Our House [Archive 4]

Skysmom

Good day ladies :flower

Cathy - Will we see photos of the flag soon? :D

I am charging the batteries for my camera.... will take some this afternoon... I have 8 or 9 strips done. but not sewn together to make it solid.... I like it!!!!!

Cathy

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ladies. :)

Karen ~ Wow! You've really been busy. 50 more added. :D

Donna ~ 11 solid squares added!

Cathy ~ Can't wait for pictures. :cheer

I've been up since 5 and have been super busy. Not sure where all this energy is coming from, but better take advantage of it while it's here. :lol

I am making a normal granny to start. Then on the second (and subsequent) square the first row is just the normal ch 3 2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc, ch 2 3 dc ch 2 3 dc ch 2 join w sl st to the beg ch 3 for the second row I turn sl st into the first chain 2, ch 3 2 dc ch 2 3 dc (in the same space), ch 1 3 dc in next ch space. then sc in a corner space of the square I want to join to 3 dc in same space of the square I am making, sc in the next ch 1 space on the square I am joining to, 3 dc on the sqare I am making. then finish the square I am making. I am joining them diagonally so I am joining two sides at a time.

I can post a picture after work cuz I know those instructions are horrid.

Hi Kidget,

I tried this last night. I like the fact that it goes faster, BUT, the connections between the saltines seem to be "holey." Meaning, a saltine only touches another saltine at it's corners and middle chain-1 space. Is that how it's supposed to be with the JoinAsYouGo method? Or am I misreading your instructions above?

Alaina

I am charging the batteries for my camera.... will take some this afternoon... I have 8 or 9 strips done. but not sewn together to make it solid.... I like it!!!!!

Cathy

:woo:clap

I've been up since 5 and have been super busy. Not sure where all this energy is coming from, but better take advantage of it while it's here. :lol

Well, if you do find out where the energy is coming from be sure to let the rest of us know where we can get some :lol :lol

For those of you that use the joining method in post #18 (the horizontal then vertical method) I assume you are using one color to join all the saltines. In my case, I guess I would use the neutral color, cream. How does this look? Do you use sc or ss? Do you crochet in only the back loops or both? Or mabe you whipstitch?

For those of you that use another method? Why or why not? ...and if not, what is it?

Just wondering because I have about 200 saltines done, solids and bis; my initial thought was to join all he squares to make one block first and continue from there. I really like the idea of joining them row by row and having less ends to weave, but not sure how this will look with a different color between the squares.

I suppose I can do a trial and error but thought I'd come to you guys for my first official question. Sorry if this is covered somewhere else already.

Mary 30 solids for me please :)

Hi Denise! Added. :hook

Marian ~ I've always used Cara's pattern instructions...whipstitch in back loops only with right sides together. Sorry, not much help on other methods, but I'll bet someone will be here with more info. :)

Marian... I usually join my squares with a whip stitch (using a smaller hook instead of a needle).. I use a color that is one of the squares I'm joining... a lot of us leave a long tail on our squares and use the tails to join the squares.... I usually break my project down into blocks and do a block at a time... I put my squares right sides together and join through the back loops only ...

Marian, my joining method for all squares is to leave a long tail from the last row and join them, wrong sides together, using a blunt needle...

...but as Cara would likely tell you: whatever works for you is the best method. If you're happy with the results, keep on doing it that way.

th_100_0306.jpg

this is like row 7 I have 8 & 9 done just haven't sewn them yet...

I will border it with gold

I had to lighten up the pic... its cherry red white and navy blue RHSS

WOw!:clap

I am taking that wow as a good thing?????

I dont want to hurt anybody's feelings.... I dont even know why I said that

cathy

Look at the clapping hands smilie;)

It really does look awesome....and I speak "shorthand" a lot of the time:lol

th_100_0306.jpg

this is like row 7 I have 8 & 9 done just haven't sewn them yet...

I will border it with gold

I had to lighten up the pic... its cherry red white and navy blue RHSS

Oh yes that's coming out very well so far :clap

...a lot of us leave a long tail on our squares and use the tails to join the squares.... I usually break my project down into blocks and do a block at a time...

I knew I should've asked this before I started. Before I cut the yarn on my first saltine, I contemplated leaving the tail extra long, to use for sewing purposes later.

Well, I'm making this afghan for my mother for Christmas... she's not as picky as me. I dont think she'll care how I join it... live and learn I guess.

I suppose it'll be reversible this way :shrug

PS - the Rebel Flag 'ghan looks awesome. Great job!

I havent done any saltines for a few weeks. :eek what is wrong with me. I need to get back on the saltinewagon again. :yes

Probably the same thing that's wrong with me - surprise other projects :lol I'm still working on the baby afghan mom decided she wanted to give as a baby gift, the one she gave me roughly 2 weeks notice on :rolleyes

I got 17 saltines done last night. Not sure how much I do today since I went ahead and got the train out. I need to at least finish the last train car. But I'm thinking I'd like to do that and hopefully get a good start on the accessories too.

Good Morning/Evening Ladies. :)

Hi Wendy~YES! You must start another little square project. :D My scorekeeping job has slowed down lately. :lol

Donna, 17 added for you. That train is adorable and you're so close to finishing. :cheer

Oh Val, two weeks notice. :eek I don't think I can crochet that fast anymore. :hook

I'm reporting 20 solid squares. :)

Archived