Little House on the Prairie Crochet-Along

soozun

I finished my first Caroline Ingall's shawl. If I get some help from my husband one day this week, I'll try to figure out my problems with capturing images from the DVD's as well as get a digital picture of the shawl I made. It's not the one I want to make for myself. It's just a creme colored half granny shawl that I made to use up yarn (and possibly give to my grandma). But it was a good experiment in using the pumamouse sleuthing shawl pattern. It really does look like the Caroline Ingalls' shawl I spotted in the first season of LHOTP. Next time I make it, I will make it in red yarn, probably something soft, perhaps bulky.

I want to try something else from the show. I might make an ear-muff kind of thing that Laura wore in a Christmas episode from the first season (where she sells her horse, Bunny, to buy Ma a stove).

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ironies continue. I love this thread. I love LHOTP.

I watched the episode you mention and loved the winter bonnet of Laura's. I started a thread on it, and another member posted the photo of it, although it is not a very clear shot.

Anyway, it is on Prairiehomemaker.com.

http://prairiehomemaker.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=39718#39718

Unsure, which site the photo comes from, but I included a link to this site.

Hope we can make one with you.

Okay so I found the perfect shawl that I am going to make. I even had to pull out the dvd's to compare and make sure it was close to Caroline's shawl.

I found this awesome blood red yarn that I am going to use to make it.

Hope everyone is having fun with their project and can't wait to see some pictures.

Crocheting items from LH has been on my mind lately and then I stumble upon this thread. My kids and I love LH and my dd has asked me repeatedly to make her a shawl so, maybe I'll end up making matching shawls for the both of us. It doesn't hurt that red is my favorite color! I think I just found my new project.

I was just talking to my 13yo daughter about LH the other day. I told her it was my favorite set of books when I was around her age and that the show was great! I took a look at the Sleuthing Shawl pattern and printed it out and I'm going to start on it this week. This is so cool! What a great idea! :yay

Hey everyone! I'm glad to see more people getting interested in this CAL! I am in the process of moving, so I'm not able to get started on another LHoTP project right now. I gave my first Caroline Ingalls' shawl to my grandma and she loves it. That one was made in cream colored yarn and it looked very nice even though it was a simple stitch pattern. The next one I do, I'll be doing it in red. That one's for me! I want to wear it for Thanksgiving and Christmas so I might choose a cranberry shade of red.

Yarnmistress: Your blood red yarn sounds like it will look great. I'll look forward to hearing more about how your shawl turns out.

Mary-Amelia: What a neat coincidence. Great minds do think alike. I want to make Laura's winter bonnet/ear-muffler thing just because it's such an interesting crochet object. But I live in California and don't know anyone who could actually use one. I might make it and then send it to one of my on-line buddies who lives in Detroit and has a 7 year old daughter. His wife is pretty cool so she might like it. Not sure if the little girl will like it though. :D I think the only way to figure out how to make it is by studying the images of it in the DVD, then come up with a simple pattern. It's not going to be exact but it will at least be interesting to make it.

My eight year old daughter loves Laura and we live in the mountains, so if you do need someone to post it too, we would appreciate it.

I had a look at the shop at the green wool etc. but nothing in Laura's color.

The grey part seems to be in a pointy oval, not very descriptive I know. Not sure how to do that shape.

I finally picked up some yarn to make a shawl, lol! I am just going to do the half granny pattern, I like the way it is written out and the diagrams. I picked out LB Microspun in Lilac. I have reddish/blonde hair and thought that the red would be too much, that, I am not a big fan of red for myself to wear. :lol

I'd love to see anyone's finished products!! Do we post them here or in the 'show and tell' forum? Have a great Saturday all!! It's only 69 degrees outside today here in CT, finally beautiful weather to crochet!! :autumn

Got my shawl done. I used Homespun in the color, edwardian. I do want to make another one and use a bright color next time. I used the Half Granny pattern and it works up very fast.

Alison:cheer

Right on!! I bet your shawl is pretty! Mine is slow going, as I get multiple interruptions (3 kids, lol), but getting there. I am almost done with the first skein, the pattern called for 14 oz. of yarn to make a shawl. I could have used it this morning, brrrr, it was chilly! I want to try to finish it by the weekend, it is only going to be in the upper 50's here! Did you fringe or just make a nice border? I like the 1/2 granny too, it's a nice and easy pattern.

Please share some pics! Do we post them here or in the other forum? Thanks!! :hook

did the red shawl have any fringes????? i'm almost done!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well at least half way there, lol.

Wow! You are fast! Well, the crocheted red shawl that I saw in the first season had no fringe. But you could put it on if you want? :cheer

• 5 weeks later...

I finished my sleuthing shawl! I used Homespun Quartz. It's really soft and comfy. The pictures don't show the colors very well, but it has lots of pinks and purples in it. It was also hard to take the picture because my cat kept laying on it and then biting me when I tried to get him off!

th_PB020140.jpg

th_PB020139.jpg

KittyLou your shawl is so pretty!! How can I get this pattern and why is it called a sleuthing shawl? BTW Little House on the Praire is my favorite show ever!! The Waltons are next. Silly me. Hugs, Jody :hook

KittyLou your shawl is so pretty!! How can I get this pattern and why is it called a sleuthing shawl?

There is a link on the very first post of this thread to the pattern and an explanation of what it is. It's a fairly easy pattern and works up pretty quickly.

Wow, that turned out really awesome!! How many skeins? I am almost done my 1/2 granny shawl that was suppose to be done a month ago, lol!! I have 1 more skein to go, sort of slow going because I do not work on it everyday. I just taught a friend how to make the 1/2 granny yesterday. Hopefully soon I will have some pics to share! I was beginning to wonder where everyone was!! Thanks for sharing!:clap

Wow, that turned out really awesome!! How many skeins?

I think I used 5 skeins of Homespun. I have to tell you, this is a very comfy, warm shawl. I've been wearing it around the house every day. :c9

• 2 weeks later...

I have had this project just sitting in my to do pile and haven't relaly had a chance to get to it. Last night I caught an episode of LH (the one where charles is away and a young guy named chris comes to walknut grove and works for the ingall's building the new kitchen). There was a scene where Caroline is wearing her red shawl. It got be all fired up to get working on my project now.

Guess what I will be doing today?

Archived