Memories

My Grandma taught me to crochet when I was little. She must have had a lot of patience... because I didn't. lol I lost her not long before I lost my husband. I have been flooded with memories lately it seems. I decided to take some pictures of things she made through the years and add them to my pb album. Sadly, many of the things were lost or destroyed over the years as my family moved so much. I'm so thankful for the things I have left. I thought I would share a couple of the most special ones.

The pink and blue afghan was the one my grandma made in '72 when she found out my mom was pregnant with me. :) Then, when I found out I was expecting my daughter, she told me to pick out the colors for her baby afghan and I chose peach and mint. She thought that was an odd choice, but I like different things and have passed that on to my dd as well. She not only made an afghan for Brittany but also a sweater, hat and booties to wear home from the hospital. My mom made the gorgeous little satin dress/panties.

The Bible cover was made by Grandma for my wedding. And I just thought the doily she made my mom was pretty. She made so many things over the years and I'm so sad that most are gone. Hats, slippers, purses and the list goes on. I am so grateful that she passed her knowledge on to me while she was still here. I know she is smiling down on me now.

post-44513-135897625982_thumb.jpg

post-44513-135897625986_thumb.jpg

post-44513-135897625988_thumb.jpg

post-44513-13589762599_thumb.jpg

They are gorgeous memories. What is a really deep thought is that you, me and everyone else who crafts and creates, are all making memories for our relatives and friends. Many of them will outlast us...

I still have one pair of pillowcases with crocheted edgings my grandmother did. A couple days ago, I was showing them to one of my girlfriends who tats.

To think back now ... how Grandma must have loved us. She gave all of us girls (4) crocheted edged pillowcases all our lives, even as adults.

What wonderful things you have to remember her by! I have a couple of full size afghans that mine made for us when we got married. We use them every night. It's a good way to remember my gram too.

:manyheart

Beautiful! I wish I had learned from my Grandma while I still had her. I taught myself many years later. I have things she made and I made a throw from some of her scrap squares we found in storage. A psychic once told me I had a "grandmother spirit" around me so maybe she is teaching me.

Beautiful! I wish I had learned from my Grandma while I still had her. I taught myself many years later. I have things she made and I made a throw from some of her scrap squares we found in storage. A psychic once told me I had a "grandmother spirit" around me so maybe she is teaching me.

Those who are special to us are always around us...:manyheart

I. too, believe that the people we love who have passed on are always near us in spirit. What lovely keepsakes you have to remember your Grandmother by.

My Grandma taught me to crochet when I wanted Barbie stuff when I was 10. Then she'd say, "Why you are getting really clever with your crochet" when I surpassed her in the craft.

She would be really proud and confounded--think Stained Glass Afghan--of my abilitiy now. Reminds me of yhat old ciggie commercial. "You've come a long way, Baby!"

And most of us here on this forum who share our projects and our memories have.

My Grandma always told me, "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do with out" She was thrifty and creative and passed that spirit on to me.

I loved your story!

:hug

I use to watch my Grandmom crochet when I was young. She tried to teach me and I just couldn't get it. I don't have anything she made. I do remember the dollies and how pretty they were. I really do envy you and your treasures.

My aunt taught me to knit and crochet when I was little and I didnt pick it up again until I had my own kids! Anyway she used to enter competitions with her items and did very well and when my daughter (who is named after her) was born my mum had kept a dusky rose cardigan she had made and I proudly put it on my daughter as often as possible! I also have a doily set in pinks and purples with pansies round the outside on my dressing table and everyday it reminds me of what a wonderful person she was and what a positive influence she had on my life!

"My Grandma always told me, "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do with out" She was thrifty and creative and passed that spirit on to me."

Now that should be the Green Slogan for this generation!!!:yes:D

My mom has some doilies that her grandmother did. My grams (dad's mom) knitted and crocheted. I don't have anything she made. When she passed, I got a big bag of granny squares, which might have been tossed :( if nobody in the family:crocheting. I :crocheting them together and gave it to my dad.

Ellie 13

Thanks everyone for the comments and reminiscing with me. lol

I just found out from my mom, that the pink/blue/white afghan is sort of unusual. My grandma worked at a carpet mill at the time. I wondered why the white had a shiny look to it. It is from a roll of carpet yarn that my grandpa had brought home. The afghan is really soft and still looks great all these ..ahem.. 38 years later. lol Mom said back then, she crocheted a lot with carpet yarn.

Does anyone recognize that doily pattern? I would love to make one like it. I have it here but I need a pattern to follow.

thanks again

Archived