If you were to start a crochet circle...

I'd start with a "catchy" crochet 'n' circle of friends type of header.

Under that, a couple sentences summarizing what you are aiming for, and keeps the vital information very clear. you might want to include the date/time/place info a second time, at the bottom of the page : something like

Do you want to make new friends, fellowship and crochet at the same time? Meet up at (myhouse,mycoffeeshop,mywhateverplace) on (dayoftheweek, everymonth/every2weeks) at (time). Come check us out!

Come as you are, no sign-up/commitment required, come when you can...

Oh, and I'd find a cute border, or little images to make a border, with hooks, yarn, hearts, things like that (or at least that you could put in the corners)

Build it full page, and use the printer option to print 2/sheet if you want smaller ones to put up :)

Maybe play with fonts while you're at it. :)

HTH

I would recommend starting at a public place--coffee place, library, community center--before allowing strangers (who may or *may not* become friends) to know where you live. It's just like a blind date, but with more people. Be aware of your personal safety.

Use your cell phone for contact, or a Hotmail/Gmail/Yahoo email address you've opened for this purpose only.

After a few meetings, you'll know whether you want the group to meet at your home.

As to the first line, maybe "Hooked on Yarn? Love Crochet?"

DCM

Use your cell phone for contact, or a Hotmail/Gmail/Yahoo email address you've opened for this purpose only.

Personally, I'd make a group on Facebook or something -- possibly in addition to creating a new email address. Makes announcements and general communication among members a little simpler.

Content-wise... keep your audience in mind. I've seen puns on "hooking" associated with crochet groups, for example, and it's usually taken as a tongue-in-cheek joke, but some folks would probably be put off by it. *shrug*

To each her own of course, but the whims of Mark Zuckerberg aren't good enough for the safety of my privacy on Facebook. I don't have an account and don't plan to have one.

Thus my suggestion of email: you can hide behind your "dedicated" email address until you feel more comfortable with the "regulars" in the crochet group.

An additional possible venue, although most of them are in high demand due to the generally low rents: church classrooms. You need not be a member of a church to use its facilities, although that usually bumps you up the priority list.

DCM

I have a location that is not my house, and they will post a flyer on location about it. I'm just wanting to convey the beauty of the circle of old, the heart of such a gathering, the love of the craft... Mainly looking for what to say specifically about that. Maybe it's just a feeling that will have to be experienced? Hopefully it will be reached!

I guess this is kind of how I would word it. I would make a statement about bringing there stuff so no one thinks it is a class and you are providing materials. Also, if it was my group I would add no children under 16 or 18 and those must also crochet or knit. Hope this helps you.

Wish someone would start a group near me.

A new crochet/knit group is forming at _____. If you love to crochet or knit please come join others like you (beginners welcomed) for a chance to socialize and show off your work. Bring your current work in progress and hooks. Our first meeting will be on ______, hope to see you there.

Would there be nothing about the love of crochet or the heart of gathering in friendship? I don't know how to word this! LOL!

Sorry, (Silly me!) I didn't realize you were looking for more than just the bare bones. :blush

I must say, I totally agree with DCM, I am NOT a fan of facebook for too many reasons to list here, but I do think a web presence is good to have. Perhaps a simple blog where members can check in to see what's going on with the group but is not the only source of information.

Anyway, back to the flier... Start with something in a larger font to catch attention, but still straight forward. You want them to know right away what it is that you are "selling" otherwise they are likely to overlook it without another thought. Something like "Like to Crochet or Knit?" or maybe "Like to play with yarn?"

Then go on to say something about friendship and gathering, etc... "(name of group) is a group of crocheters/needle artists who gather for friendship, fun, and fiber!"

Then go on to give the specifics, time, date, place, etc...

Hope that helps ;)

If you are open to other fiber crafts in addition to crochet, I personally think that is the way to go. I got a local group started a few years ago and we are open to any fiber art. in this rural area/small town I think there would never be enough just-crocheters to have a group. I've been amazed at how much i've benefited from seeing what people are embroidering etc.

If you are on Ravelry, that was a good beginning for me. i posted in the most local forum i could find and you can also locate people from your area and PM them, just to say you are forming a group. I also posted a local notice here on the ville but sadly got little response.

Also, LYS may have a listing of local groups in the store/on their website that you can get on.

I don't know how large you can make your flyer but I think it's good to have the important info in a pretty big font so it will catch people's eye. I don't really have a good suggestion on how to describe the "feeling" you are hoping to achieve. In the beginning of our group i just wanted to get together w/ other sttichers. i could not have predicted the path the group would take and what we have ended up sharing.

*shrug* I didn't say anyone was or wasn't a FB fan -- the plain fact about advertising something is that you've got to find the best ways to get the word to your target audience. Five years ago, that would have been MySpace. For that matter, twenty years ago it would have been fliers on bulletin boards at the local library and grocery stores. Right now, I'd take leave to doubt whether most people even know where the library is, or whether there's a 'notices' tackboard at their market. But Facebook -- and Twitter, for that matter -- are where the networking is currently happening. After another few years, it'll be something else entirely. Maybe this new social site that Google's launched is poised to take over, who knows?

