My yarn blinders are off.

I learned how to crochet using RHSS. Of course that was almost 20 years ago :eek when you could buy it for cheap at Woolworth's. Those days are long gone. I have always stuck with RHSS for the price and variety of colors. However, like most of us, I have noticed the rise in price and decline in quality. So I have branched out. I have been missing out on some good yarns! :yes I used to "splurge" on Caron Simply Soft, but now I am on a mission! I have started using all different kinds of yarn in different weights. I feel like a kid in a candy store! Anyone else ever have this experience? What are some of your favorite yarns? :yarn

I've only recently begun crocheting again after not crocheting for many years. Until Crochetville, I had never heard of I Love This Yarn. Where has this stuff been my whole life? :rofl Hobby Lobby has only recently come to my area and I'm glad it did. It's pricey, though, at least it is for me. I was using Caron Simply Soft from Wal-Mart until mine stopped carrying it. They might have started again, but since I've found I Love This Yarn I haven't really checked. :lol They carry Red Heart but it makes my hands itch so I don't use it. We also have a Michael's but I haven't tried their Loops and Threads yet.

The two main yarns I use are Caron Simply Soft and Loops and Threads Charisma. I LOVE Loops and Threads Charisma. It is so soft and works up fast.

I still have some of the old 8 oz skeins of Red Heart and the quality difference is astounding. It's so much better.

One I've tried more recently that I like is Vanna's Choice.

For afghans, I use Caon's one pound yarn. It's inexpensive (if you catch it on sale) and easier to use than RHSS (I've never had the Caron's yarn split on me.) For other projects, I love I Love This Yarn. I can't get it locally, though, so I have to buy it on-line. I use a lot of Simply Soft. I like to buy clearance yarn, experiment with different types.

I've been on a sock yarn kick - not for socks but lots of other things. My family teases me that I could open up my own yarn shop with the amount & variety in my stash. Heaven help me if I get into a "real" yarn store though. Then I'm really a kid in a candy store! :lol

Oh yes! Once you start branching out, it's difficult to go back. And not just with brands...trying different fibers will make you drool (and empty your wallet.) I do a lot of felting (with wool) and have a hard time making something out of acrylic. Even the "soft" acrylics feel rough after working with the soft wool. Acrylic blends are also really fun and a great way to be introduced to other fibers!

oh my! Today was my very first trip to Hobby Lobby since I started crocheting again! I just stood there trying to take it all in. Didn't even know where to start! lol So many different textures, colors, types. I was like, if I had to pick ONE how could I? My daughter and I were just in awe over all the types. So far, we had just used walmart stuff.

Brit said she fell in love with even just the I Love that Yarn packaging! lol

I fell in love with the natural bamboo yarn (SO SOFT) and the I love this cotton was so soft too!! It was definitely pricey compared to what I've been getting so have to start watching sales and coupons.

From walmart, I really like the Caron Simply Soft.

I learned to crochet using RHSS. It was great to learn on, but I haven't bought any in quite some time. Except for afghans or pattern testing, I don't really use worsted weight acrylics much anymore. When I do, I usually use Simply Soft, although there are some fun sparkly yarns in ILTY I'd love to try.

My favorite yarns are boucles. I'm using Baby Bee Lambie Pie for the first time, and I love it. I love the soft squishy look and feel of boucles. If I'm looking for something to show off stitch patterns, I like wool or cotton. I love Hobby Lobby's I Love This Cotton.

When I wasn't quite as much of a yarn snob, I would look at a ball of fancier yarn and think "$6 (or whatever) for a ball of yarn? I don't think so." Now, even while my budget doesn't allow me to spend as much as I'd like on yarn, I have no problem dishing out $12 - $15 on a hank of nice stuff. I'm hoping that eventually I'll be financially stable enough to be the $25 and up stuff whenever the fancy strikes me. Ah, to dream. ;)

I too learned to crochet on RHSS and that's all I used and I thought it was a great staple yarn and I built a pretty big stash of it. But now that I've used other fibers (wool, wool blends, cotton blends and mercerized cotton, particularly Sinfonia) I hardly ever make anything with worsted weight acrylic. I love sport and DK weights in these other fibers, but I am planning to make a multicolored afghan in a sport weight acrylic. I should really think about getting rid of some of my RHSS so that I have room for other yarn. I can't afford to buy yarn on a regular basis, but I do try to place pretty big orders at least a couple of times a year and boy do I love it when those boxes come.

I remember using many yarns there was wintuk, sayelle, dazzalaire learned with red heart yarn and been branching out too, Caron one pounders, and learned how to crochet bouclles yarn which I love the tonal colors they make for interesting afghan patterns. There are so many beautiful yarns now that sometimes it is hard what to buy next. Now the price is high on some then you have figure out in ounces not like the old days when there were 8 ounce skeins. But that is a good challenge to figure how much to get. It feels good to have so many wonderful choices to.crochet or knit with.

Archived