Burned library fundraiser

Wrennie

As some of you already know my little local library burned up last week. They usually have a library fair in June. I want to be able to donate some things for them to sell or raffle. I have seen afghans done for them before but when you're in 90* in direct sun its kind of hard to want a nice warm afghan. Anyone have other ideas of things I can make that would do well? t doesn't have to be crochet. I also knit, sew, bead, paint.....

There is rumor of a fundraiser earlier than the usual library fair. I still havent found out more information on that but will keep you posted when I do.

click here for news story

what about spa baskets, you could use the scented cotton for a small basket, and do a bath poof and add sample size shower gel.

finger puppets for the kids to beg for from parents, ami's.

I know when I was doing beading, i sold a ton of bracelets that used seed beads and I did 3 strands and braided them every so often I would add a little bit bigger bead. with supplies they cost about $1-1.50 and I was selling them for $15 a piece

How about towel toppers? They are fast to make, and a lot of people like them.

Sorry about your library. I hope it gets rebuilt soon. A library is an important place in a community.

:manyheart

I love our local library and am so sorry to hear about yours. How about some kind of book bag, a reusable bag people can use when they come to the new library to carry their checked out books home. You could used recycled material for these also.

Good luck!

How about some pet blankets? Those are easy and fast to do. I usually use a floor rug pattern (Leisure Arts is my favorite) with 2 strands of acrylic worsted and make them in various sizes in sophisticated, matching, colors. Most pets love to snuggle in yarn. And, I think alot of book people have pets.

A light lacey type throw is nice in summer when there is just a tinge of chill in the night air. Bookmarks, tissue box covers, eyeglass cases. Little things come to mind as well as the afore mentioned spa baskets.

have you alo thought of a book drive? to replenish their books that were lost. how abot some sewn totes. if u make jewlerymake some earings or bracletts. some crochet or beadeed bookmark..things book related.

What a great bunch of ideas!! Thanks everyone!

I do sew, totes might be a good quick project.

Tonyal where did you find the pattern for the square basket you gave me in the kitchen swap?

I think they have lots of book offers already, not sure. I went where they're temporarily set up saturday and talked to one of their workers. She said the fair will go on as usual. I'm also friends with the lady who ran the plant sale part of it last year. I was strangely successful with my tomato starts this year. Just need bigger pots to put some of them in, and more windowsil space. I'll divide a bunch of what I have in the yard to share too.

I'm sure the lady that runs the thrift store will let them take whatever books they want that she has.

It'll all work out. It'll just take time. Theres already a list of people ready to volunteer when the time comes, to build, clean oaut debris, whatever needs to be done. So thats good.

Wrennie - So very sorry about the fire and loss. Several years ago I was given a large amount of cotton yarn. I've used it to make summer blankets for newborns. I threw caution to the winds and used bright colors. The nurses made a point of saying that they loved them:) They make up quickly and are perfect for warm weather, so would probably be a popular item to sell.

post-16732-135897643442_thumb.jpg

post-16732-135897643446_thumb.jpg

post-16732-13589764345_thumb.jpg

post-16732-135897643453_thumb.jpg

What a great bunch of ideas!! Thanks everyone!

I do sew, totes might be a good quick project.

Tonyal where did you find the pattern for the square basket you gave me in the kitchen swap?

It was on the Michaels website

My friend, who works at our public library, is currently making Tunisian coasters for their annual auction. But you know what she donates to their auction every year, and which usually garners a bid of over $100? A trifle. Yup, a trifle. I had given her my sister-in-law's Kahlua trifle recipe, and she fell in love with it. So she make a trifle for display (and sampling, I guess), and makes the winner the trifle of their requested flavor--she's done lemon, amaretto, kahlua, etc.

Bookmarks, of course, are always a favorite, and she keeps a bunch on hand to stick into various baskets. Hers are tatted.

How about some quick and easy totes--crocheted and sewn? The cotton crocheted ones are fast and everyone is eco-conscious today. They can be used for shopping and for carrying library books. A tote stuffed with other donations--food, toys, whatever.

Good luck! Patty

Wrennie, here's a link to the book tote pattern I posted last month.

http://madebyjoanne.blogspot.com/2009/08/have-book-will-travel-crochet-project.html

It works up very easily - if you want some I have a huge stash of cotton on hand:D

So sorry to hear about your library!

I like the idea of making tote/book bags, especially apropos for a library. :) Sewn, or crocheted, or a combo of both.

A friend of mine makes cute beaded bookmarks, using a length of gros-grain type ribbon, and has one of those crimpy-type clips on the end--permanent crimp--(not sure how to explain it) that has a starter loop for the beads to attach to.

Oooh, tomato plants? I should imagine some started plants should be popular too.

I should start some, planting season is about 6 weeks away though (safe to start yet? how early do you start yours?)

Thanks Judi!

I have enough cotton for now. (Youre offering a yarn-a-holic more! :D )

MomCrochets, I started mine too early this year. But if tomatoes get leggy you can trench them and they usually are surdier anyway.

Snapdragons are slow growers, so they got started at least 12 weks before my last frost.

At 6 weeks you can start anything thats transplantable.

Thanks! I just wish it were coming out a little bit bigger.

Thanks Wrennie...guess it's safe to buy some seeds then ;)

Hope your crafting is going well for this fundraiser :)

When you buy them just be sure the instructions dont say to start indoors 12 (or more than 6) weeks ahead of your spring planting date.

ooh, yes. good point. I'll be sure to check that. Thanks. I've bought seedlings before, but I thought I'd like to try my own. not to hi-jack your thread or anything, but I found this via tipnut, and thought they were really neat. hoping DH will help me make a couple this spring, in time for planting... http://earthtainer.tomatofest.com/

I thought it looked pretty neat. Bought some seeds today, one was an heirloom variety :D, and a bag of starting mix (rather than my regular potting soil) ...now to fold some newspapers into seed-starter pots (also something I found via tipnut)

How's your fundraiser 'ghan coming along?

Archived