What are yall doing for x-mas?

I was just wondering..... What do yall make for x-mas? This is the first x-mas that I have been crocheting and I would like to make some x-mas gifts but I dont really know what to make. I would like to have started earlier but have been busy crocheting for a new baby. I would like to make some nice things for MIL and step mom and also some simple stuff for cousins, aunts and uncles and such. What are some simple ideas for men?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wanna know what I'm doing for Xmas???????? Really???? Well, I'll tell ya, honestly......RUNNING OUT OF TIME!!!! Now ya know!! :rofl

Last year I made scarfs for everyone 45 of them. and Hats for a few and headbands for the girls. Then everyone in the immediate family received the 5 hour afghans.

This year - imeediate family is getting stockings. Families are recieving placemats, candles, etc. Some of the guys are getting knitt hats, and girls are getting socks.

Scarves and hats ... I made some Q hook throws for gifts for people last year and one of them worked up really quickly, I finished it in 15 hours, including fringe and trimming, which isn't bad for someone who's only been crocheting a couple of months!

Dot's ditty bag, in sex appropriate colors, can work for younger kids and teen girls; scrunchies; if you're into thread bookmarks would be nice too. I have a harder time coming up with stuff for guys.

Two years ago I made my mom some potholdes, which she knew she was getting, and a whole assortment of dishcloths also went into her package (we're not able to be together at the holidays due to my job). Anyway, last year I said something to her about 'crocheting a dishcloth' for someone and she said 'oh, I didn't know you could do that'. Which lead to um...'Mom, I sent you a whole pile last year'. :think She thought they were skimpy, too thin potholders! :eek I was in tears :cry that she thought I did such poor work and she just was too polite to say anything. Once I explained what they were, she happily started using them.

Kathy

Last year, I made a blanket for my mother and niece, a sweater for another niece and a scarf and hat for my mother in law. I got off to a late start. This year, I have no clue what to make for anyone, and there's only like 140 days left until Christmas. And I'm working on a halter and hat for my niece, finishing one for my daughter, I bought the yarn for a winter set for my newborn and I just bought some Cottontots on sale for $1 to make some washcloths for me. I ought to get organized for Christmas!

Noooo, don't talk about Christmas yet!!! :lol I'm still thinking about Halloween and costumes for my kids. I think I should get started SOON too.

Seriously, I'm thinking about making scarves for those that live near here--in other words, we have a winter season. For those in the warmer winter areas, I'm thinking of making purses/bags out of nylon cording.

I am making scarves and hats for people (I think I only have 8 sets to make) and then two blankets for those you already got their hats and scarves last year. That reminds me I have to go get some yarn...

Amanda:hook

Son wants an afghan...not just ANY afghan but a large version of one I made him as a child. So I spent heaven knows how much money on eBay but finally found the issue of Crochet World I needed. Now to figure out how many extra squares it will need to fit him. AND he wants a small one for his baby on the way. But they think it's a girl, so I will change the color of some of the trucks to pink and purple!

Kathy

Not to mention the yellow afghan, the onsie, etc etc etc I need to make for her debut in November.

Well--

I will be making my mother and sister fancy scarves. I found a great velevet yarn on clearance in two very approporiate colors for them. They will be decorative more than warm. Last year I made warm scarves for the sis-in-law and mom-in-law. I think they'd have been smarter to wait because I'm much better now. My nephew is the only child in the family I have not made something for yet and he is getting a warm scarf in the New Orleans Saints colors.

I'm trying to spread out blankets. Make it a suprise. Theres no way I could get one done for the whole immediate family before any christmas-even one 5 years away! I do blankets when the spirit moves me. That way they're also more individualized.

I make a blanket or two every Christmas, and I know which relatives' turn it is this year, but boy it's hard to work on blankets in this weather! I usually start the blankets in October or thereabouts.

What I do now is smaller stuff like scarves, hats, mittens, tree ornaments, slippers, placemats, etc., so I don't melt under a mountain of yarn in August.

Oh in addition to the kitchen stuff - I found a really neet table angle (or angle tree topper) that I'm going to make for the angle collectors in my family. The boys also want Nascar Pillows (but I already told them that I won't do those until we actually have a family room - right now the family room will be the garage :( ).

I normally start my xmas presents around this time of year. I have a bunch of birthdays in there as well (one person wants a doily - so thats easy and already started :) )

I'm also going to attempt ghosts for everyone for halloween and turkeys (with lollypops for tail feathers) for thanksgiving.

