Lil' Buns

diamond

My great-niece (8) is in many dance competitions and has to wear her hair in buns all the time. Her hair is long enough for a short ponytail but not long enough for a bun. My sister asked if I could make her some bun covers (snoods). Here's what I came up with. The string thru some are drawstrings to pull tighter if needed. 2 are made with fun fur, red one with #10 thread and the others just scrap yarn I had laying around. They all have a small Goody ouchless hairband in them.

Top view:

lilbuns3ia.th.jpg

Underneath view:

lilbunsbk5ua.th.jpg

Images clickable for larger/better viewing.

They are all freehand and none are exactly alike. It's really simple, for example:

Ch 6, sl st into first st to form a loop

Row 1: 8 dc into loop, join with sl st to top of first dc

Row 2: ch 6, sk next st, dc into next st, around, join w/ sl to to top of 1st dc.

Row 3: repeat row 2

Row 4: ch 1, sc around, join w/sl st to top of 1st dc

Row 5: ch 3, dc around, join w/sl sl to top of 1st sc

Row 6: holding elastic band, sc around & over elastic band.

Fasten off & weave in ends.

No matter what design you use, always use a row of DC before attaching the elastic band. This way, if you choose to add a drawstring, you can weave the drawstring thru the row of DC. Drawstrings don't go into SC very well & they won't pull if you can manage to get them thru.

For the drawstring, I simply made a chain as long as I thought necessary, before weaving in the ends, I used a needle to thread the drawstring thru the snood using every other loop. After the drawstring is weaved thru, I weaved in the ends of the ties with a much smaller hook.

Thanx all! They are quick to make up. I made all 5 of these last night while watching TV. Also, the pattern I posted above was just off the top of my head. I don't know if it's something I actually made or if it will work. You just kinda figure it out as you go depending on how much hair you need to go into it. You can also use larger elastic bands if needed by increasing the number of stitches used.

Those are cute. I think I need to make some of these, I always wondered if the hair stays in ok? I guess that is why you have the drawstring though.

To keep your hair in any type of snood, you first need to put your hair in a ponytail, roll your hair around into a bun formation, then put the ponytail/bun into the snood. Tighten the drawstring to keep the snood in place. I think the key to keeping your hair from 'peeking' through the snood is a closer stitch, especially if you have shorter hair.

Archived