Who makes the best steel hooks

jimbo

I've not been impressed with the quality of thread hooks, at least the one's I've been able to examine. The finish is typically rough, especially in the throat area and I wonder that they can work well at all with such rough textures (both Boye and Bates styles). So I'm thinking there must be some better quality steel thread hooks out there somewhere?

I buy vintage steel hooks whenever I have the opportunity. I too am not impressed with the hooks currently on the market. They changed where they were making them several years back and the quality just isn't there. I have several sets of vintage Boye hooks that I treasure and it really hurts when I lose one like I did yesterday. I left my crocheting in the restaurant and it wasn't there when I went back for it a few hours later. Someone else now owns my doily and a size 7 boye hook.

Good luck on your search of good quality Hooks

I have two Boye Mastersets and have to agree -- my old ones are definately smoother and free from some of the little burrs that I found on the new set. Now, the old ones have gotten a LOT of use, so in all fairness, that may have polished them up a bit. :) Still, even the new ones seem to work fine. I haven't had any problem with them snagging but then I rarely use thread anymore (too hard on arthritis). I mostly just use the alum. hooks with yarn. I do like the Boye hooks. The sizes are consistent and they are sturdy. I have actually had an alum. hook in another brand bend on me. Just slightly but enough that I did not want to use it.

Jimbo -- if you are looking for quality that is comparable with the care you put into your product, you will probably not find it in the mass-produced hooks on the market. Your hooks have a fantastic reputation for being not only a work of art, but also top quality!

I have all my Grandmothers steel hooks and they didn't pass the test of time. I was ROAKed a Bates Steelite set and they're amazing. They're nice and smooth and I love the Bates heads.

Sorry to hear about your loss, Kathy. it looks like a really nice steal hook is rare. Maybe there's an opportunity for someone with a forge and a eye for quality.

I'll see if I can take a look at the Steelites. Thanks Rose!

Aw, thanks for the kind words, DebraKay!

Kathy, that's a bummer, to lose not only a WIP but a favorite hook!

Jimbo, take a look at Addi steel hooks http://www.skacelknitting.com/s.nl;jsessionid=0a0104451f43916e43aa53794f4fb606b09fc982cdfb.e3eSbNmQaheLe3qKb40?sc=2&category=8681

these have a gold tip and do not have the plastic handle.

I treasure my vintage (from my own teenage years, lol) steel hooks---a Boye size 7 w/ the price 10 cents* stamped on it is my absolute favorite. I bought a bunch of old hooks at an estate auction and luckily there was another "10-center" in the bunch. so now I have 2 of those, but I wanted something replaceable so I don't have to worry about losing my faves. I found that the Addi is just as good:c9 as the vintage hooks. I have 2 now, the 1.5 and 1.75 mm. They are very true to mm size and have a very nice finish. My main complaint about the new Bates and Boye steels is that the sizes are all over the place.

*and speaking of vintage, what the bleep:angry happened to the cents symbol? I refuse to type $.10!

I toadally agree about the cents sign. You're right! And I don't have a source around here for the Skacel lines of hooks but looked on the net and they do look pretty smooth.. but they don't seem to make the larger sizes (1 -5). Still I'll keep an eye out. it just seems a shame to make a really nice wood handle for a low quality steel hook.

Tulip seems to have all the sizes covered http://www.tulip-japan.co.jp/kyoutsu(englis)/syugei/lace.html

the numbering system is different than US sizes, but you can always just use the mm sizing. i haven't tried Tulip but I'd bet the quality is good.

I recently inherited my Mom's hooks and a few yrs back my Mother in Laws... I definately like those best. Maybe if I sent one of those to Jimbo he could make a wood handle for one of them???

I love my Boye hooks, some bought through the years, some inherited. I also have some stamped Milward and made in England. I use those two all the time for my thread. However, one day I would like a handle of some sort since the end of the hook bothers my hand occasionally. I'm watching the auctions on the "Jimbo" hooks and may jump in the next time.

The old ones are definitely the smoothest and best. I buy all my hooks att flea markets and yard sales.

But I started thinking about all the threads and yarns passing over the surface over the years. Maybe that's why they're so smooth.

I too agree about vintage hooks. I am so thankful that my husband found my missing boye hook, crocheting just wasn't the same without it.

I hope to find more vintage boye hooks for yarn someday so that I have some good spare ones to use.

Archived