*Second attempt..SUCCSESS* my first FAILED attempt at dish/wash cloth

JNsweetheart

Well, this was my first attempt at crocheting. I just kinda guessed my way through it. No pattern or anything. and i didn't count anything. figured it would be simple enough. Well i started out fine. was talking to my mom about it and she told me to do few rows double crochet because single would take forever but to end with same amount of single. well, needless to say i should have just stuck it out with doing all singles. but here is the picture of my pathedic dish/wash cloth

IMG_20111204_181449.jpg

Alright so I just had to try again. This time i used two things of yarn to get used to it and to make it thicker... Well, i did it! :) yay here it is! Orange&lime green

IMG_20111205_123516.jpg

Don't look at it as a failed attempt - look at it as a learning experience. I've been crocheting for 30+ years and still make mistakes. The trick is to learn from them and move on. Hang in there, it'll get better as you gain more experience.

Congratulations on sticking it out and finishing your 1st project! It's great that you jumped in with determination. :yes I noticed you said you were not counting. Counting is very important in crocheting. Whether in single or double crochet, the sides of your dishcloth would definitely have been more even if you were counted each stitch a row and making sure each row had the same number of stitches.

And similar to krodrig99, I've been crocheting 20+ years and I still make mistakes, too. It happens. ;)

I think you should give it a whirl again, only this time count your stitches so each row is even. You are on the right track! Keep it up! :manyheart

I love it! I think it's got a lot of character- especially for a first project. And your stitches look well-formed. Good for you for going off the beaten path with no pattern!

So - call it a trapezoid instead of a rectangle ;)

It's a very common mistake that almost everyone makes when learning to crochet. Counting your rows and making sure that the beginning and end of each row is correct comes with time - just like all good things.

It looks a lot like the place mats I made my mom for Christmas my first year. I didn't know to count the starting chain, so each one I made after the first I would hold the chain up to the first to compare length. Not a single one is the same size.

Looks great! Love that you kept at it and posted your second attempt also. As others have said, no matter how long we've been crocheting we all make mistakes. Counting is very important! I just did that last night making a hat! I had added 2 extra stitches. Lucklily I caught it two rounds in! :lol Keep up the great work! :clap

I've had many "failed" attempts, but just think of them as learning experiences. When I first started crocheting I had blankets that got narrower as I went on. Haha. I think you did a wonderful job and your second try was fantastic! Good job!

good job! I remember teaching my brother to crochet, we picked a scarf, fairly simple, dc all the way, well in the end, it turned out all wavy and potato chippy, so I askekd him if I could have it, as those types of scarves were certainly the thing! He grinned from ear to ear! You will do fine, the more you crochet, the more you learn!

Way to go!! I can also say I've been crocheting/knitting for almost (:eek) 38 yrs........and I still make mistakes!! And one of those mistakes is "not counting"!! :lol :lol You would think I would have learned by now!!! Yes....keep on keeping on!!! :hook

Again, Thank you all! I'm becoming very confident and proud of my small achievements so far! I think crocheting is in my blood though! Every woman before me on my mothers side were amazing crocheters! Only hope to be as good as my nana great was one day!!

TCarra- You will get it! After my beanies a baby blanket is my next project! :)

Again, Thank you all! I'm becoming very confident and proud of my small achievements so far! I think crocheting is in my blood though! Every woman before me on my mothers side were amazing crocheters! Only hope to be as good as my nana great was one day!!

TCarra- You will get it! After my beanies a baby blanket is my next project! :)

Oh I'm tryin'! I started my 3rd try a little while ago. :blush This blanket will NOT beat me! :devil

Oh I'm tryin'! I started my 3rd try a little while ago. :blush This blanket will NOT beat me! :devil

Haha! My second beanie was starting to outsmart me as well! I don't even know how many times i had to undo it and start over!! {i think that is definition of "frog", right? lol} Just took short break and i outsmarted the yarn! lol I know you can do it too! hehe

Archived