In Praise of Cébélia

HomekeepingGran

I just have to say I love DMC Cébélia thread. I was crocheting with it last night and the light from the lamp beside me made the beautiful thread softly glisten, and all the lovely twists leaped out to be seen. It is not so expensive as some even more upscale threads but still finishes with a beautiful hand. It's a great thread! :manyheart

I got a bunch of that thread at the thrift store in different sizes. I think I paid like .25 or .50.

Carol:hook

Wow! What a fabulous find and how lucky you were that day! Congratulations on a super deal, Carol!

Alas, not only are there fewer Cebelia colors, some of them has are ugly. I don't like the yellows in particular, and I would like a very pale blue. The whites come off badly when compared with the whites of other brands.

I found the now discontiued Opera threads great to work with.

Lately, I have been using Lizbeth threads. They come in a beautiful range of colors and are also very good to work with. But, they don't have a size 30, which is my usual choice.

I haven't tried the Lizabeth yet. I love some of the colors they have. I need to justify more thread because I have a room full of the stuff. I just love having it around because when I want to do something I have it right here. It's a sickness.

Marcia

I have my threads organized by color and size in several plastic drawers, so I can see my rainbow. When I get a new shipment, I really enjoy merging the new threads into the stash. Choosing colors and threads for a new project is also a treat. (There is no need to justify getting the essentials of life.)

Joan

I got a bunch of that thread at the thrift store in different sizes. I think I paid like .25 or .50.

Carol:hook

Wow way to go on your find:clap:clap:clap:clap, what a deal :c9,, I bet your on cloud 9. Its been eons since I found something like that 50cent for the whole bag.

What colors did you get?

Alas, not only are there fewer Cebelia colors, some of them has are ugly. I don't like the yellows in particular, and I would like a very pale blue. The whites come off badly when compared with the whites of other brands.

I guess I haven't bought much white in other brands but I do know you have to be careful with Cébélia to get either all Blanc, a pearly white, or all B5200, which is a very white white. I keep some of both and check before using them. And yes, not that long ago they had more colors than they used to. Kind of sad. More colors would be super. My LYS does offer some very nice European threads which I have used successfully, too.

Alas, my LYS' are the big chain stores which don't carry anything smaller than size 10, and most of that is not Cebelia. Thanks goodness for the internet and eBay, where I can still find Opera and DMC cordonnet

• 4 weeks later...

Archived