Very Ugly Scrap of Scrap Afghan

Hookerangel

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love it. I love all scrap afghans. They are my very favorites

because each and every one of them are unique.

I love this one because the pattern is very different...

Did you find that pattern somewhere or did you make it up?

Linda :sun

http://madcrochetingfool1.blogspot.com

The pattern is from a book I bought in 1975! It is a pattern for a medallion and is called 'Spiral Hexagon' The book is called 'Good Housekeeping Knitting & Crochet' and my version is absolutely falling apart - it is so well used!

This is where I got the pattern - I dont know if it is available anywhere else. As I am from the UK my book is written in UK terms.

This is where I got the pattern - I dont know if it is available anywhere else. As I am from the UK my book is written in UK terms.

I looked for hours last night for a similar pattern and I cant find one at all. We might have to make one up. ;)

I found it!!! This literally took me HOURS to find.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/swirl-baby-blanket#

Yes MissColee that is definately it - well done! The pattern I work of is just a small spiral motif which I just keep increasing until I think its big enough. I'm soooo glad you found it and now everyone can try this to use up all their scraps. Look forward to seeing lots of 'beautiful' ulgy ghans!

I don't think it's ugly at all. I love scrap ghans! Years ago, I made a giant granny square out of scraps. Some scraps didn't even complete a row. No rhyme or reason, I just reached into the scrap basket and whatever I came up with went on the square. Mine actually WAS ugly. My dad loved it though, and used it forever. :)

I've seen some garish-looking scrap afghans, but this one is kind of cool looking. The way the colors merge and blend kind of reminds me of an American colonial rag rug -- in a good way, of course. I like the way the sides of the hexagons look sort of swirly, and I'm not sure how you achieved that.

Isn't it nice to know your gift is appreciated? I love to hear that somebody is enjoying something I've made - even if it isn't your favorite, somebody else is giving it a good home! :manyheart

How true! And she loves it. That's amazing!

:manyheart

I've seen some garish-looking scrap afghans, but this one is kind of cool looking. The way the colors merge and blend kind of reminds me of an American colonial rag rug -- in a good way, of course. I like the way the sides of the hexagons look sort of swirly, and I'm not sure how you achieved that.

I think it is just the design of the spirally pattern that makes it look swirly. You should definately try making one now MissColee has worked so hard to find the pattern for us. Truley after the first few rows you dont even have to think about the pattern and the main interest that keeps you going is adding all the different colours.. Very theraputic and addictive!

I think it is just the design of the spirally pattern that makes it look swirly. You should definately try making one now MissColee has worked so hard to find the pattern for us. Truley after the first few rows you dont even have to think about the pattern and the main interest that keeps you going is adding all the different colours.. Very theraputic and addictive!

Now that I've seen (and printed) the Swirly Baby Afghan pattern, I remember that I have it somewhere in my chaotic stash. It just looked different the way you did it. And I think I'll give it a "twirl," in my continuing but lackluster effort to reduce the yarn stash.

Another great scrap afghan I've seen -- for using up smaller balls of leftover yarn, rather than needing enough of one color for one round or more -- is one where you simply tie pieces together in a truly random fashion (taking them blindly out of a bag). The one I saw on ebay years ago used a front post double or treble crochet stitch every so often and really looked great. You don't even weave in the ends, but let them stick out. The person who made it probably didn't even use a pattern. It was surprisingly attractive.

Hookerangel, I was wondering how you tied them together...I hope that it doesn't sound crazy. But I was wondering if it made a difference.

Did you tie them all together first then crochet?

I love it and think it is very interesting...I don't have enough scraps yet but will keep this in mind for when I do!!

Hookerangel, I was wondering how you tied them together...I hope that it doesn't sound crazy. But I was wondering if it made a difference.

Did you tie them all together first then crochet?

I love it and think it is very interesting...I don't have enough scraps yet but will keep this in mind for when I do!!

KimberlyNC5 I dont tie the scraps of wool together I just add them in as I get them (thats probably why there is no real planning of colours and textures!) I just crochet over and weave in the tails if you know what I mean. When my DH photographed the scrapghan he actually had it the wrong way round ( I know this because I can see my wee label!) so it looks ok either way round and because its all sc when you crochet or weave in the tails they are not very noticable. They withstand washing as well and dont come apart. My DS is still using one I made for him when I was expecting him and he is now 23. I think the beauty of using this method is you can just add your scraps as you get them and watch your work grow wnd grow. It is a very easy and simple pattern (the instructions for the motif are only 5 rows long) and the interest and impetus to keep you going is the fact that nearly every row or couple of rows is different. Hope you give one a go.

KimberlyNC5 I dont tie the scraps of wool together I just add them in as I get them (thats probably why there is no real planning of colours and textures!) I just crochet over and weave in the tails if you know what I mean. When my DH photographed the scrapghan he actually had it the wrong way round ( I know this because I can see my wee label!) so it looks ok either way round and because its all sc when you crochet or weave in the tails they are not very noticable. They withstand washing as well and dont come apart. My DS is still using one I made for him when I was expecting him and he is now 23. I think the beauty of using this method is you can just add your scraps as you get them and watch your work grow wnd grow. It is a very easy and simple pattern (the instructions for the motif are only 5 rows long) and the interest and impetus to keep you going is the fact that nearly every row or couple of rows is different. Hope you give one a go.

Karen, how do you add them. I am fairly new to crochet and I don't how to do this. Do you tie the colors off and then add a new one?

Do you have the pattern?

I may have confused the issue by mentioning a type of scrap afghan where you do tie scraps together and leave the ends sticking out on the front of the afghan. So I'll explain how I normally change colors on a piece:

When I have about 5 or 6 inches of yarn left, I leave the last two loops of the last stitch I did on the hook, then take the next color of yarn in my left hand and pull it through those two loops, working the next couple of stitches over the loose ends on the back of the piece to secure them. I then weave those ends through the back of the piece after it's completed.

I believe there's a video on youtube.com on how to change colors that would probably be a lot clearer than my verbal description.

Some people do tie yarn together then weave in the ends later, and I did this when I first started crocheting, worried that otherwise my work would ravel. But using the other techique makes for a smoother piece.

Archived