Am I being reasonable?

Hi everybody, I just have a quick question. For the past few years I have sold a few knit and crochet items at my family's christmas tree farm the month or so before the holidays in order to just make a bit of pocket change. This year I am making a few infinity scarfs (knitted) that are made of 100% wool. I was wondering if $10 was a reasonable price to charge or if I should charge less or more. I'm just a highschool student, so I don't want to charge so much that they won't sell. Thanks in advance for your advise! :yarn

ps. Are there any other items that I could make that you think would sell well?

$10 sounds really low to me, but it all depends on how much the yarn cost you, how much your time is worth x how long they take to make.

for other ideas, what about ornaments or other kinds of Christmas decor? Ornaments are small so don't use much material or time to make, and people will be thinking about decorating the tree they just bought:)

I also think $10 is too low. A good rule of thumb is take the price of your materials & either double or triple the price of the item you are wanting to make to sell. But, you also have to keep in mind how much time you spend. You will never recoup all of your time but you don't want to cheat yourself either. So, if you spend $5/skein of yarn/scarf and it takes you about 1.5 - 2 hours to make one, then $15 -$20 would be a good price.

I agree with all the above. you will find some who will say "that's to much" but they are the one's who don't apreciate the fact it was hand made and not mass produced in a factory. Put tags on them saying "handmade by_______ with ______ material" ect

15-20 is a fair price esp if you are using a more expensive yarn.

Thanks everybody for your help. I think I will try tagging them $15 to start. The yarn was given to me (Paton's classic wool), so I'm not worried about yarn cost unless I buy more. Thanks again!

Even if the yarn is given to you, you still need to make sure that you keep in mind how much it would cost you to replenish your yarn supply to continue making them!

I think you'll do great! And, I love the idea of the tags! You could also include washing instructions on there! Good luck with your venture! I hope you sell quite a few this year!

I think moving your price up to $15 is a good idea.

Have you made fingerless mitts? You might want to offer some of them.

And there's always hats. People love even the simplest of beanies that are made by hand. My BIL works outside a lot, so my sister has made him a lot of hats, which he loves. She discovered his boss gets bad earaches in the winter, so my sister made him 2 hats and sent them over as a surprise. Now he will only wear her hats! His brother found out and wanted a hat too. She made him one, and he gave up store bought hats too. Now all the other guys want her hats and say they are willing to pay. What a surprise!

You have a nice opportunity for some sales, so I wish you luck and lots of fun with whatever you decide to make.

15-20 is a good price for a scarf- and I agree that hats and fingerless mitts are good-and they are quick to make!!! I like the idea of a few ornaments too- since you will be selling at a tree farm! Good luck!!!

I think moving your price up to $15 is a good idea.

Have you made fingerless mitts? You might want to offer some of them.

And there's always hats. People love even the simplest of beanies that are made by hand. My BIL works outside a lot, so my sister has made him a lot of hats, which he loves. She discovered his boss gets bad earaches in the winter, so my sister made him 2 hats and sent them over as a surprise. Now he will only wear her hats! His brother found out and wanted a hat too. She made him one, and he gave up store bought hats too. Now all the other guys want her hats and say they are willing to pay. What a surprise!

You have a nice opportunity for some sales, so I wish you luck and lots of fun with whatever you decide to make.

I actually just started on some fingerless mitts. It took me a while to find a simple but classy pattern that I like. I also found a pattern that uses fun fur. I think these will appeal more to children or those buying for children (they will be a bit less expensive too). And I plan on also making a few hats as well :) I think a few scarves and hats, and a larger choice of fingerless mitts may be a good route to try.

Sounds pretty low to me too -- what would triple your yarn cost be? I think that is usually considered minimum. Then you add for difficulty, extra time, etc. I would try starting at a higher price and if they aren't moving, you can always come down the last day or two.

'People pay for quality and for something marks a special occasion. I definitely think you should charge a higher price and then you can always come down or offer a sale with 10-15% off on less busier days.

Make scarfs in both adult appealing and kid friendly ways! With your first profits, go and invest in yarns that will appeal to kids for hats, the mits and scarfs. Make a sign that attracts parent's "Keep the memory of your child's visit alive for years!" or "The perfect gift to remember this special occasion!" For mom's and daughter's (ages 8 and up), you could make matching set of scarf's (different length's of course) in colors that appeal to both, different shades of purple, rich grey's, cream, black or white with a color added in and offer a $5..00 off the price by buying the set versus each one individual...you can always split them up and sell individually if it does not work after a few weekends. I know dad's who would buy as a gift for their wives and daughters!

Same thing with the ornaments--Make sign with something like "Hand made ornaments to remember your family's special visit to (name) Christmas Tree Farm"

I'm sure you get the gist of what I am suggesting. Can ya tell i have an advertising/business background? lol Not to mention the special things I've purchased to mark and remember something special or event my son or family has experienced.

Good luck with everything, I am sure you will do well!

~smiles, monica

'People pay for quality and for something marks a special occasion. I definitely think you should charge a higher price and then you can always come down or offer a sale with 10-15% off on less busier days.

Those are great ideas for my little sign, thanks a bunch :D

Ya know - I just thought of something here. Just because you're young does NOT mean that your items are worth less.

Thanks so much for the encouragement :D I've been entering my handcrafts (knit, crochet, cross stitch, and also some writing and other crafts) in several of the local fairs since I was about 7. Now that I'm 17 I enter adult catagories for the most part at fairs. I've gotten a lot of blue ribbons and really enjoy knitting and crocheting. i'm always working towards trying harder patterns and larger projects. Thanks again!:hook

Labelling your hand-made items is really important. People should know that it's 100% wool. Some folks might be allergic. Also it's nice to let them know how to care for the item (ie: not washing wool in hot water or putting it in the dryer!)

I agree with everyone else $15 is a good and fair price.

Good Luck!

Archived