Shawl as coat substitute

Do you wear shawls instead of coats when the weather is cold? I love shawls and have a favorite, an All-Shawl, that I throw on to take the dogs out, get the mail, etc. I really want to make a very warm shawl to wear when I go out, but most patterns seem to be for decoration or added indoor warmth. I would love to hear about your favorites,

I listed this link in another post last night as it is a great shawl. Especially in a animal fiber such as the alpaca shown for warmth. Also, a animal fiber-blend would work nicely, such as Lion Brand's Wool Ease. :)

I'm always too warm if I wear a coat. Layers are my friends, heh. I have a triangle granny shawl...wait, two of them! One is larger, and multi-colored, of acrylic with some funfur for texture. I can wear that over just a shirt and be quite comfortable. Its basically half of a granny square. The other is the same shape and stitch, but made of Plymouth Boku, in a purple/mauve/green/blue colorway. Its smaller, so I'll wear it on less cold days, and if necessary, over a sweater.

I use a stick of some sort to hold it on; DPN's work well, if they aren't metal. I find it much easier in the car, too. Less bulk, and on/off is sooo much less fiddling.

The problem lies in the hook measurements.

The Boye N is labeled as 9mm.

The Bates M is labeled as 9mm and is a touch bigger.

The Bates N is labeled as 10mm.

The first time I used Homespun was for this project and I did not like working with the Boye hook - the head is too big for me. It came out wonderfully. A few times after that I used the Bates N hook and I couldn't understand why the Homespun kept snagging and tearing and would fall apart.

It comes down to personal preference and tension. For me - when I make something- I don't want it to fall apart because I used a hook that was too big for the yarn and it snagged.

The ruana shape is great for a coat substitute, you can throw one end over your shoulder or wear it belted (here's a link to one pattern, and one other).

I have looked at the pattern in the first link so many times and I think I'd love to have something like this. But I've been hesitant to make it - it just seems like there's so much of it. Have you made one and do you wear it? Is it not too bulky?

I have looked at the pattern in the first link so many times and I think I'd love to have something like this. But I've been hesitant to make it - it just seems like there's so much of it. Have you made one and do you wear it? Is it not too bulky?

I have not made that particular ruana, but it looks like it could do duty as a fall coat, it's so thick and big ( it's a whopping 58 oz. of yarn!). But I have a ruana that my mother made for me, and I just drape one side over my shoulder and leave the other hanging down.

I have looked at that wrap pattern http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/wrap

alot too! (I cant decide what color to use)

This wrap pattern is made using two yarns at once, is it possible to just use one??? would it change the look? :hook

You can use 1 strand but it'll change the hook size, the # of stitches in the pattern and the look of it.

what if I go with a bulky yarn??

I was concerned with the wrap being heavy, I have never crochet using two yarns at once. should I just give it a try? would it be same as using a bulky yarn?

I saw a pretty deep purple regular ww yarn at Hobbylobby I want to make something with. I believe it is the 'I love this yarn'

Thanks for your help! :hook

Have you seen the shawler?

Thanks for that suggestion! I hadn't even been looking for a shawl pattern but when I saw this one.... I changed my mind! Think this may be my next winter coat! This is all we need in Florida. No need for anything heavier. I saw one on Ravelry done in Homespun Mixed Berries and trimmed in fur yarn. I think that might be what I use. But.... it will probably have to wait a few months, or at least til after Christmas. I've pushed so many things out til then already! :)

Archived