Chat with a Yarn Company/Store: Who Would You Like to See?

In addition to live chats with designers, what about live chats with the owner of a yarn company, yarn store, or an indie yarn spinner or dyer?

Who would you like to see?

What questions would you like to ask them?

For store owners or indie spinners/dyers:

How do they decide what target population to select stock for? What industry requirements regarding minimum purchases affect their stock selection? How do they decide what lines to not carry (e.g., two LYS here in Tucson carry Noro, two don't)?

If they offer classes, does that increase foot traffic, or if not, why don't they offer classes?

How much homework did they do beforehand to determine location, storefront size, etc? In other words, how long did it take to make the dream of the yarn store a reality?

How do they realistically determine a price for indie spun/dyed yarn that repays them for their time and effort, but doesn't make the yarn prohibitively expensive?

I would love to know what happened to fingering yarn outside the Internet. Everyone I speak with either at the bigger stores or the LYS stores I've been able to find seems to have forgotten it even exists. Most refer me to sock yarn. I can understand it might not be a big seller and the Internet may be my only source, but why deny its existence? It is quite useful for many different kinds of projects.

I would like to suggest a chat with Premier Yarns. They produce and distribute the Deborah Norville yarns along with their own brand, Premier, that comes in several weights. I love their service and the price and quality is great. (especially the BigBall, a pound for $9.99, so nice and soft!)

They are located in North Carolina. You can reach them at 704-786-1155. Debbie in the marketing dept can help you, she's at ext 125. I just spoke to her, to check before I posted this.

If you call to order yarn, JP is wonderful with helping you with whatever you need and goes above and beyond what I expect from ordering over the phone.

I don't work for them, lol, I'm just a really happy customer!

Lisa Kalcik/Yarn & Thread by Lisa

Although I have never had the pleasure to visit her shop in Crete, Nebraska, I frequently order from her via the Internet. Her customer service is top notch!!

Excellent ideas! Keep them coming!

We can even try to get people from the big yarn manufacturers to come chat with us. It helps now that I know some of them personally from attending Knit and Crochet Shows and STITCHES events. :)

Any other indie dyers, yarn stores, or bigger yarn manufacturers you'd like to know more about? Craft store or LYS yarns?

In addition to live chats with designers, what about live chats with the owner of a yarn company, yarn store, or an indie yarn spinner or dyer?

Who would you like to see?

What questions would you like to ask them?

Admitting to looking out for self-interest, but why not start with your advertisers.

and, with some apprehension based on past experience when giving honest business answers.

Between us we have a wealth of knowledge and experience -

What we don't know, we do know pretty much exactly who to ask,

and have demonstrated that we think Crochetville is important and deserving of our financial support.

Amy,

Will you and/or Donna be at TNNA this weekend?

Wheat

No, that's a bit much since we'll be at the Knit and Crochet Show for a week right after that.

I'm hoping to make it to TNNA Next February, though.

We certainly wouldn't leave our advertisers out of the opportunity to participate in a chat series! It's a given that we would ask them to participate.

But we want to know what other businesses our members would like to know more about as well.

Not to worry about honest business answers. The chat would be moderated, which means everyone could submit questions, but Donna and/or I (whoever is moderating the chat) would only approve the questions we thought were appropriate. We wouldn't approve questions that were too invasive, like wanting financial specifics or a list of your suppliers. Nothing that would be considered company confidential.

I'd like to know why light flesh colors are not available, especially with all the dolls and ami's that are popular today. Years ago we used to be able to pick up at least 2 light flesh colors in worsted weight at any local department store, such as Grants, Ames, or K Mart. The colors we have to substitute are OK, but not the same.

I'd have to agree with Premier Yarns.

I know Red Heart isn't everyone's fav, and their availability in the big department stores is very limited (mostly Super Saver), but they have been around for many years, and lately their on-line presence has increased greatly. They are one of the cheaper suppliers of worsted yarn and usually one of the first yarns used by beginners. They did listen when fiber craft users complained about their sensitivity with Super Saver, and worked on correcting the problem. I'd like to know what a company that well established has done to maintain their image and see for future trends in yarn.

I also would love to know more from Garnstudio's Drops Design. I love their free patterns, and I am sure their are many all over the world who do also. The ability to pick the language for the patterns is amazing, even a choice between American English and British English!!!

I know Red Heart isn't everyone's fav, and their availability in the big department stores is very limited (mostly Super Saver), but they have been around for many years, and lately their on-line presence has increased greatly. I'd like to know what a company that well established has done to maintain their image and see for future trends in yarn.

Red Heart's new Boutique line of yarns is really very nice. Anyone who is attending the Knit and Crochet Shows or any of the STITCHES shows will be able to see it all, in all the colors, up close and personal in the Crochetville/Red Heart booth. They are really doing a lot to update their yarn selection.

