Color Block Designs - Flannelghan Style - A Collaborative Effort

Shell Lee

RoseRed and I have been working together to come up with an adaption of her Lumberjack Flannelghan pattern to work with smaller squares, more colors, and to create designs with those squares.

Color Block Designs - Flannelghan Style - A Collaborative Effort

Color Ideas by Shell Lee

Pattern by RoseRed

Pattern can be found in Post #2.

Color Graphs will be available in Posts #3 and #4.

Edit: Just a quick note, the ghan pictured here currently is the 10 inch square Flannelghan pattern. (The original Flannelghan pattern can be found here: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42711 ). I posted the picture here to show one of the possible color designs that can be done. Once I have a Color Blocks Design Flannelghan Style finished I will change the picture to that.

post-44633-135897624029_thumb.jpg

It has been a pleasure working with Shell Lee. Her ideas on color placement are wonderful!

For your crocheting pleasure - here is the new pattern for a:

Color Block Designs

Flannelghan style 6 inch square strips

Skill Level: easy

Finished size: will be dependent on the block design you choose

9x9 – 54 inches square

11x11 – 66 inches square

Gauge: 4 inch sq = 11 sts x 9 rows

Materials:

2 strands of Simply Soft throughout

approx total yarn weight for 9x9 = 5 ½ pounds

approx total yarn weight for 11x11 = 6 pounds

Hook size: K/ 10 ½ / 6.5 mm

Finishing needle for weaving in ends

Pattern Notes:

Pattern is worked in strips.

Each strip is a specific number of color blocks.

Each color block is 13 rows.

Strips are whip-stitched together when completed

Pattern Stitches

ch – chain st

hdc – half double crochet

Instructions

With K hook and 2 strands of Simply Soft ch 16

Color Block #1

Row 1 – hdc in 2nd ch from hook and in next 14 chs, turn (15 hdc)

Rows 2 – 13 – ch1, hdc in each st across, turn (15 hdc)

Color Block #2

Changing to appropriate color for pattern selected

Rows 14 – 26 - ch1, hdc in each st across, turn (15 hdc)

Color Block #3 – end

Repeat directions for Color Block #2 until strip is completed according to color placement chart.

Construction

Whip-stitch each strip together making certain to line up the corners of each color block. Also make sure that each strip has the same side facing forward.

Border

Round 1 - with right side facing attach 2 strands of Simply Soft with (sc, ch3, hdc) in the 1st stitch of the top right corner, hdc across, (hdc, ch2, hdc) in last st, make ¼ turn, *work 2 hdc around post of each dc across, make ¼ turn,* (hdc, ch2, hdc) in 1st dc, hdc across, repeat from * to * once, slst into the first ch to join, turn

Round 2 – ch1, hdc in same st as join, *hdc across, (hdc, ch2, hdc) in ch-2 sp* around, hdc across to 1st hdc, slst to join, turn

Round 3 - ch1, sc in same st as join, *sc across, 3sc in ch-2 sp* around, sc across to 1st sc, slst to join, tie off and weave in ends.

Please note that this pattern has not been tested yet. If you find any errors please contact me directly so that they can be corrected as quickly as possible. Thank you.

Copyright 2011~Michele Shirley~All rights reserved.

Post #3 Reserved for Color Block Graphs

Edit: Added the rough graphs for now. The colors are not perfect (Paint does not have a lot of options) but it gives you an idea of some of the different designs. I will update with the new and improved graphs once I get them finished and scanned in!

post-44633-135897624052_thumb.jpg

post-44633-135897624056_thumb.jpg

post-44633-135897624501_thumb.jpg

post-44633-135897624504_thumb.jpg

post-44633-135897624506_thumb.jpg

post-44633-135897624509_thumb.jpg

(Sorry about the glare on the graphs, the colored pencils are reflecting the light when taking pictures. I have the flash off, but they are still reflecting light)

Note: The 11x11 square designs will use roughly 18-20 skeins of Caron Simply Soft using double strands, depending on how you crochet. The blankets are warm and heavy, perfect for cold winter nights or snuggling under while the A/C kicks out the cold air in the summer. Some of the designs would be easy to do as single strand squares as well, which will make the blankets lighter and use less yarn. Either use a varigated yarn for the blended squares or pick a design that is all solid colors if you want to make single strand squares.