Of course I feel like the cobblers children (I don't think I have anything that I made for me)

Son wants an afghan...not just ANY afghan but a large version of one I made him as a child. So I spent heaven knows how much money on eBay but finally found the issue of Crochet World I needed. Now to figure out how many extra squares it will need to fit him. AND he wants a small one for his baby on the way. But they think it's a girl, so I will change the color of some of the trucks to pink and purple!

Kathy

Not to mention the yellow afghan, the onsie, etc etc etc I need to make for her debut in November.

No kidding?! I have a friend in Texas who is due in November! I'm making her a baby blanket. :hook

WOW, yall really have it togeather!! Does that 5 hour afghan really work up in 5 hours? What kind of yarn did you use? And I know this is a little off subject but what are you makeing for halloween costumes? I have never thaught of that!!!

Yes the 5 hour afghan really does work up in 5 hours. It on the lionbrand website. I made one as a wedding present - and well it took off from there. Of course I have "picky" guys in my family (son and BF) who wanted theirs bigger or with the fringe going all the way around. They are done on a P or Q hook with 3 strands of yarn. I have a picture of one I made - just not sure how to post it here.

DID you use lionbrand yarn, I have seen the pattern before but was a little sceptical, as I am not an experienced crocheter. It would be neet to make them for the maried couples in his and her colors.

Nope - I used RH :D because each ghan takes about 6 skeins (when they were 8 oz skeins:angry )

I did each one in the living room colors of the ladies (aunts, grandmas) and the boys picked their colors (they knew they were getting them but couldn't get them until xmas)

The others I used girly colors and made one in camo for my BFs nephew.

I'll be making lots of dishcloths for my sister and Grandmother. I made a few for them last year, and they loved them. I'm also making crochet Care Bears for my girls, and probably some socks and other things. And, my dad asked for a knit tie. I've got a lot to do!

Well, I have my to-do list made, ordered the yarn I wll need that I didn't all ready have. Haven't picked up a hook yet:) My dtr is getting a hooded scarf & other relatives in cold climates will get scarves & caps. Usually isn't cold enough here for those, so am thinking about buying some woven placemats & crochet edgings for them out of an old book of Grandma's. If it ever cools off enough, I have 2 afghans in the works I'd like to finish for my brother's & their wives. Oh, my, better go get started!

Alosha

Last year i made everyone scarves at least 30 of em some crochet most knit ... I had just learned how to crochet.

This year I'm making some afghan's some purses skirts ponchos book marks... but I'm only making stuff for the girls presents will be purchased for the boys ... I just dont have enough time

Done: scarves for mom, sis # 1, bil, niece

Almost done: lapghan for sis # 1 and bil (just needs edging); bookmark for sis # 1 (her birthday is just a few days before Christmas, so that may be a b/day gift instead)

Planned: scrunchies for sis # 2, niece; Marlo's gorgeous totes for sisters (yarn is half died for each); placemats for mom (yarn already purchased); scarf for sis # 2

Help: What do you make for a 15-year-old nephew? Or buy, for that matter?

I'd love to squeeze in time to make a lapghan for sis # 2's birthday in October. I bought the yarn for it last month (straw boucle) but am still searching for the right pattern.

Patty

Aside from the already planned Cabbage Patch Doll clothes (am giving them the dolls as well) I'll probably make some lap'ghans and more fun fur knit scarves for some family. The rest of the gifts are all being purchased the day before Christmas when I arrive back in the US with not enough gifts! :lol Happens every year....I used to do ALL of my Christmas shopping the day after Thanksgiving....I now do it ALL the day before Christmas!

Since last Christmas my MIL was still taking care of my recoup, I have already started on hers. The Spider Squares are all done .. now I have to block them then put them together for her lap ghan. Most likely it will sit on the edge of her bed and not move, but I wanted to do something BIG for her since she was w/ me throughout my heart surgery and recoup.

I'm working on a boo koo of hats then scarves / shawls for my Mom to choose from when she comes down to visit, and a crocheted hat and scarf for my Dad. As for anyone else.. let's see if I feel like really sharing w/ them. I think by Christmas 2006 I'll be a much better crocheter and will want to share more w/ them. As for my hubby, well he loves that I enjoy crocheting, but most likely will not wear anything (as of yet lol ) . And our daughter has choice of what I make now.

Archived