How many is to many?

I have made my sister 5 afghans, 2 lapghans and she got one I made my mom when she passed away. (making her a pillow and slippers this year)

I have plans for an afghan for her next year that just screams I need to make it for her. It is a butterfly made with 2.5 inch squares. She just loves butterflies.

When is enough enough? She uses all but three. That I know of.

So when it enough enough?

I agree with Beth. I live in hot hot Florida and have many afghans/blankets that I never use (except for decoration on the backs of my recliners and couch). If she loves them, make them for her.

:turtle:vheart

Just ask her (and ask her for an honest answer). I know someone who got rid of a huge pile of beautiful afghans her MIL made for her and her kids. She made some comment to me which indicated she had no appreciation for them at all. I felt bad for her MIL who put in so much time and work to make them.

If she is gaga :loco for butterflies and this new afghan is a butterfly afghan, I say don't ruin the surprise and just make it for her.

I am of the opinion one could never have too many afghans especially if they are all different patterns and colors. And this one is a special pattern suited to something she really likes. :manyheart

Here is my out, JIC- she is your sister so you know best! :lol

I agree, I'd just ask her, explaining that you fear that you might be over-afghaning her and that all she needs to do is say "when" should you ever reach that point. I don't have a sister, but would think you could share most anything(?)

In the same vein, but from a bit different perspective, I have a difficult time making anything 'substantial' (larger than slippers, scarf or other tuck-awayables) for family and friends...."What if they don't like it?" "What if it's not their style/preference/whathaveyou?"; "What if they prefer sleek store-bought fleece over handcrafted crochet?"...You name the concern and I've thought of it.... So, I stick to items that they can tuck into a drawer so that should they not like/want/need/use it, they won't feel that they're insulting me when I visit. I make quality items (I feel), but I've been known to precede a handcrafted gift with "If you find it's not something you'd use, please feel free to pass it on." or something to make light of the situation. I usually just refrain from such gifts so as not to 'impose'. I have a lovely Seraphina shawl that I just completed, that I'd like to give to a SIL but will likely put under the giving tree at church this Christmas season instead. I think too much! lol

I agree to me you can never have enough afghans or quilts for me in my house its quilts that take over more than afghans but I have several over the couch or chairs and also turned them into wall hangings I love them and love to just "decorate" with them even if it is 110 out side

I would ask her; like Jeannej said, tell her to feel free to say "when".

You said she uses all but three---is there a reason that you know of that she doesn't use those three? Might be a clue there about her wants/needs.

I am of the opinion that it is possible to have too much of anything so i can see where there might come a point when she would feel she really can't use any more.

I also overthink gifts sometimes;)

Two of the three are from my "early" days and I was still learning. They are not as nice as the others.

One is the one she got that I made for my mother. She does not want to mess it up. Mother loved it so much she almost was buried with it but decided one of us should have it cause it was to pretty to bury.

I agree with everyone, just ask. My son isn't into the whole crochet thing ( he is only 7) and thinks anything made out of crochet is for girls. I have 2 nieces that I love making stuff for, but felt like I was doing too much and that my sister didn't want anymore, so I stopped making things for them. My sister noticed and asked if I had stopped crocheting! So I started again and figure she will tell me when enough is enough, and I will not be hurt by it.

I agree to me you can never have enough afghans or quilts for me in my house its quilts that take over more than afghans but I have several over the couch or chairs and also turned them into wall hangings I love them and love to just "decorate" with them even if it is 110 out side

Absolutely! I feel the same way! If it were up to me, I'd have an afghan over the back of every couch and chair in the house, and a couple folded up at the foot of the bed for those brutally cold nights. Of course, I make them and give them to everyone ELSE to put over their couches, chairs, and the bottoms of their beds, but I never get around to making my own. I wish I had a sister like you to make them for me! :lol

Think Ill make this one I have planed for 2010 and then ask her how she feels about more. lol This one really does scream her name and she well love it better then any of the others.

Only problem is then what do I make her then? lol She does not use scarfs, hats or shawls. I can't make cloths or anything with thread. Maybe by then Ill have money and can buy something for her.

Only problem is then what do I make her then? lol She does not use scarfs, hats or shawls. I can't make cloths or anything with thread.

dishcloths

washcloths

hand towels

placemats

pillows

wallhanging

"vase" for dried flowers

tablecloth

curtains

Since you said that the afghan is made out of squares you could always turn it into a pillowghan (I think there is a CAL going on for it right now) so that she could fold it up into a pillow and use it that way as well as a blanket (pillowghans are great because you can use the pocket to keep your feet extra warm and cozy).

I asked her yesterday. (We both play Everquest so asked her while we were playing lol)

She said she had enough atm. So I made a joke and told her to use the ones she has so they can get raggy. (I know she uses them.) She replied. "I do use them I just take care of them.)

So the one I have in mind for her well have a to wait a couple year. For 2010 she well get a pineapple kitchen set or two depending on how hard it is to make.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Archived