Red Heart Yarns --- Carried Away?

DebraKay

Does anyone else think Red Heart has gotten carried away with so MANY variations of acrylic yarns? For instance.....for softer-than-Super Saver yarns in all acrylic, you can choose between: Comfort, Soft, Super Soft, Soft Touch, Smoothie, and the newest With Love! That is not even going into the different weights offered in each one of them! Sometimes variety is a good thing BUT it cost them more money to have all of these different variations and that means it cost US more money! Just like cars, the "models" are getting too many and the prices go up. Remember back when each Manufacturer of automobiles had like 3 or 4 models! Now who cna even count them all? Yarn is doing the same thing. :ohdear

The 6 RH "soft" versions could easily be made into one or maybe two yarns -- you could have Soft and Extra Soft. You would still have the regular Red Heart Super Saver and a few other variations like Chunky and the like. But you could do this for all of the variations and wind up with 1/3 or mabe even 1/5 of what they offer now!

I wouldn't even complain, but the last time I went looking for yarn for an afghan, they had so many different varieties, but not enough of ANY of them to make an afghan unless I wanted to go for over 5 colors! I wind up having to order my yarn because I can never get enough of what I need. I would much rather the stores carry just a few options and then thoroughly stock them both in color choices and quantities.

My life must be very good if this is all I can find to complain about! Right? ;) And it is. So, this is not a rant just a snivel. :heehee The good news is that Red Heart has 25% off everything you order (if your order is over $50)! They also have their Red Heart Super Saver on sale in the Cherry Red and Soft Navy (to help with Special Olympic Scarf making) $2.99 for 7 oz skeins! Then take 25% off that and you are getting them for $2.24 each. This made them just a tiny bit cheaper than buying the Red Heart 16 oz. size. So there is good news afterall! I needed to order more red and blue for Spiderman afghans but I made sure to order some extra to make a couple of scarves to send in too. :)

I do think they are getting carried away. And some of the newer yarns are getting discontinued, so if you did start a project and run out, you may not be able to get more.

I agree with the statement about the car manufacturers. Make a few really good choices and be done with it already.

I have yet to see all the wonderful kinds of RH, but I have seen them in magazines.

:manyheart

Luckily (or actually not quite so luckily), I only have easy access to Super Saver here in town and maybe the holiday yarns. But I do have a LYS that carries tons of non-RH lines hehe But my closest Hobby Lobby is 45 minutes from my house, and Michael's is over an hour :(

I just have to order online and hope I get lucky :D But yeah, it is a little insane with so many different product lines.

Yes, I think they are getting carried away too.

I just unpacked an amount of yarn equal to 3 plastic garbage bags that I had packed away 10 years ago. In it was a lot of Red Heart Super Saver 8 oz skeins. They were very soft ~ much softer than today's Super Savers. The company should have left things as they were ~ soft 8 oz skeins.

I do agree, RHSS was a lot softer years ago. As with most things these days, everyone tries to make things the cheapest way possible. I always loved RedHeart but now I get frustrated with it when just trying to find the starting end or get through a skein and not find a knot.

Does anyone else think Red Heart has gotten carried away with so MANY variations of acrylic yarns? For instance.....for softer-than-Super Saver yarns in all acrylic, you can choose between: Comfort, Soft, Super Soft, Soft Touch, Smoothie, and the newest With Love! That is not even going into the different weights offered in each one of them! Sometimes variety is a good thing BUT it cost them more money to have all of these different variations and that means it cost US more money! Just like cars, the "models" are getting too many and the prices go up. Remember back when each Manufacturer of automobiles had like 3 or 4 models! Now who cna even count them all? Yarn is doing the same thing. :ohdear

The 6 RH "soft" versions could easily be made into one or maybe two yarns -- you could have Soft and Extra Soft. You would still have the regular Red Heart Super Saver and a few other variations like Chunky and the like. But you could do this for all of the variations and wind up with 1/3 or mabe even 1/5 of what they offer now!

I wouldn't even complain, but the last time I went looking for yarn for an afghan, they had so many different varieties, but not enough of ANY of them to make an afghan unless I wanted to go for over 5 colors! I wind up having to order my yarn because I can never get enough of what I need. I would much rather the stores carry just a few options and then thoroughly stock them both in color choices and quantities.

My life must be very good if this is all I can find to complain about! Right? ;) And it is. So, this is not a rant just a snivel. :heehee The good news is that Red Heart has 25% off everything you order (if your order is over $50)! They also have their Red Heart Super Saver on sale in the Cherry Red and Soft Navy (to help with Special Olympic Scarf making) $2.99 for 7 oz skeins! Then take 25% off that and you are getting them for $2.24 each. This made them just a tiny bit cheaper than buying the Red Heart 16 oz. size. So there is good news afterall! I needed to order more red and blue for Spiderman afghans but I made sure to order some extra to make a couple of scarves to send in too. :)

Can you give us a link to this Red Heart has 25%

my two cents worth, ha ha, seems you're right, and so many of the new Yarns Red Heart offers, is much like the others, it's all softer, so is Super Soft softer than Made with Love, or soft touch, or SMoothie smoother than soft touch, or chunky chunkier yet smooth AND soft??? I dunno, Im good with the standards, thanks! I would be even happier if the prices went down a bit, and froze there, lol

Can you give us a link to this Red Heart has 25%
Kathy already answered, but just in case you missed it: http://www.shopredheart.com/ The Promo code is SCARF25

I have no problem with lots of varieties and choices. I have a real problem with only finding a few skeins of each and not enough to do a project!

Yes -- thank you! That is what I saw as the problem too! (See my first post where I described trying to find enough of any color or type to make an afghan. I had to order!) I would not mind lots of variety if they could (1) keep them all fully stocked in all the colors and quantities and (2) it did not result in higher prices. After all variety is the spice of life and that would be nice if you didn't have to sacrifice the others! :)

Still, it is not that big of a deal, I was more or less making an observation. My folks and I had the discussion about automobiles just the other day. My dad used to be able to tell you the make, model and year of any car he saw, but no more -- too many! All of that variety results in higher prices! Thnk of all the parts that have to be stocked for each and every one! They actually have a law that they have to stock all of the parts for so many years after every model is made. Many, many go to waste but the6y have to have them and who pays -- we do! Okay now my little complaint is starting to sound like a rant and I did not want to do that. Sorry! ;)

It is fun to talk about anyway. I do wonder which soft yarn is the softest. They should have named them soft, softer, and softest like Sears does with their products (good, better, and best). LOL!

I like the newer additions to RH. I have problems using super saver because my skin is so sensitive that it (unfortunately) irritates my hands with the yarn flowing through my fingers. I think that's why most of my projects are done in Caron brand, because it is so soft. So when I saw RH offer yarns that were softer, I've been excited to try them. (BUT! I'm trying to work through my stash before treating myself.) :cheer

About availability, I'm in a rural area and often shop at WM. If I'm working on a one-color afghan, more often than not I am unable to purchase all of the yarn I need. They have such small sections per color and rarely do I catch them when they're full. But they don't carry the soft bamboo blends, so I get those at my LYS, sometimes on special order. ;)

Wouldn't it be great to have a LYS as big as a Super Walmart with every yarn company's complete inventory with constant replenishment??? Oh .... wait... I think that will be in our section of heaven! :angel

Archived