Ocean Waves Graph: 3 Solid Colors

Color A - Gray-Blue

Color B - Dark Blue

Color C - Medium Blue

Variation: 2 Solid Colors, 1 Varigated

Color A - Varigated - Colors B+C

Color B - Medium Blue

Color C - Light Blue

Big Flower Graph: 6 Colors (I am currently making this design. After each color in parentheses I'll list the Simply Soft shades I'm using)

Color D - Dark Green (Dark Sage)

Color L - Light Green (Sage)

Color M - Medium Green (Pistachio)

Color R - Red, Dark Pink, or Dark Purple (Raspberry)

Color P - Pink or Purple (Blackberry)

Color Y - Yellow (Sunshine)

Rainbow Reflections Graph: 6 Colors

Color R - Red

Color O - Orange

Color Y - Yellow

Color G - Green

Color B - Blue

Color P - Purple

Rainbow Dreams Graph: 8 Colors

Color R - Red

Color O - Orange

Color Y - Yellow

Color G - Green

Color B - Blue

Color I - Indigo

Color V - Violet

Color S - Sky Blue

Mad About Plaid Graph: 2 Main Colors, 2 shades in same families as Main Colors

Color 1 - Main Color 1

Color 2 - Lighter Shade of Main Color 1

Color 3 - Main Color 2

Color 4 - Darker Shade of Main Color 2

post-44633-135897624511_thumb.jpg

post-44633-135897624519_thumb.jpg

post-44633-135897626353_thumb.jpg

post-44633-135897626665_thumb.jpg

post-44633-13589762667_thumb.jpg

What started this whole adventure was Shell's amazing color placement for the Flannelghan that you see in the first post here. She got to playing in post 2074 in the Flannelghan CAL and it just took off from there.

The girls got talent! She should be very proud of her designs!

I've been following along in the Flannelghan CAL since I'm making a 3 colored one and have been amazed by the color placement and ideas that Shell Lee has come up with!! Can't wait to make one of these "new" flannelghans!!

Great design and great color= Great collaboration by two very talented ladies!!!! Thank you both:hug

In Post 4 I added a graph for the Big Flower design. In the list of colors, I stated which colors I personally was using for the one that I'm making.

Shown here are one of the end strips and the center strip. I did them in this order so I could show all the colors used, and to get an idea of how they look together.

post-44633-135897624522_thumb.jpg

post-44633-135897624525_thumb.jpg

These are great designs, I love 'ocean waves' and can picture it in all shades of blues and greens.

Hmm, looks like I'll be adding this to my list - Thanks for your hard work setting up these colorful designs, I can't wait to get started!

Edit: Just a quick note, the ghan pictured here currently is the 10 inch square Flannelghan pattern.

Where would I find the pattern for the 10" square?

Thanks and btw, I absolutely LOVE this new way of crocheting the flannelghan, which is a classic in and of itself!

Oh my gosh! Your placement is abosolutely amazing! I have been wanting to try one of RoseRed's flannelghans forever and now I really, really think I MUST do one of these...today!!!! Hear that? Yep! Hobby Lobby is definitely calling my name!!!

Thank you so much! This pattern is very exciting. I love the original Flannelghan very much and I made three so far. I think I'll work out a "Sunshine and Shadow" quilt type layout and see what I can come up with.

Thanks again!

Ok, i was going through my emails and come up on this from lionbrand yarn. I think it will help with the flannelghan designs. http://blog.lionbrand.com/2011/01/28/5587/?utm_source=20110204_Feb04&utm_medium=Emails&utm_campaign=Weeklynewsletter&utm_content=Blog-CreatingColorsbyDoubleStranding Hope the link works.

That is so neat!

I finished my three color flannelghan and posted in the Flannelghan CAL. I used HDC which is what I always use- and a smaller hook- N 9.00 mm- each block is 15 hdc across X 14 rows.

I did the border posted above, and the only change I made was that in the last row of the border when you SC, I did 2sc-2ch-2sc in each corner instead of the 3 sc. It seemed to lay better for me.

Now on to a baby blanket- perhaps a colorful baby flannelghan? Mmmmmmm

I have a few more designs drawn up, I just need to snap some pics of them and get them added in. Yesterday was busy with work and everything after so I didn't have a chance.

Well I got the yarn and started one last night! I'm doing the flower pattern but am using Loops & Threads yarn from Michaels instead of Simply Soft. Hobby Lobby didn't have all the colors and I wasn't crazy for their "green" shades. I must say, this is very addicting!

Archived