Our House [Archive 4]

Skysmom

Ok I need help... I cannot use the burgandy and cream... it is too heavy and bothers my hands to work with it... I've been going through my yarn... I have a lot of red and a lot of white.... several 8 oz skeins of blue (country ,navy, medium).... 2 10oz skeins of jet stream which is a blue purple dark varigated,... 1 pounder in light lavendar... lots of 8 oz skeins in pinks, yellow, greens I don't know what to do... I was thinking of doing it in red and white and navy blue... do you think that would look alright ?

I'm not sure which pattern you're going to be using, but I think red white and navy would work well.

Dusti, you're afghans are so pretty!

I haven't made it here in the last couple of days. My full time job started up work at home, which is great, I get a little bit more sleep. But anything that's got a lot of pictures or movement takes ages to load. So no visiting while working at home, I'm too impatient to wait for the pages to load :lol

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shelly the amish in red, white and blue would look fabulous.

Dusti wow you have done heaps on the ducky and I love your gingham, very pretty pink colors.

Joyce nice idea for the baby set for the shower, she will love it.

Mary yep Im sure there is going to be lots of saltines made over the next 2 weeks. :lol Im glad your DD is having a great time in Germany, is she going to bring you back some yarn souvenirs.

Hi Tracy :hi

Red, White and Navy is such a classic combination, I do not see how you could go wrong. Refresh my mind, what project are you starting? It must be for the Games, right? Too bad your original burgundy and cream will not work, but I think you have a good back-up plan.

Shelly ~ I hope I'm remembering right...you're going to make the Amish? I think it would be great in red, white, and blue! It lends itself to just about any color comination. :yes

Dusti~You are braver than I am. :lol I started to make one of Cara's patterns in sport weight because of the colors I saw...then quickly went back to WW yarn. :hook I love how soft and cuddly your gingham looks. :c9

Val, that's great that you're now able to work from home! You can work in your jammies if you want to. :D

Shelly the amish in red, white and blue would look fabulous.

Ah, you have a much better memory than I did. You're right. Red, white and blue will be good choices for the Amish design.

Hi, Wendy :flower

Everyone is just coming out of the woodwork, now. Nice to catch you all at the keyboard!

Gee, we were all typing and posting at the same time. :lol

Hi Wendy ~ DD is actually staying in Nuremburg. Her company is buying a company near there and she is the "product mgr" for one of their new products. She probably isn't shopping much, but I'll ask her if there are any yarn stores there. :yes

I haven't made it here in the last couple of days. My full time job started up work at home, which is great, I get a little bit more sleep. But anything that's got a lot of pictures or movement takes ages to load. So no visiting while working at home, I'm too impatient to wait for the pages to load :lol

Oooh, hope you like working from home. Seems ideal to me. Like Mary said, comfy work attire is always a bonus. Glad to see you this afternoon.

Mary -- it was not a brave choice, but rather craziness :rofl I did not know any better than to use the Baby Soft. I do now!! :lol

Dusti - Your ghans look fabulous!! :clap Yes, we always love photos :D

Shelly - The Amish will look great in red, white and blue! :yes

Mary - Oh yes, you must get DD to purchase some yarn for you. :yes

Here is where my ATW is at now:

th_HPIM1131.jpg

The blue on the sides is as wide as I'm going and on the top and bottom I'll have one black after the purples and then two royal blue. I'll finish with a round in sc or rsc or rhdc :D

I am also thinking of doing some of the gingham blankets - one in the three blues, one in the three purples... Oh Cara what have you done to me :P

We are off to a concert inthe park and I plan to do some more black saltines (or royal blue)

Hello everyone!

Just getting caught up on all the posts for the day!

The pics are great and I love the pink gingham. I've got the gingham on my WIM list (like every other quilt on Cara's site! :lol) Someday.

And for those of you working from home, I'm quite jealous! :yesI have plans of doing daycare from home next spring so that dd Lennon can be home with me. I think my mom will be helping too when we all get back to Phoenix.

I will be roaming in and out tonight while working on some saltines and my taxes :blush(for 2006!!!! :eek SSSHHH don't tell!)

Thanks, Mary. I used Lion Brand Baby Soft, and did not think about the gauge too much. It was not until I was finished, that I went back to read the pattern and realized that my squares were supposed to be 2-1/2-inches. Hmmmm :think I used an H hook, and my saltines are about 1-1/4 inches square. Oh well. Babies are small, right? :rofl The blanket is definitely large enough to keep an infant cozy in the car seat or stroller, but it is not too good for putting down on the floor for tummy time. The next one will be larger! I am using a K hook, and my squares are almost 2-1/2 inches each. I must pull the yarn waaaaay too tight as I crochet... :ideaNote to self: pay attention to gauge in the future.

Try 2 strands of yarn with the K hook....:hook

Dusti - the gingham is gorgeous!

Karen, I love the vivid colors you're using in the ATW!