(Personally, I'm still stuck on the amused giggling over MySpace popularity dropping so fast that Fox literally paid someone to take it off their hands, but that's another story altogether... o_O)

But to get back on track -- you might want to think about designating someone in the crochet circle to build and run a Facebook group at some point, just because having presence at the site really is pretty useful at present. *shrug* Or there are other sites you can make use of for networking, too; LiveJournal has a number of communities dedicated to crocheting, for example. Or there are the location-based groups at Ravelry, too. Advertise in multiple venues, is what I'm trying to get at... it's kind of like distributing your eggs among multiple baskets, if you know what I mean. ^_~

twenty years ago it would have been fliers on bulletin boards at the local library and grocery stores. Right now, I'd take leave to doubt whether most people even know where the library is, or whether there's a 'notices' tackboard at their market.

[/size]

Facebook is one way to go, but personally I am not a huge fan of it, nor do I follow anything on twitter.

As i said above, the regional forum on Ravelry was a good start for me, but after the first couple of people, we have not actually added any new members via Ravelry. In our group's case, we meet at the local library, and most members first saw the flyer on the bulletin board there, or actually saw us stitching. One or 2 people first learned of the group via listings on LYS websites.

So i do think that a paper flyer can be quite effective and I know a LOT of people use libraries!

...Right now, I'd take leave to doubt whether most people even know where the library is, or whether there's a 'notices' tackboard at their market...

I most certainly DO know where my local library is and so do a large number of people in my town and across the country I'm sure. It is still very much a thriving institution. I know this because I am in there quite often and it's always busy. I've never not had to wait in at least a short line. Benjamin Franklin would be proud!

... But Facebook -- and Twitter, for that matter -- are where the networking is currently happening...

Are there facts to back these statements? Relying on the internet as your sole means of conveying information to the masses is an exercise in futility. There is no doubt that facebook and twitter are "big" right now, but these sites rely on the notion that people know who or what they are looking for. You cannot effectively hit your target audience in these arenas if they don't know you are there in the first place.

Magiccrochetfan had an excellent suggestion of finding people with similar interests in your area on Ravelry to invite. I'm sure that would be quite a feat to achieve on facebook! The tried and true "hard copy" method of advertising is the next logical step. After that word of mouth takes over. Certainly a web presence is wise, whether it be facebook, twitter, blogger, or whatever else is out there, but only after initial contact is made will it be most effective.

IMO

I most certainly DO know where my local library is and so do a large number of people in my town and across the country I'm sure. It is still very much a thriving institution. I know this because I am in there quite often and it's always busy.

It just happens that our local knitting/crochet/fiber arts group meets at our local library. You can even still check out books with crochet, knitting information and patterns.

It just happens that our local knitting/crochet/fiber arts group meets at our local library. You can even still check out books with crochet, knitting information and patterns.

I think a lot of groups meet at their local libraries. I talked to one of the librarians here about getting a group going. I need to check in with her to see if any progress has been made. I don't have the time to organize it myself so was hoping she would run with it...

a person can also go to the library to use a computer;) to check in on the Ville! and from home on your own computer you can download e-books from the library.

I miss that e-book function! We had an awesome selection of titles when I lived in MD, but my small library here doesn't have the resources. I also miss the free access to all the genealogy websites from home too!

But you are absolutely correct. I think most, if not all, libraries have free access to computers. I have had to take advantage of that service a few times over the years.

You can also borrow (or rent, depending on the library) many different types of equipment from laptops to toys. Our library here in Conneaut has toy bags that you can check out for the kids. They are each based on a book that comes in the bag too.

You can read a newspaper or check out DVDs. You can also check out most of the current crochet magazines. And some libraries even offer "make it & take it" crafts for the kids. So libraries are not just for books and bulletin boards!

You are all so helpful~*THANK YOU!* "Traditions" is a word I like, and while I opened up to knitters (without instruction being offered, as I don't know how to!) I also never thought about other stitchers! It would be great to have someone there cross stitching, or doing needle point, etc. Maybe it's the actual circle I'm after.... (((((HUGS))))) sandi

• 3 weeks later...
You are all so helpful~*THANK YOU!* "Traditions" is a word I like, and while I opened up to knitters (without instruction being offered, as I don't know how to!) I also never thought about other stitchers! It would be great to have someone there cross stitching, or doing needle point, etc. Maybe it's the actual circle I'm after.... (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Yeah, i think the "circle" can be really strong whether or not everyone is doing the same craft. :yes:yes

Just to update, I have been there three times and had only one or two come to crochet. One was a young woman who was left-handed, and sadly we could not get past the slip knot on the hook! I felt like a terrible teacher, BUT I think she will come again. Another was a little girl who lost interest after a time. I have not lost hope though, and I enjoy that built-in time to get my own projects done! :)

Just to update, I have been there three times and had only one or two come to crochet. One was a young woman who was left-handed, and sadly we could not get past the slip knot on the hook! I felt like a terrible teacher, BUT I think she will come again. Another was a little girl who lost interest after a time. I have not lost hope though, and I enjoy that built-in time to get my own projects done! :)

If you don't mind I was just wondering where you are located? All you have to tell is the state if it is my state I will private message you. If you don't wanna share in public ok just private message me. If you don't want to share at all that is fine also.

Archived