Captain Hook & the Yarn Pirates

JulieKay

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Judy

You're a speedy crocheter,so I bet you'll be ready to head back into here soon... you can whip out those babyghans faster than a speeding bullet !

I'm as slow as cold molasses .

Sherri- good job, it sounds like we'll see a finished project within a short time .

this is w hat I have done so far :lol

That is coming out great!!!

I need to squeeze in a few minutes to get a square done! I want to get this afghan done!!! its so cool! and all the pics of the ones done are making me want mine done too!

:heart

:mug

Good job LeAnna !

Thanks...it's a nice "mindless" project that I can do and talk to someone else and not worry about making a mistake...

Exciting discovery was yarn I forgot I had. Found 4 skeins of RHSS Coffee Fleck. I was wanting to make my favorite tunisian crochet shawl but didn't think I had enough of any one color to do it without buying more yarn. ( That is a no-no right now)

The flecks take away from the boring brown. Here is pic of pattern and start of mine. They are not very good but I hope they get the idea across. :yes

post-35625-135897505275_thumb.jpg

post-35625-135897505279_thumb.jpg

Wanda

Thanks for the photos. I really like the fleck yarns. I made an entire afghan with the brown fleck. I think it's really pretty with the tiny pieces of other colors in it . It also seems softer than regular brown RH yarn .

Sounds like you hit the jackpot !

Hey calling all ship mates! I need help with something and since this seems to be the place for intelligent people you know ALOT about yarn where else should I go?

Ok the deal is for my Small Business Management clas I am required to create a business plan from start to finish. ugh! I am doing this business plan on a dream of mine to open a LYS. The problem I am having is that to base my start up costs I need an idea of what the wholesale prices *could* be. I really don't need a specific dollar amount but a possible percentage of the item costs. Like out of the money you spend on lion brand yarn blank% is the wholesale cost. The problem I keep on having is that none of the yarn retailers want to even give me an idea of the % of cost.

So here I am begging for anyone who might have a very generic *IDEA* of an average wholesale cost please help a matey out and p.m. me!

Thank-you all!

Melany

I wish you all the luck in the world with this project,and if I had any input at all, I'd be happy to help, but I have no idea what things like that would be. I have never worked in a craft store or store of any type , so I have no clue what the markup of items is .

I hope someone who may have information like this might be able to help you.

Best of wishes with your class !

I can tell you from working at the warehouse for a collectibles company that the wholesale prices the retailers paid was half of the end price the final customer paid...so if the retailers paid $50 for something the end consumer paid $100...

I think the typical mark up is around 40% so 60% of lion brand yarn is what the retailer paid. I could be wrong though. Have you tried going to your LYS and asking them, just make sure you tell them you're doing a school project and not going to stop shopping with them.

Thank-you all for your help!

Graceylue- I wish I could however the closest yarns shops to me are all large retail chains...Honestly I think the closest individual LYS is 3 hours away!

I have an idea though... I'm talking to the professor about this complication and we are going to do so research and then make a reasonable estimate as to the mark-up % to be.

So again thank-you to those who had some great ideas and helped me out. :hugs

Morning ladies !

Good to see you here today .

Kathy- i'm excited to see your squares,and the color you are using . Is it orange or a rust, or gold ? I can't remember ever seeing a yarn called that, but I get very limited brands where I live so not too much to choose from .

Archived