Our House [Archive 3]

busy-bee-lmt

Valerie wow great start, how can you do them so fast.:clap

The saltines are all I'm working on. I'm crocheting one skein of each color. I've finished 1 skein each of country blue 57 squares, hot rose 57 squares and buttercup 52 squares. I'm currently working on the light sage and I've already done about 10 of that color but I won't count them until tomorrow since I've already turned in a count today.

I'm also doing the squares the Cara's pattern calls for. It's different from the way I've always done my large squares. They're just so easy. I'm going to time myself to see how many I make in an hour.

Once I finish this last skein, I start stitching the ghan together, then I'll do another skein of country blue, hot rose and sage. I only have to make 9 more buttercup squares because I only need 66.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm a bit confused. Are these called afghan quilts because of the way they're pieced? Theyre not actually quilted with a backing, and batting, are they?

No, they're not quilts with backing and batting. They are afghan quilts because they're made up of crocheted saltine squares whipped stitched together and trimmed with a border.

I'm a bit confused. Are these called afghan quilts because of the way they're pieced? Theyre not actually quilted with a backing, and batting, are they?

Like Valerie said, they're called afghan quilts or quiltghans because the are made up of squares (in solid or multiple colors) that are stitched together to form patterns like those found in quilts. They aren't usually backed although I think that a few people have done that. Cara has lots of lovely patterns for them at her Happy Yellow House site. http://www.happyyellowhouse.com And some of us have made up our own patterns and/or modified patterns from other sources (cross stitch patterns, quilt patterns, etc.).

Wendy, yes they are. I have the early shift tomorrow so I'll have to say:night. I don't want to put them down but I must. I've :crocheting 32 squares in the light sage. I'll report these to K on tomorrow. I did 13 in one hour but I had a couple of interruptions.

Have a great first day back at work and just remember, there's someone out there that wish they had a job to go to. Your projects will get completed in due time. One day at a time.

Talk to you after work tomorrow.

Judy, making saltines is so calming dont you think. You can just sit there in front of the tv or if your out and do them really without thinking.

:yes

Now I want to join the small batch I have and see what it looks like - and if I made the tails too long. Don't want to waste yarn, you know!

C U later...off to feed the pups....:hug

Krystal - Don't tempt me on the dragonfly. :lol I really like it but I've got so much to do now I don't have the room :lol

Actually, I meant to DESIGN a saltine quilt with a dragonfly. It's a lot easier to design one than actually MAKE one! (A little less time)

K - I have done 81 solid squares today!

Got it

K - I did 10 more squares tonight!

:thinkare you checking here?? Or the Sky CAL...??

I'll go pop over there and check....:hook

'nite all:hug

Here and got it!

K - 55 solids for me tonight.

OK

Happy Monday everyone. :) It's cloudy, very windy and warm today...almost feels like Spring.

Wendy, I hope your first day back at work has gone well.

Krystal ~ Your firefighter afghan is incredible! You are one talented lady. :yes

Hi to everyone else, too. Have a great day. :manyheart

Wow!! Wendy & Valerie, you guys are just flying through those squares.

I have the squares for 3 of the next five blocks crocheted for the LotL. And a lot of the ones for the next two as well. But I had done most of those a while ago, so just have to fill in with the bi-colored ones that are missing. I may actually get this thing done by the end of February.:lol

Can't wait to see your pictures, Cara & Heather! You gals rock!! :yay:clap:yay

I have to go see the kidney doctor this morning for my 6 month check up. Then Kim & I will get lunch out. Catch you all later.

Good morning ladies :flower

Heather - Great job on finishing your ghan! :clap

Linda - Good luck at the doctor :hug

Val - Have a great day!

Wendy - Hope you have a stress free first day back. We'll miss you :hug

Krystal - Well, sometimes it's less time designing them :lol

Good morning Mary & Judy :hug

Gotta go try again to get BD up. He was awful sick with sinus and/or allergies yesterday and he sounds worse today. :( Poor fellow doesn't get sick often but when he does he does a thorough job of it :lol

Hi, Cara....I love seeing the blocks come together with these saltines...:c9

Hope BD feels better soon...is he a baby when he's sick? Phil is... shhh...don't tell him I snitched on the retired SWAT commander:lol

Judy - No, he's obnoxious when he's sick :lol Won't rest. Won't take medicine. Makes me wanna smack him :lol

Okay, here it is....the photo of the completed Love Letters with 6 blocks instead of the originally planned 12. It would've been a carpet at that size :lol

ll.jpg

That is a king size bed it's laying on! It's huge! Need to measure it I guess, huh?

Oh and the BB that I made for my BIL too. Did 4x5 blocks instead of the lapghan 4x4......and just two colors for Texas A&M....I'm surrounded by Aggies! :lol

brian.jpg

Archived