Need tropical baby ideas

Welcome to a brain-picking session!

Our neighbors have been extremely generous and friendly with us since we've moved here, and they're expecting their fourth child in February. They don't know the gender yet.

I want to give them something superlatively special for their baby, to show our love and appreciation for them. Unfortunately, the frigid depths of winter here have the temperature around 75 degrees Fareneheit, and that only lasts a few weeks. Generally speaking, we're looking at it being in the high 90s most days of the year. I could crochet a cap, but any other thing I can traditionally think of to crochet for a baby - booties, blankets, sweaters, layettes - would be too warm and wouldn't get used.

My other difficulty is yarn. I'm not where I can purchase cotton easily, and the acrylic here is very scratchy. I have 6 balls of Peaches N Cream in various, unmatched colors and 4 balls of Sugar N Cream, also in unmatched colors.

I could do some soft toys and washcloths. Does anyone else have any other suggestions? I would really love to do something adorable. I did a short search on the Ville, but didn't find a thread quickly that fit this topic.

~ Joy

hello!

Baby bibs are great gifts http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/baby_bibs.php

Baby Toys, Washcloths, Etc.http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/baby_misc.php

here are the rest of the baby items at crochey pattern central http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/baby_selection.php

I hope this helps

There was a post earlier about the "bubble" blanket/afghan - it would be too heavy as a cover, but nice for a play rug type thing.

I really like the idea of washcloths as well, you can never have too many!

Don't discount afghans. They are good for many things depending on the pattern you pick:

floor mats

nursing covers

draped over bassinet but not touching baby to keep flies off

keep the chill off if there is ac somewhere

That's just a few things and your nylon yarn would work great for a couple of those. The cotton could be used to make granny type afghans.

As for other things:

bibs (already mentioned)

burb cloths (already mentioned)

wash cloths (already mentioned)

bottle covers

diaper bag

pacifier holder/clippie

mobile

toys

rattle

writs rattle

booties (not too hot made out of cotton)

baby sandles

light sweater/cardigan for outings

edging around a store bought recieving blanket or piece of flannel or maybe cotton

The list is endless if you really think about it and look around CPC.

I'm in Florida and it is just WARM this fall. The temps do go down in the winter tho.

Just because your local stores don't have what you want doesn't mean you can't get it. Online shopping is a must for me. I live an hour from the craft stores and my Walmart has a horrible selection.

I love shopping at JoAnns online http://www.joann.com/joann/ when they have their sales and free shipping. there are quite a few reputable online stores and don't forget ebay. As long as you're careful you can find a lot of good deals.

An example - I just sold a lot of 8 size 10 thread knit cro sheen (all matching dye lots) for $5 plus $5 shipping. Where else can you get that much thread for $10?!?

I would go for a cotton baby ghan but don't use the kitchen cotton (peaches or sugagr and cream). Berbat handicrafter is a really soft cotton and it's still on the really cheap side too.

I recently made a baby blankie - as more of a floor ghan and a matching granny square cover to keep the bottle warm. I rather like that idea and I think I will do it for other charity blast events. our local pregnancy support centre can use them.

Oh and a useful item is a soother keeper. They are generally well used even if they don't seem like much in a gift basket.

. Online shopping is a must for me. I live an hour from the craft stores and my Walmart has a horrible selection.

I love shopping at JoAnns online http://www.joann.com/joann/ when they have their sales and free shipping. .

Thanks, RoseRed! The mail service isn't reliable in Honduras, so online shopping isn't the option for me here that it is in the States. However, I'm glad to see such high praise for JoAnns online and will keep them in mind when I'm living back in the States. You're right - $10 for all that thread is a steal.

youcanmakethis.com has a really cute pattern for baby sandals that work up really quick. I made a few pairs over the summer and each pair only took about an hour to make.

They look really cute! Thanks for the idea, Diana - this will fit into my very weird and limited yarn selection much better than doing a baby afghan.

Except for the sandals, I think I've decided to make lots of small things the baby won't be wearing. I have about one ball each of very, VERY different colors (like orange/lime varigated and brown/red varigated and yellow/white varigated . . .) and doing a project that requires more than one ball isn't going to work colorwise.

If you can get thread like size 10, you can make a light blanket they could use to cover the baby when they go outside. It'll cover the baby from the sun and the wind without being too hot. I think I'll make one for my neice too. Her due date is christmas day. :c9 Everyone elses ideas are very good too. One thing I'd make is the burp cloth. Thats one thing I think that will be very useful. :yes

They look really cute! Thanks for the idea, Diana - this will fit into my very weird and limited yarn selection much better than doing a baby afghan.

Except for the sandals, I think I've decided to make lots of small things the baby won't be wearing. I have about one ball each of very, VERY different colors (like orange/lime varigated and brown/red varigated and yellow/white varigated . . .) and doing a project that requires more than one ball isn't going to work colorwise.

Archived