Are the AG dolls still as popular as they were?

I was just wondering if the American Girl dolls are as popular with the young girls as they were maybe 10 years ago? My nieces, daughter and other kids all had them.

But since all these kids have grown up, I don't know if the dolls are still popular.

I plan on making an outfit for an AG doll for my husband's golf outing silent Auction and wanted to know if this would be worth making to donate?

Let me know.

:manyheart

I think they're still popular. My DD has a target brand 18" doll (the hair is notorious! argh), and my SIL just took her DD to the AG world in Chicago...I think it *might* be slowing down somewhat. But our school is doing a fundraising auction, and there are two AG dolls (real brand AG, not store brand copies) in the display case

HTH

My daughter has a Target AG look alike which she thinks is real all the little girls at the hockey rink have th real one so I think at least here they are still the in thing to have. I totally agree with the hair . I have a really nice one right now the hair still looks good and she sent her other one home with grandma to have a bun cover crochet for it.

Yes, they are popular, and I think it depends where you live. Before we moved to this city, all the little girls had one and where we live now, it seems no one does. I like that there are less expensive ones too, makes it easy to get an 18 inch doll. I have some of the Madame Alexander dolls and they're really nice.

I can tell you the AG store in NYC is a HUGE tourist destination. People come from literally all over the world specifically to go to the store. I'm sure in individual communities the popularity tends to vary. IMHO they are very expensive items, although well made, and not everyone can afford them.

That said, their sales are reported as $350 million annually (including all product lines, dolls, books, outfits, accessories, the magazine, etc).

CrochetinMama you did not have them growing up because they didn't exist when we were kids (I'm 35). They started to become really popular right around the time I was in college (1993-97). Then they just exploded in the late 90s.

hadn't heard of them before coming here to the 'ville. but bought my gd a Madame Alexander one from Costco for Christmas last year. Also bought some off ebay for models and one for my friends gd. She sews and is having waaay to much fun sewing things for the AG type dolls.

I have yet to pick up the hook to make something. Clothing of any size is intimidating to me :lol

coolhockeymom, my DD is quite happy with her target version too...not knowing any difference probably helps.;) You can still dress them up. It's a shame about the hair on the target dolls, b/c I think she would have really enjoyed styling it. oh well.

ETA: I don't know how I got on their mailing list...but I'm careful to hide those catalogs when they show up in the mail...oy!

I agree, the popularity of the dolls probably varies from city to city.

Thanks for the feedback. I will make a little sweater and a cap out of some nice yellow, white and pink yarn I have and will donate it to the auction. Thanks, everyone.

:manyheart

Archived