Our House [Archive 1]

idagammy

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So my questions are these:

Can I use the ends to stitch the squares together? Or do you think that longer pieces of yarn will give the ghan more duribility (its for a baby afterall) also, if using a longer piece of yarn, what color do you choose? as its going to be going between the two colors (pink and yellow in my case) and lastly, is there a general consensus as to how to put them together as far as looks, I SC some grannies together a few months ago and didnt' like the ridge this created. Any suggestions?

First, we usually join the squares by whipstitching them together (fronts facing each other, through the back loops only, though some do it in both)

I would join them with a the lightest piece of yarn - between the pink and yellow my personal choice would be the yellow if it's a light pastel tone. I feel it's more secure than using the tail of the square to join them together.

How are you edging the blanket? With what color - or are you using both?

Have you seen Cara's baby gingham pattern? Is that your pattern? The link to her page is on page one here...it comes out really nice. I'm working on one with 2 shades of pink and white.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Hello!

I have been lurking around here for a while, mostly because I think cara's patters are absolutly wonderful! I'm still a little scared to try as many squares as one of her quiltghans requires, but I was hoping you all could lend me some advice.

My sister is having a baby, and the blanket my mom wants me to make for her (well one of the many) is made up of 2.5 inch squares. I figured out the squares last night, but since they are bi- colored there are a ton of ends, also i'm a little intimidated by having to put them all together and keep it looking nice.

So my questions are these:

Can I use the ends to stitch the squares together? Or do you think that longer pieces of yarn will give the ghan more duribility (its for a baby afterall) also, if using a longer piece of yarn, what color do you choose? as its going to be going between the two colors (pink and yellow in my case) and lastly, is there a general consensus as to how to put them together as far as looks, I SC some grannies together a few months ago and didnt' like the ridge this created. Any suggestions?

I really appreciate your answers and any advice you have!

thanks so much,

Jessica

Hi Jessica! I think we all do things a little differently, but I'll try to help and am sure you'll get more help from others. I finish off each square and weave in the ends really well. I whipstitch squares and rows together and it leaves no ridge. (Squares are right sides together and whipstitched in the back loop only.) There are tutorials on this; I think you can Google "whipstitching granny squares"... I'm sorry I don't know the links. As far as joining colors, with pink and yellow it shouldn't make a difference. If I'm joining a dark color and light color, I use the dark, but it's personal preference.

Hope this helps a little...I'm sure more will come on with help and ideas. Good Luck!

I do love the baby one on Cara's page and will have to give that a try, this one is from a little book and its called dreamy wrap... or something like that, its a pattern my mom picked up. I just thought since the idea is similar I might get some useful tips from you, since you must have lots of little square experience!

I think I will I give the baby gingham a try if I like the way thing one comes out. These little squares are really new to me.

I have no idea how I will edge it. the pattern calls for a very plain DC around it with the yellow (well in the pattern its what, but the lighter of the two colors.) but I thought maybe I'd try something a little fancier when I got to that point.

Jessica ~ It sounds darling! I know all the squares sound a little scary, but once you get going, you may be addicted to them like we are. :lol I think Cara can make them in her sleep! :D

Good morning ladies :flower

I was a naughty monkey and overslept this morning so I'm still catching up. Have to be ready for my outing in less than an hour :P

Welcome Joanne!! Glad to have you with us :hug

Jessica - Welcome to you as well :hug The little squares just seem intimidating, IMHO. They really work up quick :yes As long as everything is woven in really well ( I use a sharp point darning needle and split threads) you'd be amazed how well they hold up. Hey, if my brother-in-law can't make one fall apart no one can :lol That boy is rough on stuff! Anyway, if you need tips along the way this group of ladies is the most helpful bunch I ever met :manyheart

Wendy - Okay, okay I finally quit bawling and had a Curly Wurly. Mmmmm, Curly Wurly :manyheart Yes, that should be my parcel. I checked the tracking and it was at your post office yesterday. Only took 2 weeks. Sheesh!! Hope it was worth the wait :yes

Well, little Miss Misa and I had a disagreement last night :cat She seems to think that my new pretty is hers the little minx!! I had to wrestle it way from her last night and she was not happy :lol

Have a happy day everyone :manyheart

Hi! Gee, it's a good thing I don't have a deadline. :blush But I do have the first half (7 rows) of my Bus ghan all together! :cheer The next row will start the yellow School Bus.

Hi Amanda! Are you about to finish the Penguin?

Cara, I hope you had a good day out on the town. :)

Amanda- I'm not sure I may just do a round of dc I hadn't really thought about it. :)

Mary- I will show it tomorrow. What I've got done isn't all sewn completely together yet but I'll post it anyway. Your bus cuddle is looking great.

I've only got 8 rows to go and I'm so itching to get it done but had to work on charity stuff today. I hope to finish it by next week at the latest.

Mary your bus ghan looks great. You have done heaps.

Cara Im glad you are enjoying those curly wurlys. I am wrapped with my yarn. Those caron ss brites are beautiful arent they. You guys are so lucky to have yarn like that over there.

Today was my day off and i thoroughly enjoyed myself. Would you believe I got no crocheting done. Im going to do some on my amish tonight.

Good morning ladies :flower

How is everyone this morning? I'm up and raring to go :yes Got myself up two and a half hours early. Don't wanna oversleep again :no Actually feeling pretty energetic. Might make this a habit....NAH! :lol

I got 3 out 4 four blocks finished on my Windwalker this week :yay Also, about half the squares for the fourth block. Think I'm gonna add a border of squares to it like I did the Roundabout for balance. That was such a good idea Rachel had. Hey, where is Rachel anyway? :think

I just found out that my sister is gonna get to be a Grandmother! Waaahhhh! I've been griping for over a year that I wanna be a Grandma and she gets there first :cry And she's saying she's not ready. I'm past ready. Of course, I'd rather my son finished school first though. Don't want them off on the wrong path :no So, I can wait :yes But I get to make tons of goodies as a great-auntie :jumpyay

Have a happy day everyone :manyheart

Morning everyone. :) Thank you for the compliments on the Bus Ghan - it really is a fun pattern to put together!

Julie ~ No, I didn't start it for anyone in particular. With all our friends having grandchildren or DD's friends having kiddos, it will find a home before long!

Cara ~ You've gotten so much done this week - do we get to see pictures? :yes

Wendy ~ So glad you had a great day off. :manyheart

But of course, we get pictures. Just gotta get Big Daddy up and out of the house first :lol Oh and wait for a little sunlight. Nasty looking outside today. A good day to stay in and crochet :hook

Cara that sounds like a great way to spend the day.

Tomorrow morning Kelly has Tennis at 8.30am and Emma has Netball at 9am. Kevin takes one and I go with the other to their games. Kelly is not well so Im hoping she can get through the doubles and she may have to forfeit the singles, we will see how she goes.

Im going to put the squares together that I made tonight. I also have my tunisian stitch sitting at the computer so everytime I sit here I do a row of that.

Have a great day everyone.

Im going to bed.

Archived