Aunt Lydia's Bamboo (sizes 3 and 10) and Iced Bamboo are also fabulous. The drape and sheen are unbelievable. I love them!

I'm sure I can get Kathleen Sams (she does Red Heart's YouTube videos) to come do a chat with us (assuming we are ever able to add chat capability). She is a hoot, and would be tons of fun in a chat!

Not to worry about honest business answers.

The chat would be moderated, .

Not at all worried about the questions <G>

I am quite good at saying that is not something I can get into detail, but then give some reasonable answer in more general terms.

but sometimes honest answers can seem heartless.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how it develops. I still think a section of the forum - handled not unlike you do the classes makes more sense and gives an opportunity to give more complete answers.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how it develops. I still think a section of the forum - handled not unlike you do the classes makes more sense and gives an opportunity to give more complete answers.

I think there's a misunderstanding over the purpose/concept of these proposed chats. They're not meant to be a venue for asking questions that need long, involved, well-thought-out answers.

They're just a fun way to connect with a business in a more personal way. Think of it more like a live interview that might be done on a podcast, but in a written chat format instead. Although, if we can find affordable software with this capability, we could do a live video chat between moderators and guest, and everyone else could watch the live video and type in questions.

We also want these chats to be publicly-accessible, not in a private area like the classes are. If we ever do it, I would most likely want to post chat transcripts for everyone who wasn't able to attend the chat in person, so they can participate in the fun at a later date, or people who were there can go back and read or watch again.

Red Heart's new Boutique line of yarns is really very nice.

Aunt Lydia's Bamboo (sizes 3 and 10) and Iced Bamboo are also fabulous. The drape and sheen are unbelievable. I love them!

I'm sure I can get Kathleen Sams (she does Red Heart's YouTube videos) to come do a chat with us (assuming we are ever able to add chat capability). She is a hoot, and would be tons of fun in a chat!

Oh I have used the Bamboo, and I loved it.

Sounds like a good person for a chat with us.

Personally, I love using Red Heart yarn - it's a very realistic option for those of us who are lower income/ don't have much money for yarn. I've learned to make this yarn work for almost every type of project by varying the stitches, tension, etc... I would like to hear from Red Heart because they have multiple types of yarn available and they are so readily seen. I'm so thankful they have the Super Saver available because it allows me to crochet more and more, without totally blowing my budget.

What about the yarn named "I Love This Yarn", by Hobby Lobby? Whenever I can afford it, I like to use this brand... but usually I can't afford it, so it's always a treat to use. It used to be the cheap yarn at Hobby Lobby and now it's the one they carry the most of - it's acrylic too.

Lily has been around for a very long time, and I know their worsted weight cotton has been a staple in many homes. I don't think there is many of us who doesn't have at least one wash cloth made from it in our homes.

Or at least a vintage pattern book.

The Spinrite co, known for Lily, Bernat, Patons and Phentex (all favs of mine) would make an appealing interview.

Then there is always Caron (Vickie Howell). LionBrand and others mentioned here that are

represented by CYC, and info on them is available on the CYC http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/aboutcyca.html

and each brand's web site, so questions would need to be interesting enough to warrant a chat. Vicki is readily available on facebook also...

How do I vote if I don't have a Facebook account?

I'd like to know why light flesh colors are not available, especially with all the dolls and ami's that are popular today. Years ago we used to be able to pick up at least 2 light flesh colors in worsted weight at any local department store, such as Grants, Ames, or K Mart. The colors we have to substitute are OK, but not the same.

I'd like to know why there's no flesh tones too.

Ellie 13

Personally, I love using Red Heart yarn - it's a very realistic option for those of us who are lower income/ don't have much money for yarn. I've learned to make this yarn work for almost every type of project by varying the stitches, tension, etc... I would like to hear from Red Heart because they have multiple types of yarn available and they are so readily seen. I'm so thankful they have the Super Saver available because it allows me to crochet more and more, without totally blowing my budget.

What about the yarn named "I Love This Yarn", by Hobby Lobby? Whenever I can afford it, I like to use this brand... but usually I can't afford it, so it's always a treat to use. It used to be the cheap yarn at Hobby Lobby and now it's the one they carry the most of - it's acrylic too.

I'd love to find out if Hobby Lobby ever plans to market it elsewhere. No local hobby lobbies here. I'd love to be able to get the ILTY locally.

I'd love to find out if Hobby Lobby ever plans to market it elsewhere. No local hobby lobbies here. I'd love to be able to get the ILTY locally.

It is highly unlikely that Hobby Lobby will distribute one of their private label products thru other, competing business.

The same yarns, labled for other retailers, may be available, but it would be a "trial and error" project to match them up.

HTH

Wheat

Archived