2011 Special Olympics Scarf Project

cris

Gee, all your scarves look so nice!! I've been trying to work on some scarves for the Special Olympics, but I am having the darndest time finding the color "turqua"!! Everytime I go to Wal-mart they seem to be out of it. They seem to stock all the other colors but this one. I'm getting kind of perturbed because I am wanting to make as many scarves as I can before the Arizona deadline gets here!!:thair :thair

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oliveoil-Have you tried Michaels or Hobby Lobby? I just happened upon mine while shopping the booths in Quartzsite last week.

Unfortunately, the nearest Hobby Lobby is 3 hrs. away. We do have a Michael's that's about 45 min. away, it is a small store. Their yarn selection is very limited. There is a JoAnn's opening up this Friday that is about 40 min. away(at least I hope they are opening this Friday)!! The other JoAnn's and Michael's craft stores are in Henderson and Las Vegas which are at least 2 hrs. away!!:( :(

Hoping everyone is still checking out the states and which have deadlines coming up and still need scarves.

As it turns out, my state (IL) missed the mark by just a handful of scarves. DARN!

Unfortunately, the nearest Hobby Lobby is 3 hrs. away. We do have a Michael's that's about 45 min. away, it is a small store. Their yarn selection is very limited. There is a JoAnn's opening up this Friday that is about 40 min. away(at least I hope they are opening this Friday)!! The other JoAnn's and Michael's craft stores are in Henderson and Las Vegas which are at least 2 hrs. away!!:( :(

P.S. I found yarn!! Now it's back to work!! :lol :lol

I got a very nice thank you letter from the PA group yesterday for my one scarf. Charlene

I got a letter too - I'm going to keep it in my crochet box as a reminder why I do charity crochet :)

Whewwww, I finished, the scarves I started for Arizona and Northern California. Gonna get them in the mail tomorrow. Beat the dead line again for both states. Yeaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!. Can' wait to see what the colors for next year are going to be.

Yea!!!! Finished my scarves for Special Olympics for Arizona!! I made 14. Whew!! They're boxed and ready to go!!! As soon as I get done here, gonna get dressed and head on down to the Post Office!! Can't wait for next year.......gonna start earlier on the scarves!!:hook

P.S. It cost $9.10 to send off my box. I don't mind doing things for charity, but the shipping kills ya!!

Oliveoil ~ I agree! I'm going to start earlier too! I got my 2 for Az. and 2 for Wa. mailed off Saturday.

How is everyone shipping theirs? I sent 2 in a box priority flat rate and it was $10.95 yikes! Is there a cheaper or better way?

Wow oliveoil wtg! I sent 5 to phoenix and it was just under 15.00. Yesterday I was sending afghans out of state so I asked the lady at po about shipping in my own boxes etc. She weighed mine and said I would save about a dollar..........that's it for me...will send them all using those flat rate boxes they provide....or.......send them with dh, lol

I, too, plan to get on this sooner next year.

just wanted to pop in and say that i got a thank you letter for the six scarves i sent to the nc special olympics back in november. i had enclosed my information as instructed and wondered if i would hear from them. it was nice to know my donation arrived. i plan to participate again when new guidelines are announced.

I just sent some to Alaska (about 14 scarves). I sent them priority mail and it cost just under $15. Not bad I don't think. I'm going to work on more scarves and send them out next weekend. :)

I am really looking forward to next year because I will be able to send more scarves working on them all year long :)

• 2 weeks later...

THE DETAILS AND COLORS FOR THE 2012 SPECIAL OLYMPICS USA SCARF PROJECT WILL BE ANNOUNCED SOMETIME IN APRIL 2011 Just found this on their website. Can't wait to get started.

THE DETAILS AND COLORS FOR THE 2012 SPECIAL OLYMPICS USA SCARF PROJECT WILL BE ANNOUNCED SOMETIME IN APRIL 2011****just found this on their web site. Can't wait to get started. Ohhhhhhhh, I wonder what colors they will choose????????

I'm excited to have several months head start on the program :)

Me too. I really hope I can get scarves out this year for both Illinois and Missouri.

• 1 month later...

I checked today - the 2012 colors have not been announced. The press release for the 2011 results suggest it won't be until the end of this month.

*excited to find out*

Archived