an afghan for your dad, he'll like it no matter what colors you choose ! Go with the scrap colors - I think they'd be pretty in this pattern !

ptooey...I don't have the booket (is it even IN Australia?) and I just got sage and rose cotton recyclable sweaters toooooo :(

Here's a link for ya, Monique...I hope Leisure Arts ships to Australia!

http://leisurearts.com/crafts_needlework/item_detail.asp?item_num=555&search=1

Progress Report: I've finished squares 1-9 and am working on the finishing on 10. Did I mention that I say yeah whenever I finish a square then immediately say boo because now I have to "finish" the edge. Somehow getting exactly 25 stitches down the side is challenging for me.:(

My pic of finished squares is at my blog...sorry the pic isn't bigger! I'll have to make a spiffy photo album like you all.:)

Hi Sue !

VERY good, square number 10 is on the hook ! You are doing wonderful. I love the colors you are using --

I wanted to tell you not to worry too much if the squares aren't all just totally perfect as far as sizes . I used to put together lapghans for the local nursing home and there were 21 ladies making the squares. They ranged in sizes from about 6 inches to 8 inches . I learned to do a lot of tricks to get them all to fit. If they were small, I would add an extra round or two of joining color , ifthey were big, I'd somehow manage to sew them in so they looked like they were the right size. I think this afghan will be the same . I haven't measured every single square I've done, but I lay them on top of the others to make sure they look like the approximate size. I think it'll all work out when putting them together .

Keep up the good work !

Anyone else out there have any progress to post ? I HAVE to take time to get my new photos up tonite .

Thanks for the tips and tricks, Julie Kay! I never thought about fooling with the edging to make it all fit so it's not bunchy or stretchy. Great tip! :)

DARN Monique !

I'm not sure if they sell it in Australia or not -- maybe if you'd list your request on the board -- what is that section called-- like the Want Ads ? The place where people have things they will sell or trade you ?

Or, I'd think it'd be available to buy online someplace . Do any of you guys know ?

I managed to find the list of stitches used for the afghan on the net somewhere, and even found how to do some of the ones I didn't know. Its the rest of them that stump me :( Like.. um Chevron Relief Stitch. :eek

I think I even saw that each square is meant to be an 8 inch square (and that some people needed hooks in varying sizes to achieve the guage)...so I *nearly* have all the info to think about starting it :D

I think I will be brave and take a peek on Ebay.

Well, good luck, Monique !

I hope you are able to find a copy and give it a go ! I know lots of people have had to use different sizes of hooks, but I have used a G for all of mine . The squares are supposed to be 7 inches, but mine all turn out closer to 8 . Someone told me too it depends on the type and brand yarn you use as to what size your squares will be.

Let us know how you do finding the book !

Here's a link for ya, Monique...I hope Leisure Arts ships to Australia!

http://leisurearts.com/crafts_needlework/item_detail.asp?item_num=555&search=1

Nope. They dont. :cry

Ebay didn't have any in Australia, though I found one in the States (that is only available in the States too) - I thought someone here might like the link, so here goes http://cgi.ebay.com.au/63-Easy-To-Crochet-Pattern-Stitches-Heirloom-Afghan_W0QQitemZ8222281040QQcategoryZ11797QQssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But but but Needleworx.com.au DO have it http://www.needleworx.com.au/product.asp?ID=028906005554

Well, lo and behold, I was at Walmart tonight picking up cones of cotton yarn and what to my wondering eyes did appear? This book!

I thought about posting on the other thread, but as I don't think I'm going to be able to do this very fast, this thread is probably for me.

I'm excited about all the new stitches I'm going to learn. :)

So, may I join? I've not failed at this project.........yet. But I have good intentions.

Very nice job, Celeste !

And your photos look so pretty ! Keep up the good work-- you're doing a great job and working steadily along .:clap

And Welcome Libi !

Of COURSE you can join us -- hop right in -start wherever you want -- just start plugging away at those squares . The cheering section will keep you going .

:yay

I've wanted to do this afghan for a long time and have just won the chart on eBay. Now anxiuously waiting for it to arrive.

I'm not very experienced so I hope it won't be beyond me. I thought the squares would be good practice and a way to learn.

I'd love to join in with the CAL. Thanks!

Margaret

Hi Margaret !

Glad you decided to join us ! Jump right in . It's really not so hard once you make up your mind to do it. And if you get stuck on a square, drop a note in here and one of us will help you out .

Have you decided yet what colors you are using ?

Welcome Libilou and Margaret! This project is a great way to learn stitiches and improve technique! You've come to the right place! ;)

Celeste, your squares look terrific! Number 40 came out so pretty. I'm doing mine in order so I can't wait to make that one! I just finished 10 and am working on 11. I hope to finish 15 by the end of the weekend.:)

Thanks, Sue! 40 was a blast to make (really really fast!), but I think 21 is still my favorite! I love how the little rose is entirely attached to the overall design. . . it's really smart! Sorry my pics are so blurry. . . I think my camera must be set to "impressionism"!

The real reason I'm not going in order is. . . I can't find a rose color I like! I'm either way to picky, or the stores near me are just bad. :blush

Julie Kay, thanks for all your support -- I'm confident we'll all finish this afghan, thanks in large part to you! :hook

Celeste, yes, square no. 21 is very pretty! The rose is sweet. I love anything granny, it's the whole reason I learned to crochet in the first place!

I know what you mean about the rose color...some are too bright. I'm using TLC Essentials Light Country Rose and am pretty happy with it. :)

Celeste and Sue get the gold stars for today !

:sstar:mdust:sstar :mdust:sstar:mdust:sstar :mdust:sstar

Thanks for posting so often -- that's what keeps interest in this thing going !

Sounds like you are both chugging right along . Hope to see some more progress on mine in the next 3 days . Today is my last day this week to watch my grandson, so will have 3 free days coming up .

I have about 2 1/2 more squares done that aren't yet in my photos .

I hope this is not a repeat, I can't remember if i have posted. I would love to make the 63 square afghan. I just got the book from my sister:cheer(she had 2). It will be a scrap afghan, I need to use up the leftover yarn I get from my mom...lol

Archived