Vent about Mary Maxim

fnggrant

I hope this is the right area for this:

I wish they would sell the patterns also and not just the kits. I want the pattern for "Bears On My Blanket" and "Sweet Dreams Blanket" but nooo, they only sell the patterns after an item has been discontinued for a year. While searching online, I found many people also wanting the pattern, not the kit.

They could make more money if they sold patterns separately. I wish they would do the math.

I had to get that off my chest.

I know, I really like a lot of the patterns but I'm not mad about the yarn they send with the kits. I'd rather pick out my own yarn.

There was one kit I ordered for a baby blanket where they included some of the name-brand yarn that they were supposed to, but then threw in their brand for the rest. Luckily I was able to mix it up in the afghan well enough so that you didn't see the glaring difference in the quality of yarns (not to mention the mismatched dye lots), but someone not as experienced would have ended up horribly frustrated.

Also find that there kits don't include enough yarn even when you follow there instructions. Had to buy more yarn to finish an afghan.

That happened to me as well. I had gotten the Americana Flag kit. Loved the pattern (only got it for the pattern), ended up having to order extra yarn TWICE to finish it. The lady said that all the yarn that is sent with it is what is used to make it. I followed the pattern exactally like it said, even used the right sized hook, but needed extra blue for that.

The Flag turned out EXCELLENT. The winner of the raffle (I gave it to our local DAV for one of the first place prizes) was in love with it!!

I have at times, thought the same thing, but with having to order almost all my yarn and such over the internet, I find it easier to buy the kit. Especially for the Barbie doll type outfits.

Now if you go to Maggie's Crochet she carries al lot of the patterns that Mary Maxim has kits. Try there, if they don't have it, maybe you could contact them and they could check into for you.

Just a thought.:hook

I've been caught up in this too. I ordered kits from Mary Maxim several times, even though I just wanted the pattern. The yarn they send in the "kits" are awful. I prefer to pick out my own yarn too. I wish they would get the hint! If only those patterns weren't so tempting, you know, the patterns that swirl around in your mind saying, "I gotta have this!".....till you cave in and buy the whole kit. These companies know how to reach your change-purse. :irk

Now if you go to Maggie's Crochet she carries al lot of the patterns that Mary Maxim has kits. Try there, if they don't have it, maybe you could contact them and they could check into for you.

Are you serious??? I'll have to go check that out! Thanks! :c9

I don't order any longer from Mary Maxim but that is because of other problems I had with them.

But I have never ordered a kit from anyone. I tend to crochet (but not all of the time) a bit looser (sometimes have to go down at least two hook sizes, other times I can use the hook suggested, go figure) so most likely I would not have enough yarn. Plus I would rather pick out my own colors and yarn. In my little humble opinion, kits should be prepackaged beforehand and waiting to be ordered, not made up with half of one yarn and half of another. And having to purchase extra yarn could affect the overall look of the project.

I would rather purchase a pattern, then purchase the yarn needed for it. But that is me.

LI Roe

I have at times, thought the same thing, but with having to order almost all my yarn and such over the internet, I find it easier to buy the kit. Especially for the Barbie doll type outfits.

thanks. I'll check that out.

I hear your pain guys.

Several of my projects end up in Herschners or Mary Maxim and it saddens me when I hear this or that yarn has been discontinued and then the pattern goes away to never be seen again. I'm happy that my projects are being offered but once that color yarn is gone bam - so is my pattern :(

I do wish they'd offer the patterns as well but I don't see them doing that.

I'm not sure if Caron will offer the patterns I designed on their site after awhile. I'm not sure what kind of deal they have with Mary Maxim and Herschners...

I don't see them changing their ways though no matter how much we stamp our feet. I'd be thrilled if they did though because so often the color combos are not ones that someone else would want to choose.

Herschners use to offer the choice, but for some reason stopped.

I just ordered this doll kit from Mary Maxim, then I went on Maggie's Crochet and found it there just the pattern.

My only problem is that the pictures do not always show the correst color, as I found in an afghan kit I purchased.

I do wish they would just sell the pattern, but I also wish we had better yarn and craft stores here. One can dream:c9

Putting yarn in kits lets them get rid of yarn they don't want.They know that the pattern is desirable so they pair it up with yarn that's hard to sell and that gets rid of it.

Also find that there kits don't include enough yarn even when you follow there instructions. Had to buy more yarn to finish an afghan.

Yes, that happened to me with that baby blanket. It was a pain, because the kit was 39.99 or so, and with the extra yarn I had to get, the whole project ended up costing over $50!

You mean this one: http://www.maggiescrochet.com/sailor-doll-outfits-p-1489.html

Carol:hook

I just ordered this doll kit from Mary Maxim, then I went on Maggie's Crochet and found it there just the pattern.

My only problem is that the pictures do not always show the correst color, as I found in an afghan kit I purchased.

I do wish they would just sell the pattern, but I also wish we had better yarn and craft stores here. One can dream:c9

I was thinking about getting this doll kit also, but now that you found just the pattern, Not sure which one I should get. Are you glad you got the kit?????

I was thinking about getting this doll kit also, but now that you found just the pattern, Not sure which one I should get. Are you glad you got the kit?????

I have not gotten the kit yet. I have had several doll kits from Mary Maxim and except for one of the dolls, I have been happy with them.

The only kit I have been unhappy with was an afghan kit I purchased. I did not really like the color and the yarn did a lot of splitting on me. I do think in this paticular kit, they sent cheap yarn. But I got the kit for 1/2 price.:shrug

I think because of the doll, I would of still bought the kit. I have not seen 18" baby dolls in the stores, so I would have to send for it anyway.

I have a problem with supplies down here. I have to order most of what I need over the internet, so sometimes it is cheaper for me to order the whole kit. One example are the Paradise Doll Publications.

But this is my opinion.:hook

I got my doll kit today :cheerand boy am I happy with it. The doll has the baby face, yet it has the soft cloth body. I have not seen this doll, except for a very high price.

I can not wait to start the set.:hook

Archived