2011 Special Olympics Scarf Project

cris

I will leave the link, because all the information is there.

http://www.scarvesforspecialolympics.org/

I encourage all of you to head on over and take some time to make one or two (or three or ten!) scarves. If your state has all their scarves or the deadline has passed, consider making scarves for another state.

The project is about unity.

- Cris

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The deadlines are different for different states. I'm donating to Wisconsin, since I live here, and the deadline is January 14th.

Yup - do check different states, especially if your state's deadline has passed. I live in Illinois. That deadline is January 18th, but there are several deadlines out into February for lots of states. I clicked on their blog to see a listing in a table (rather than having to go through each state).

Not sure I can get any done this time around. Wish I knew about it sooner. :(

Maybe I could pull a rabbit out of my hat...maybe!

When will we know the colors for 2012? Could definitely plan that one. :)

ohhhh I reallike the pattern on that first one (the rounded edge one) - is it a pattern you can share?

I personally am doing the easiest of the easy so I can knock them out fast - crocheting the colors together using a size P hook and double crochet all the way down. Nothing fancy - but they get done fast.

ohhhh I reallike the pattern on that first one (the rounded edge one) - is it a pattern you can share?

I didn't think to right down the pattern as I was making it...:(...sorry.

I bought a skein of each color and will get to work on them this weekend. My state isn't participating (sadly) and I missed the deadline for Kansas so I think I will be sending my work to Texas. That way it's somewhat local. I do want to look into why Oklahoma isn't participating though.

I have a long striped one in the making too :P I have about 4 more rows to go (halfway done). I also have one in galaxy stitch started.

hehehe

I'm a bit addicted to making these scarves!

I bought a skein of each color and will get to work on them this weekend. My state isn't participating (sadly) and I missed the deadline for Kansas so I think I will be sending my work to Texas. That way it's somewhat local. I do want to look into why Oklahoma isn't participating though.

I felt the same way,when I looked and my home state of NY wasn't listed

I wondered why

AN UPDATE:

It seems the website has updated each state's page with information about how many scarves are left for each state. Now, not all of them show the number so that leads me to believe that the state has already reached quota or is not in danger of not reaching quota.

The states I would like to present are those with RED text stating how many scarves they have. These state deadlines are fast approaching and they are no where near deadline.

My state, Illinois, needs 900 scarves and has only received 101 to date.

Louisiana needs 1400 scarves and has only received 59 so far :(

There are a lot of states on the list with this problem - so I ask that if your state deadline has passed, your state is not participating OR your state has already achieved their goal - please consider finding another state that is in need of scarves.

I think I'm going to send 5 or 6 to IL (already done) and make a few more for each state in need - or at least as many as I can make :)

- Cris

Thanks Cris. I'll take a better look at the list to decide where to send mine since OK isn't participating.

That would be so nice of you (and it surprises me OK isn't participating). I wonder if they'll take any surplus and apply it to the states in need.

Archived