Little House on the Prairie Crochet-Along

soozun

Using either the television show or the books as inspiration, we can join together and crochet anything our imagination suggests is related to the stories. The idea for this crochet-along started with this post where many good ideas were shared.

A couple ideas of crochet items to make:

1- Caroline Ingall's Red Shawl

(this is a half granny square type shawl & some possible patterns are:)

2- Laura Ingalls Wilder Doily

There are unlimited possibilities for things to crochet if you want to imagine another project. Please feel free to share your ideas and make anything that reminds you of Little House on the Prairie!

Here are some wonderful links that were shared in the original post:

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Emelissawiley/

http://www.crochetmemories.com/crochet10.php

http://www.startribune.com/stories/1694/2256870-2.html

http://www.liwms.com

http://www.ingallshomestead.com

long download time: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1514...-h.htm#page_185

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I LOVE Little House on the prarie!! They had a 72-hour Michael Landon marathon on cable yesterday (might still be on today), of course a lot of Little House shows! I could have watched them all. I would join this CAL!:yay Is there anything we could do as long as it was 'Little House'-ish? Or are there certain rules/ things we should make? A bonnet like Laura and Mary wore? :D

This is going to be fun. :clap Thank you for all the links!!

Does anyone know how to make a 'Little House CAL' button? (I would if I knew how, but I don't...:blush )

Tina

By Pumamouse definition, a shawl is that smallish crocheted bikkie thingie that little old ladies of yesteryear used to drape around their shoulders to keep warm while they were sitting in their rocking chair and sipping tea before the fire.

AAACK!! This is me!! Except that I'm not all that old (33), and I don't have a rocking chair (a big blue chair from IKEA), I always have a cup/pot of tea going :tea , and I don't actually have a fire (I try to visit people with woodstoves but I do have a DVD of the holiday yule log). Well I gues as soon as I'm done this blanket I'm trying to knit I might just have to make myself a Pumamouse. Wow!!

I guess I won't be doing all that housework I had planned on doing this week - LOL :wash

Fran

there's no "big blue chair" smiley - hmmmm

This is great! I LOVE :manyheart the doily that Laura Ingalls Wilder made. I will have to try my hand at it (although just reading through the instructions began to confuse me -- what is a trtr?) I have also been thinking about making a shawl since I read the other thread about Caroline Ingall's shawl. I don't think I'll make a red one though. This should be fun! :hook

Oh this is fascinating ... I wish I had time right now; I'll keep an eye on this and if it's still running after the holidays, I'm in! Too many bazillion projects going in the immediate future, unfortunatley. :(

Interesting (for me :lol) side note - my mother was a HUGE LIW fan - when we went on trips, we visited many of the Ingalls homestead spots. It was fascinating. I still have a costume she made me in second grade, and my little stuffed black susan is in my trunk.

Faith, OMG, I had such a similar experience! I loved the books and read them so much when I was growing up that when I was 9(?) my family went on a big ol' summer road trip to almost all the places that Laura and her family lived. It was one of the best vacations we ever took. I loved it. How fun that your family did the same!

I'm not sure what a crochet along :think is but it sounds like fun. Could someone please explain. I also have many projects that need finishing.:hook

Hi there. A crochet-along means that anyone who wants can work on the same or similar project. In this case, I thought it would be more fun if we made it an open invitation to make anything "inspired by" the Little House books or television show. Some are going to join this crochet-along later on when they have time to make a new crochet project. I personally just dumped my current project to make a shawl. I'm very impulsive!

Feel free to join anytime!

I decided to make a Caroline Ingall's shawl (inspired by the red shawl worn by her character in the television show). I'm basing it on the Pumamouse sleuthing shawl. I decided to use up some ecru yarn I have. I plan to give this shawl to my grandmother. I love this pattern because it's so easy I can actually watch t.v. while making it (gonna watch Little House today), plus it's working up so fast! I'll be done in a couple days, I think!

