"the sak" inspired bags

mimicat

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How is it that I haven't opened this thread till now? Those bags are gorgeous!! Really lovely work! I love the pink striped one!! And hubby looked over and was very impressed with the brown one!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Mimi:

I'm just finishing up one very similar to yours (you inspired me) but used J&P Coats nylon crochet thread, single strand, purchased from Jo-Ann's online. It's coming out well. Once I'm done I'll post a pic online.

FYI - it took 4 spools all-together.

I also changed the handle a bit. I made it only 5 sc wide. Once it was sewn on, I attached thread near the base of the handle and sc around the inside of the handle and top of bag, then slip stitched in each sc around (on each side, 2 circles). It makes a very firm smooth edge.

Keep up the good work. You make great stuff!

Hi, Mimi:

I'm just finishing up one very similar to yours (you inspired me) but used J&P Coats nylon crochet thread, single strand, purchased from Jo-Ann's online. It's coming out well. Once I'm done I'll post a pic online...

Thank you all so much for your wonderful comments! I'm so happy to know I've inspired some of you to come up with your own "sak" inspired bags. Would also love to see your bags :manyheart

As for coming up with a bag pattern, I dont have a plan yet, as of now I'm designing a few pieces of clothing and it would probably take me quite a while to finish my assigned work :hook

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Hi! I would like to show some of the bags I made, only one come from a pattern magazine. The brown one was from BHG Creative Crochet Premier Issue. I made it without a flap and used 3 strands of Cannon cotton thread size 8. the others are all just figured out as I crocheted, inspired by the photos and dimensions of the "the sak" mini backpacks such as this. Thanks for looking!:hookEdited to add: You may want to look at #40 post for additional notes on this. Thanks!

34525005_261f614641.jpg

34525007_62c2c14294.jpg

What is the issue date of the magazine?

These are fabulous! After reading through this thread, I've realized I'm not the only one out there obsessed with trying to make my own "sac" bags. Just like "Happy Hooker" every time I see one in a store I have to examine it.

I have made a purse using the JP & Coats Nylon Thread & it worked out pretty well. The only problem I had was that the more I used it, the more it stretched out.

Has anyone else had a problem with purses & bags stretching out of shape? Or any ideas on how to keep it from happening? The only pieces I don't have that problem with is with my felted bags.

Thanks again for posting your pics of your beautiful bags!

Hi, thanks all for your comments on the bags! :D

...I have made a purse using the JP & Coats Nylon Thread & it worked out pretty well. The only problem I had was that the more I used it, the more it stretched out.

Has anyone else had a problem with purses & bags stretching out of shape? Or any ideas on how to keep it from happening? The only pieces I don't have that problem with is with my felted bags...

Did you sew a lining on your bag? I didnt have any problem of the bag getting out of shape with a lining...:hook

:cheer... Great for teenagers! ...Grammy2twins

I was going to say that too ;) I would have given those to my 3 nieces, but I'm not sure they'd like it. I guess they'd prefer the bigger backpacks that could also be used for school stuff.

L-A

Don't tell me this!!! That is the thread I am using right now for mine!!! :) It actually is turing out ok sofar...What stitch did you use... sc or dc??? Also, what size hook??? I am using a "0" like the LaEspiga thread fom Hobby Lobby calls for... It is a hair thicker than the JP coats nylon... (19 vs 18)

I actually tried using the La Espiga thread as well... came out great too...

I actually think I like the La Espiga more because I feel it splits a little less... maybe that has a lot to do with the hook I am using and how tight the stitches are (VERY)

Hi everyone! I'm afraid to say that I did not think about putting a lining in my bag... I've just finished my 2nd attempt with using the Crochet Nylon, and before I give it to my friend for her birthday, I will give the lining a try (I'm not much at sewing, but I'll give it a shot! ;)

Happy Hooker, I used a combo of sc, hdc & dc with a f/5 (3.75mm) bamboo hook. I made the stitches as tight as I could, considering it was going to be a purse; I didn't want any holes where things inside the purse could poke through! I hope your bag fares better than my 1st attempt :)

By the way... I really envy all of you who have Hobby Lobby stores nearby. From what I hear, they have a great selection of yarn. I had to look high & low before finally finding the J & P Coats nylon on a dusty bottom shelf of an out-of-town WalMart!

Archived