WTG, ladies!!:cheer:clap:cheer:clap

Shelly ~ I hope I'm remembering right...you're going to make the Amish? I think it would be great in red, white, and blue! It lends itself to just about any color comination. :yes

Dusti~You are braver than I am. :lol I started to make one of Cara's patterns in sport weight because of the colors I saw...then quickly went back to WW yarn. :hook I love how soft and cuddly your gingham looks. :c9

Val, that's great that you're now able to work from home! You can work in your jammies if you want to. :D

Oooh, hope you like working from home. Seems ideal to me. Like Mary said, comfy work attire is always a bonus. Glad to see you this afternoon.

Mary -- it was not a brave choice, but rather craziness :rofl I did not know any better than to use the Baby Soft. I do now!! :lol

I'm home M-W, which is our business casual days. I only live 4 miles from work, so it's not that big of a deal with gas. I'll probably see my electric bill go up though since my AC is a bit lower and the tv is on. But yeah, I've been wearing boxers and tee shirts because they're so comfortable! And between us, I did 2 heart squares today (the single heart I tested for Smoothfox)! They were done while waiting on searches to be done. So that's another reason why I haven't been on here during the day. Before, I'd go here while waiting on my stuff, now I :crocheting:lol

You may be sorry you encouraged me, but here are my photos.

th_JustDuckyQuilt-ghanhalf-way.jpg

th_07-18Close-upPinkGingham.jpg

th_07-18PinkGinghamQuilt-ghan.jpg

Photo Bucket worked like a charm for me this afternoon, and I am anxious to see if the pics post well.

Ooh, good luck finishing the baby layette. My SIL received the cutest crocheted mary janes when her daughter was born last year, but I did not get a chance to look at them close enough, to see if I could figure out how to do them, myself. Your presents are going to be so welcoming for the new babe.

Painting is finished, and I want to take my yarn out to the deck to make a few more saltines before dinner-time. It's been unusually quiet here, today. Hope everyone is having a good one! :hook

Both your ghans look great! Nice work. Thanks for the well wishes on getting my layette done. I finished the blanket this morning before work, now on to the other components.

Joyce

Karen, I love your ATW.

I'm thinking of doing one of these for Sissie's seniors during the games. I have colors picked out that were going to be an RR, but now wonder if I should do one of these. Must go the HHY site to see what might work with colors I"ve picked

Joyce

th_HPIM1131.jpg

The blue on the sides is as wide as I'm going and on the top and bottom I'll have one black after the purples and then two royal blue. I'll finish with a round in sc or rsc or rhdc :D

I am also thinking of doing some of the gingham blankets - one in the three blues, one in the three purples... Oh Cara what have you done to me :P

Karen that is absolutely gorgeous! :drool And I've given you a lifelong stable of WIPs :lol :lol

And between us, I did 2 heart squares today (the single heart I tested for Smoothfox)! They were done while waiting on searches to be done.

Your secret is safe with us :devil

Karen, I love your ATW.

I'm thinking of doing one of these for Sissie's seniors during the games. I have colors picked out that were going to be an RR, but now wonder if I should do one of these. Must go the HHY site to see what might work with colors I"ve picked

I'm thinking if I actually finish my Games ghan early I might do something for Sissie :yes

Ladies, the ghans are lovely! Great work!

Mary, 64 more solids for me, please.:hook The numbers will slow down greatly in a short while...will be sewing them together. Decided on this one to wait until I had all the squares done before attaching any. There is a reason for this, though. I bought one too few skeins of the red and that is also the main color I will be using to attach. Since the next skein probably will not be the same dye lot, I thought it best to wait and get as many saltines as possible out of the matched lot in case the next one was very different. I think I'm going to be about 8-10 short as it is. Will know for sure in a day or two. And I'll be going back to HL Friday or Saturday to get more yarn. Of course, I know I'll come out of there with more than the 1 skein of red! :lol After all, it is a 45 mile drive each way and have to make the trip worthwhile! :yes

Ladies, the ghans are lovely! Great work!

Mary, 64 more solids for me, please.:hook The numbers will slow down greatly in a short while...will be sewing them together. Decided on this one to wait until I had all the squares done before attaching any. There is a reason for this, though. I bought one too few skeins of the red and that is also the main color I will be using to attach. Since the next skein probably will not be the same dye lot, I thought it best to wait and get as many saltines as possible out of the matched lot in case the next one was very different. I think I'm going to be about 8-10 short as it is. Will know for sure in a day or two. And I'll be going back to HL Friday or Saturday to get more yarn. Of course, I know I'll come out of there with more than the 1 skein of red! :lol After all, it is a 45 mile drive each way and have to make the trip worthwhile! :yes

If you do end up short and can't get the same dye lot, may I suggest that you spread the saltines in the different lot out amongst the quilt. That way they aren't as noticeable. Shouldn't be an real issue to do that since you're joining at the end :yes

th_HPIM1131.jpg

We are off to a concert inthe park and I plan to do some more black saltines (or royal blue)

That is just gorgeous. :clap have fun at the concert.

OK, I have a question. I've spent some time perusing the patterns at HYH and wondered, if I do Love Letters, but just do a quilt of two heart blocks by two heart blocks, would that be big enough to be a lapghan? I know some of that depends on my guage, etc., but if I do 2 1/2" saltines and there are 12 across and 12 down, my math tells me that would be a decent sized lapghan but, I suck at math.)?

Joyce

Archived