2011 Special Olympics Scarf Project

cris

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think that we could still send some if the deadline has already passed? Texas is more than 3,000 short, but their deadline is really close. There seem to be other states in the same situation.

Smagola

Wow, just looked at the stats of the scarves and they are way down. Maybe we should send a press release to our local stations for a call to crochet/knitters? http://www.scarvesforspecialolympics.org/media-inquiries They have photos and a press release and photos for you to use in blogs and newsletters too. the state of Nevada has 0/50 and the deadline is 2/25/11

My 25 scarves for CA is nothing for their goal of 1150 [they have 45 now]

I have 2 done and a third started for PA. I saw a post last night on Facebook from Wyoming that asked for help. They have 34 out of 400. I went and checked other states progress. I can't believe this hasn't picked up. The first year they did this....there was an over abundance of scarves! Now it seems the word hasn't reached very many. I am going to get more yarn for another state that has a later deadline.

I have 2 done and a third started for PA. I saw a post last night on Facebook from Wyoming that asked for help. They have 34 out of 400. I went and checked other states progress. I can't believe this hasn't picked up. The first year they did this....there was an over abundance of scarves! Now it seems the word hasn't reached very many. I am going to get more yarn for another state that has a later deadline.

I can't agree with your more, Clara - I was so surprised to see the shift. The first year seemed insane - and this year so many states are missing deadlines. I don't know what they are going to do for the states that don't reach - hopefully the states that got too many got enough surplus to cover the other states.

And I wanted everyone to know I have no connection to the project - I just saw it and that there were so many states not reaching goal that I figured it was ok to post here for help.

I think that's a great idea (the new thread) - I don't mind watching for it and posting provided everyone knows I have no official capacity to the project other than a soft heart and a desire to help someone else's project succeed :)

I finished one. I'll start another during reading lessons today :)

Will a new thread be started in April when the new colors are announced?

I thought the new colors weren't announced until Oct. but if it's April then that's even better. Hope you're right! :D

That would be great Chris! Here is the link where they say the new colors should be announced in April http://www.scarvesforspecialolympics.org/questions

I think it will be easier to just schedule myself to make a scarf a week for this through the year. Scarves work up so quickly :)

bigfunfam ~ I just did a little research on the net and it looks like the color announcement is earlier as it gets more organized each year. :yay

Although I'm still a little confused on why some states use different colors. :yarn

I love the scarves posted so far! Great job! :clap

Wow, I haven't visited Crochetville in about a year. just decided to chek it out and ran across this post. I would love crochet theses scarves for the Special Olympics, I'm gonna go check the states, I'm in Texas, daughter in Arizona and rest of family in California, think I'll try to do some for all of them if I have time, gotta scram time is running.

Those are nice, big! Two look very familiar LOL I really like the circles idea - I may have to steal it to use up the last of my turqua. The last one (galaxy pattern, it looks like) I started one on and had to ditch it - my tension was all over the place - so kudos for that one. It looks great!

I've got 10 done for Illinois. I'm taking a week off (mostly to get my stash number back up LOL) to get some other projects done BUT I'll be back on crocheting scarves in a week. I'll check to see which state is the farthest behind and maybe do 5 for that one.

I subscribed to their facebook so I would get notifications on when deadlines are coming up and things like that. It's been helpful to see it come though my feed.

Here is the link where they say the new colors should be announced in April http://www.scarvesforspecialolympics.org/questions

Won't that be great to have the colors in April! Then we can get a big jump on the project for next season's games!

I don't know what I did, but the above is a post from another poster.

Archived