I still intend to try to capture some images of the shawl but have to figure out what I was doing wrong.

If anyone wants to make a button, feel free to volunteer. I can make a simple Web page in a few days.

I decided to make a Caroline Ingall's shawl (inspired by the red shawl worn by her character in the television show). I'm basing it on the Pumamouse sleuthing shawl.

This looks like the perfect shawl for fans of the show! I've decided I want to join this crochet-a-long, I havent joined any before, but I'm a HUGE fan of the show, so I'm loving this one.

This looks like the perfect shawl for fans of the show! I've decided I want to join this crochet-a-long, I havent joined any before, but I'm a HUGE fan of the show, so I'm loving this one.

I'm so glad to hear that you are joining and love the show. We can do some crochet together and chat about anything LHotP!

Well, I think I have to join in this CAL. :hook I love making shawls.... I just have to finish one of my current projects before I can start this one. I think I will have to do the Pumamouse one. Of course, with what i've got going , it will be a few months before I can start on it..:(

I am new to the group, but I definitely am joining in on this one. I have been looking for a pattern similiar to "Ma's" shawl to make for myself. How ironic to find this topic. :clapAlison

Tried to get a start on the shawl last night as I have the perfect color for winter weather. I am using the Pumamouse sleuthing shawl. How ever the pattern is not written clearly and I am having an issue getting started. Anyone else find a pattern simular that is easier to read?

Hugs and Hooks

Marietta

NUTS for ... the waltons.

ROFL-- Marietta, don't get me started on the Waltons! I am crazy for that show too, and there is lots of crochet in it also-- Grandma, Mamma, Mary Ellen..

Okay, LHOTP is the topic I know, but I had to mention my love for John Boy and the gang too.

we are using LHOTP for our curiculum guide this year. So much information can be gleaned from the books.

I am in on this one :)

I teach Special Ed, and last year for our December/Christmas theme, we did LHOTP. We read about the Christmas at Plum Creek, then we watched the episode. Later we were acting out the scene, giving out homemade gifts to each other. I gave every student a pair of red mittens-- crocheted of course-- (I only had 12 kids).

The best part was when a good friend of mine who loves to act came blustering in during our Christmas reenactment, bearded, in his long johns, shivering and covered with snow (fake, since we live in Southern California) and preformed a full-on Mr. Edwards! He retold the story of meeting the "Bearded Fella" and then passed our "peppermint sticks" to all the kids. They just loved it! It was one of my favorite christmas memories!

Tried to get a start on the shawl last night as I have the perfect color for winter weather. I am using the Pumamouse sleuthing shawl. How ever the pattern is not written clearly and I am having an issue getting started. Anyone else find a pattern simular that is easier to read?

Hugs and Hooks

Marietta

Hi Marietta,

I'm currently 3/4 done with that shawl. Maybe I can help you get started on it by explaining anything that's confusing you. The pattern tells you to start by making a starting chain, then work into the chain furthest away from the hook (next to the knot from the slip stitch you started the chain with). But you have to turn the chain. I'm not sure why you have to turn the chain, but if you do or don't, it probably won't matter. Just ask about anything you are confused about. We can help!

I think it's so neat that you two are using or have used LHOTP in your curriculum. I love this idea! If I ever homeschool, we are going to study these books and learn about pioneer life, etc.

I teach Special Ed, and last year for our December/Christmas theme, we did LHOTP. We read about the Christmas at Plum Creek, then we watched the episode. Later we were acting out the scene, giving out homemade gifts to each other. I gave every student a pair of red mittens-- crocheted of course-- (I only had 12 kids).

The best part was when a good friend of mine who loves to act came blustering in during our Christmas reenactment, bearded, in his long johns, shivering and covered with snow (fake, since we live in Southern California) and preformed a full-on Mr. Edwards! He retold the story of meeting the "Bearded Fella" and then passed our "peppermint sticks" to all the kids. They just loved it! It was one of my favorite christmas memories!

Archived